The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pork Butts (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254690)

IamMadMan 12-07-2017 05:26 PM

Pork Butts

I bought a case of pork shoulder butts, 8) 8 lb butts (aprox weights).

Trimmed the fat down to 1/8 inch or less.

Coated with Oakridge Competition Beef and Pork Rub, ready for the refrigerator.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...417359/enhance

These will sit overnight, then get a light dusting of Oakridge Secret Weapon before going into the smoker tomorrow morning for a "Low and Slow" cook.

I have peach and plum wood chunks separated for the cook. Will fire up the Humphrey's Down East Beast about 5:00 am

To be continued......

Stingerhook 12-07-2017 05:30 PM

Looking forward to it.

Happy Hapgood 12-07-2017 07:16 PM

BAM Brother! I'm tuned in.

wire-it-up 12-07-2017 07:49 PM

Looks great. I'm getting hungry for pulled pork myself. Been a while since I made any. It's pretty cold here now, and we got our first snow today. But I have a Humphrey's as well, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs in really cold weather. I expect it to rock on, being insulated and all. Looking forward to more pics of this cook.

SMetroHawkeye 12-07-2017 08:01 PM

This is just the motivation I was looking for.... Giddyup MadMan! I think a trip to the butcher is just what the doctor ordered - and Boston Butt is on the menu!

Never tried peach or plum fruitwood. What's the flavor profile you get from this fruitwood, combined with the Oakridge seasoning, that makes it special?

16Adams 12-07-2017 09:12 PM

Aggressive Cook!! Have fun.

aerotech11 12-07-2017 09:17 PM

Looks great. I've been wanting to try oak ridge rubs myself.

bonz50 12-07-2017 09:17 PM

nice!!!!!

Ag76 12-07-2017 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamMadMan (Post 3913073)
I bought a case of pork shoulder butts, 8) 8 lb butts (aprox weights).

Trimmed the fat down to 1/8 inch or less.

Coated with Oakridge Competition Beef and Pork Rub, ready for the refrigerator.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...417359/enhance

These will sit overnight, then get a light dusting of Oakridge Secret Weapon before going into the smoker tomorrow morning for a "Low and Slow" cook.

I have peach and plum wood chunks separated for the cook. Will fire up the Humphrey's Down East Beast about 5:00 am

To be continued......

You didn't inject with OakRidge Game Changer? If not, why? I have been planning on trying it based on your recommendation.

IamMadMan 12-08-2017 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMetroHawkeye (Post 3913156)
This is just the motivation I was looking for.... Giddyup MadMan! I think a trip to the butcher is just what the doctor ordered - and Boston Butt is on the menu!

Never tried peach or plum fruitwood. What's the flavor profile you get from this fruitwood, combined with the Oakridge seasoning, that makes it special?

The flavor of the Oakridge rubs are savory and always consistent, I like the fact that they are low salt and low sugar content.

The peach and plum fruit wood just imparts a milder, sweeter, smoke flavor than hickory, mesquite, or pecan; and it just has a tad bit more smoke flavor than apple or cherry.

The injection imparts a very mild sweetness deep into the meat, complimenting the natural flavors of the pork. I'm using a light sweet smoke because the pulled pork will be served on savory (not sweet) waffle wedges (in lieu of traditional rolls), lightly drizzled with a hint of sweet but tart Raspberry/Blueberry BBQ sauce.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag76 (Post 3913183)
You didn't inject with OakRidge Game Changer? If not, why? I have been planning on trying it based on your recommendation.

Not left out of the process, just done in a different order today.

I normally inject the butts as I ready the smoker, then apply the rub.

Due to volume and time constraints for this cook, I applied the rub the night before. I will use Oakridge Game Changer with fresh apple cider, before getting the final coat of Oakridge Secret Weapon rub.

Game Changer Brine injections are a regular part of my pork cooks. With the amount of flavor imparted, I would never cook without it. Think of it as saying I'm driving to the store, one doesn't say they will turn the ignition switch because it's part of the process. Sorry I didn't specify, but you'll see it in the pictures posted later it's there.

Thanks for looking....

ebijack 12-08-2017 04:38 AM

Something you might want to try sometime for your large cooks of shoulders. You can try it on a single butt to test. Put butts on smoker naked. Smoke as usual. Add the drippings and rubs to the pork as you pull it. Mix fully.
It saves alot of time when doing 40+ butts. End product comes out great. You still have crispy fat etc. But there tends to be more of a flavor from the rub, when mixed in the meat when shreading compared to rub just on the outside. We typically get 3-4 butts shredded per full hotel pan. We (Diesel Dave)stopped injecting and rubbing first a few years ago for the shoulders. Big time saver, and no complaints.
Just a thought.

IamMadMan 12-08-2017 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebijack (Post 3913232)
Something you might want to try sometime for your large cooks of shoulders. You can do it on a single butt. Put butts on smoker naked. Smoke as usual. Add the drippings and rubs to the pork as you pull it. Mix fully.
It saves alot of time when doing 40+ butts. End product comes out great. You still have crispy fat etc. But there tends to be more of a flavor from the rub, when mixed in the meat when shreading compared to rub just on the outside. We typically get 3-4 butts shredded per full hotel pan. We (Diesel Dave)stopped injecting and rubbing first a few years ago for the shoulders. Big time saver, and no complaints.
Just a thought.

Thanks ebjack,

I always catch the dripping in full size hotel pans, and refrigerate them to harden the fat for easy removal,while the meat is holding for a few hours. Just before serving the drippings and the pulled pork are reunited with another very light sprinkle of rub.

EDIT:
Actually I threw an additional plain but on to test. Sometimes change is hard, but at least I'll give it a test run. Thanks...
My wife say's I'm OCD because I fight change, and I like things done in a specific manner. LOL

Big George's BBQ 12-08-2017 10:53 AM

Looking forward to watching this what is the special occassion

brdbbq 12-08-2017 12:44 PM

your post cost me money and I gain weight.:becky:

Smoking Piney 12-08-2017 01:15 PM

I guess you're feeding an army. :-P

I love the Oakridge Competition Rub.