• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What's Your Favorite SPG?

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm about to compete in my first SCA Steak cookoff. I've tried Kosmos Texas Beef and Killer Hogs A.P. rub. Both are very different from each other, but I like both very much.

But what is your favorite SPG/base layer type rub, especially for beef?

Lawry's Total Seasoning. For awhile I didn't even realize it didn't have pepper in it. It's garlic,onion,salt,oregano,parsley, and cilantro. Dont be fooled because it's mass produced. It's VERY good.

I'm about to compete in my first SCA Steak cookoff. I've tried Kosmos Texas Beef and Killer Hogs A.P. rub. Both are very different from each other, but I like both very much.

But what is your favorite SPG/base layer type rub, especially for beef?

I did one SCA event and got 9th out of 44 teams. I cooked indirect on a Kettle with Slow & Sear using flaming mesquite chunks. Cook direct to get the grill marks, then moved to indirect to finish. I used a 50/50 mix of Sucklebusters SPG and Adkins Ranch Style Steak Seasoning (I got at HEB).

People were marinating their steaks in all kinds of junk, and tying them up with cooking twine to "shape" them. I did nothing. I literally sat there and did nothing while watching people trim and tie their steaks for an hour. I took 4 minutes and trimmed a tad bit of fat off and edge and sprinkled a little of my seasoning mix on on both sides. That's it.

I'd keep it simple and don't over complicate it. When I saw people tying with strings I was thinking "Crap, I may be out of my league". I saw none of the string tying people around me get calls. In the end I beat them all. I think good flavor beats a steak that looks like it was stamped out.

Your milage may vary.

Last edited:
I did one SCA event and got 9th out of 44 teams. I cooked indirect on a Kettle with Slow & Sear using flaming mesquite chunks. Cook direct to get the grill marks, then moved to indirect to finish. I used a 50/50 mix of Sucklebusters SPG and Adkins Ranch Style Steak Seasoning (I got at HEB).

People were marinating their steaks in all kinds of junk, and tying them up with cooking twine to "shape" them. I did nothing. I literally sat there and did nothing while watching people trim and tie their steaks for an hour. I took 4 minutes and trimmed a tad bit of fat off and edge and sprinkled a little of my seasoning mix on on both sides. That's it.

I'd keep it simple and don't over complicate it. When I saw people tying with strings I was thinking "Crap, I may be out of my league". I saw none of the string tying people around me get calls. In the end I beat them all. I think good flavor beats a steak that looks like it was stamped out.

Your milage may vary.

I totally agree. No way I'm doing string or food glue or any other of that garbage. If looks were the primary criteria, I would not even enter. I love that SCA allows no garnish in the box. I wish KCBS would get rid of that mess too. Flavor is King. Texture is important. Appearance is for the French. Vive la tastery! šŸ˜€

My two favorite steak seasonings are;
1) Ted and Barney's Meat Seasoning
2) Oakridge Carne Crosta

The Oakridge Carne Crosta needs to be cooked over hot coals to give it that wonderful crust full of flavor.

Been contemplating on the Q salt. Does it resemble any other product? So many of the Canadian steak rubs are too similar. Hate to add another bottle of rub that is similar to one
I already have.

Been contemplating on the Q salt. Does it resemble any other product? So many of the Canadian steak rubs are too similar. Hate to add another bottle of rub that is similar to one
I already have.

Its glorified s&p but much more. Its grind size and taste works well for bbq and grilling it's not Montreal steak season.

Worth a try to support a brethren

407 BBQ Rub. My new favorite for beef. Better than SM Peppered Cow which was my previous favorite for beef.

I mean if you're gonna nitpick the wording, AT LEAST give us your S P G ratio!! :)

Q-salt

I ordered it when I tried harvest brine and have been surprised how much I enjoyed it

Same here. I've been introduced to BPS, SM, & Oakridge rubs since I've started participating here and while they're all fantastic, Q Salt is my favorite find. I've really enjoyed it on chicken, beef, and veggies. Fantastic all around seasoning.

I mean if you're gonna nitpick the wording, AT LEAST give us your S P G ratio!! :)

I emailed Malcom Reed for his ratio, and he gave me:

1 C salt
1/2 C granulated garlic
1/4 C ground black pepper

for the basic recipe. It's worked well for me, if it's maybe a bit too salty. Next batch, I might do 3/4 C salt.

(all measurements by weight)
2 parts Kosher salt
3 parts medium grind black pepper
1/4 part granulated garlic

Yeah, but I think we understand the spirit of the thread.

For instance, my favorite SPG (based rub) is John Henry's Garlic Mojave.

Imma be honest & plead ignorance here. I seriously had no idea there was an entire segment of rubs that people called SPG. Whenever I have ever heard anyone talk about SPG, or whenever I have said SPG, it has literally ONLY meant salt, pepper, and garlic.

I guess I learned something today. Thanks for that!

Back