The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) Appreciation Thread (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239)

Bob C Cue 07-09-2015 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 3296154)
Yo PBC Appreciators :-D

I just received some exciting news! It looks like Noah, the creator of the Pit Barrel Cooker, will be joining us for the Chicago Area Gathering on the 19th! Besides selling a popular cooker, Noah has been a strong backer of the forum so it will be cool to meet him!

If you are in the area and want to join us the details are in the link above and in my signature.

Will be a great opportunity for PBC noobies and oldies a like to say hello to Noah and perhaps pick up some tips and tricks. Anyone within a 4 hour drive should come!

Ron_L 07-09-2015 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fwismoker (Post 3296168)
I'm not sure I want to drive 3 hours there and 3 back...just wish i was a little closer.

It will be worth the drive even if Noah wasn't coming!

AClarke44 07-09-2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 3296154)
Yo PBC Appreciators :-D

I just received some exciting news! It looks like Noah, the creator of the Pit Barrel Cooker, will be joining us for the Chicago Area Gathering on the 19th! Besides selling a popular cooker, Noah has been a strong backer of the forum so it will be cool to meet him!

If you are in the area and want to join us the details are in the link above and in my signature.

Wow that's awesome! I sure wish I could make it. I think the bash alone would be fun but I also think I'd be great to get to meet and chat with Noah!......

Fwismoker 07-09-2015 05:59 PM

What's the most butts anyone here has hung? I'm thinking of attempting 4-5 8 lb butts.

I wouldn't be pulling them and foiling...thinking of going to 190 ish and into the cooler to finish. Maybe double hooking under the bone and one below that so it would be hooked a total of 3 times.

Thoughts? OBTW I'm going to have a diffuser under them so they'd never end up in the fire...worst case would be knocking the diffuser down but nothing would end up in ash.

Edit: I put a cooking grate to hold my diffuser, Now there is zero chance on them falling in the fire. Yep I'm doing this!

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/...pstpgy5rv5.jpg

AClarke44 07-10-2015 09:52 AM

I won't be able to cook on mine this weekend so I'm gonna have to live vicariously through you guys. Post some pics of your PBC cooks for me! Lol. :mrgreen:

Bob C Cue 07-10-2015 10:24 AM

If weather cooperates I am going to cook some chickens today and baste with melted butter per Steve Raichlen's recipe.

AClarke44 07-10-2015 11:21 AM

That sounds great! Loking forward to seeing the results :thumb:

Fwismoker 07-10-2015 11:24 AM

So what's the most bone in butts someone has hung?? If the suckers fall at least i'll know they're done! I'm only concerned with the grease but I'd trim off the fat cap completely.

AClarke44 07-10-2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fwismoker (Post 3296958)
So what's the most bone in butts someone has hung?? If the suckers fall at least i'll know they're done! I'm only concerned with the grease but I'd trim off the fat cap completely.

I've only done one so far but if I'm not mistaken 16Adams has done 3-4. I know he's pushed the capacity of his PBC and said everything turned out great. He never mentioned problems with too much grease. Maybe he will chime in.

Fwismoker 07-10-2015 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AClarke44 (Post 3296967)
I've only done one so far but if I'm not mistaken 16Adams has done 3-4. I know he's pushed the capacity of his PBC and said everything turned out great. He never mentioned problems with too much grease. Maybe he will chime in.

OK thanks, If he doesn't I'll check with him. The only difference is i'll hang the whole time and won' t pull early.

AClarke44 07-10-2015 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fwismoker (Post 3296976)
OK thanks, If he doesn't I'll check with him. The only difference is i'll hang the whole time and won' t pull early.

Just watch it so it doesn't fall. Even if you don't wrap you may have to finish on the grate.

Mike Twangzer 07-10-2015 11:45 AM

Just an fyi ... If it gets too close to probe tender ... it's gonna go caveman. Might suggest using plenty of twine and make sure the hook under the twine. Someone needs to make a safety net to place each butt in to hang. ...

Fwismoker 07-10-2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AClarke44 (Post 3296982)
Just watch it so it doesn't fall. Even if you don't wrap you may have to finish on the grate.

No worries....Did you see what mine is falling on? I have a grate it'll land on if it did fall.

Mike Twangzer 07-10-2015 01:07 PM

FWISMOKER, please elaborate on your diffuser plate... how made ... use ... notice any difference ... purpose thx

Fwismoker 07-10-2015 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Twangzer (Post 3297052)
FWISMOKER, please elaborate on your diffuser plate... how made ... use ... notice any difference ... purpose thx

When I made the cooker the bottom piece I cut out of the stainless steel pot i used as a diffuser...just drilled holes in it. I like it because it evens out heat especially when i minion burn, catches some excess grease and prevents the meats from ever getting scorched when grate cooking. The meats still get plenty of direct heat using a holy diffuser.

If i'm hanging I wouldn't normally use it but it's sure gonna be nice in this application hanging multiple butts and will be my de facto safety net! Well I guess I don't need it because the grate would catch anything but i want it to catch a little grease.

It'll be interesting if I can prevent them from falling though, I'll post pics on how i hook them.... I figure hooking 3-4 places just might do it. I never foil butts so it'll be real nice if I can hang the whole time.