The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

B4tn 05-28-2015 12:14 PM

Thanks, the ace guy gave me troubles telling me I don't want stainless bolts because they corrode and are weak. I told him they are not strength bearing and explaned why and he told me that stainless bolts like that don't exists. OK:rolleyes: At home depot they had like mentioned above a large stainless section hanging in bags but all in smaller sizes. Lowes was pretty much the same as home depot. I might look into soaking them.

b.m. 05-28-2015 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B4tn (Post 3255032)
Did anyone else have a hard time finding Stainless steel nuts, bolts, and washers for the charcoal basket? I have been to Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace and all they have zinc plated.

McMaster Carr

You'd be buying by the box of 50 or 100 pcs, but the prices end up about the same as buying screws/bolts/nuts individually at a hardware store.

BM

rifraf 05-29-2015 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B4tn (Post 3255032)
Did anyone else have a hard time finding Stainless steel nuts, bolts, and washers for the charcoal basket? I have been to Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace and all they have zinc plated.

Don't waste your time by soaking the zinc hardware. Do your self a favor and buy a weed burner from harbor fright (http://m.harborfreight.com/propane-t...ter-91037.html) and just burn the stuff off. The zinc will turn to a yellow powder on the hardware and will wire brush off easy. No chance or guess work if the vinegar removed the coating. Plus the weed burn is the quickest way to start the charcoal in the fire basket. Just point the flame in the center of the basket and wait till the lit coals are about 8-10 inches in diameter. Usually takes me 45 seconds to get that achieved. Good luck either way you decide to go!!

Bob C Cue 05-29-2015 04:28 PM

If anyone in the Fenton, MO area is looking for a 55 gallon drum, I have noticed one over the last month or so sitting behind a gas station/restaurant building. I believe it actually was used by a food truck operation that also had a small restaurant. They have moved or went out of business and it looks like another food truck operation will be opening in the coming weeks. I really don't think anyone would mind if you go pick it up. It does look to be about a 1/3 full of chocolate syrup and seems to have the red lining. PM me if you are interested for more details.

[IMG]http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2hcgiqp8.jpg[/IMG]

B4tn 05-29-2015 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rifraf (Post 3255662)
Don't waste your time by soaking the zinc hardware. Do your self a favor and buy a weed burner from harbor fright (http://m.harborfreight.com/propane-t...ter-91037.html) and just burn the stuff off. The zinc will turn to a yellow powder on the hardware and will wire brush off easy. No chance or guess work if the vinegar removed the coating. Plus the weed burn is the quickest way to start the charcoal in the fire basket. Just point the flame in the center of the basket and wait till the lit coals are about 8-10 inches in diameter. Usually takes me 45 seconds to get that achieved. Good luck either way you decide to go!!

I picked up one those weed burners a couple weeks ago. $16 after discounts and a 20% off coupon. Best $16 tool I have ever bought. I love this thing and am burning everything I can find now lol.

On another note, I did find the hardware today. I went to a different ace and was in and out in 10 minutes.

rifraf 05-30-2015 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B4tn (Post 3256432)
I picked up one those weed burners a couple weeks ago. $16 after discounts and a 20% off coupon. Best $16 tool I have ever bought. I love this thing and am burning everything I can find now lol.

On another note, I did find the hardware today. I went to a different ace and was in and out in 10 minutes.

The weed burner is a gift straight from heaven. Glad you found the hardware!!

DMP 06-02-2015 07:28 PM

Probably have 10 cooks so far on my UDS. It holds a temp like a champ. Longest I have paid attention to it is 14 hrs. Held 250 for that long. Never have to adjust a thing once it gets to temp.

Problem is I can't seem to get enough smoke flavor in the meat. Or atleast not like I can with my offset smoker. Anyone else had this issue? I add more wood every cook. Last time I actually put a piece of hickory in vertically in the center of my basket from top to bottom and filled around it with charcoal and more wood chunks.

rifraf 06-03-2015 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMP (Post 3260505)
Problem is I can't seem to get enough smoke flavor in the meat. Or atleast not like I can with my offset smoker. Anyone else had this issue? I add more wood every cook. Last time I actually put a piece of hickory in vertically in the center of my basket from top to bottom and filled around it with charcoal and more wood chunks.

What kind of charcoal are you using?

BubbleheadBBQ 06-03-2015 09:24 AM

I love my weed burner. I just ground the lid off my drum and I'll be using the weed burner to burn it out next. Slowly making progress.

SmittyJonz 06-03-2015 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMP (Post 3260505)
Probably have 10 cooks so far on my UDS. It holds a temp like a champ. Longest I have paid attention to it is 14 hrs. Held 250 for that long. Never have to adjust a thing once it gets to temp.

More wood chunks - Hickory, Pecan or Mesquite.

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/...psbxcng1um.jpg

B4tn 06-04-2015 04:58 PM

I have a few cooks on my UDS. Still learning it but one thing that annoys me is that the lid fits really tight. I have to give a good push to get it to set properly and a good yank to get it off which usually means disturbed ashes all over. I was thinking of putting a rope gasket in the lip of the lid so it still seals around the lip but doesn't fit all the way down tight. What's everyone's thoughts on a stove gasket with high temp permatex holding it in place?

DMP 06-04-2015 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rifraf (Post 3260919)
What kind of charcoal are you using?

Kingsford

rifraf 06-04-2015 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMP (Post 3262521)
Kingsford

With any thing other the lump charcoal you will just need to add more wood chunks to achieve the flavor you are looking for. Personally I use royal oak lump in the green bag cause it is very consistent and I get it for $2.99 for 8lb bag on sale before Memorial Day from Menards. I usually pick up about 40 bags which usually last till next years sale. I found I don't have to use as much wood then with briquettes. Plus you are left with almost a 1/4 of ash the briquettes produce.

SmittyJonz 06-04-2015 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B4tn (Post 3262431)
I have a few cooks on my UDS. Still learning it but one thing that annoys me is that the lid fits really tight. I have to give a good push to get it to set properly and a good yank to get it off which usually means disturbed ashes all over. I was thinking of putting a rope gasket in the lip of the lid so it still seals around the lip but doesn't fit all the way down tight. What's everyone's thoughts on a stove gasket with high temp permatex holding it in place?

Lid don't need to seal tight. As long as it doesn't let temps climb. I dropped mine a few times so it sticks - I just set it on lightly. You could take pliers and bend the lip out a hair - all way around or anywhere you see it bent in a bit - which is what I need to do but ain't done it yet.

SmittyJonz 06-04-2015 10:16 PM

I find Temps with Lump too up n down so I run KBB with a bunch of wood chunks and get plenty of smoke flavor and long steady temps. Plus I like to stock up when KBB is half price at Memorial Day and Labor Day.