The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food Handling General Discussion (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Cleaning Expanded Metal Cooking racks (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262388)

Kfrog55 07-09-2018 09:37 AM

Cleaning Expanded Metal Cooking racks

Any suggestions for what works best to clean these? I'm using a Humprey's Battlebox and after the first few cooks washing the racks in the home sink have been a disaster. Sink to small big mess everywhere. I've read that some people use a weed torch and wire brush to get them clean afterwards. I'm starting to see the convenience in rounded metal stainless steel ones. Any suggestions would be welcome, and thanks.

Jousting Pigs 07-09-2018 10:48 AM

Degreaser and a power washer work pretty well if you want them back to bare metal. A ball of aluminum foil works great to the all the big chunks off.

sudsandswine 07-09-2018 11:07 AM

I power wash mine every 3 to 5 cooks, depending how big/messy they've been, and just spot treat with balled up foil to knock the chunks off in between. Running the cooker for a bit after the meat comes off tends to help.

Bshep 08-01-2018 09:19 AM

Simple green mixture and power wash here...sometimes I go to the car wash if I have a pile of racks and don't want to stain the grass.

Czarbecue 08-06-2018 09:21 PM

A weed burner will warp the expanded metal if it's near the center with no rod support. It *might* go back to it's original shape after it cools but you don't want to risk it just to get the food burned off. I got a $10 kiddie pool and just soak my grates in there.

Joe Black 08-07-2018 04:48 PM

I use degreaser and a wire brush, then squirt them with the hose. Be careful about little wires stuck in the expanded metal.

IamMadMan 08-07-2018 06:29 PM

I have the Humphreys Down East Beast, I seasoned them well when I bought them, and I only have to brush them while they are still hot and everything just falls off.

Occasionally when I get lazy and don't brush when they are still hot, stuff will stick, and the weed burner works great, or I just set them on the Weber when I'm done grilling to get them hot, then brush.

The new stainless grates are really nice too, they just wipe clean. But they are $60.00 plus shipping... another added expense that may not be necessary for you.

armor 08-07-2018 09:58 PM

I use the orange citric degreaser from HD . throw them on a wooden pallet and powerwash

Sakamoto 09-21-2018 02:16 PM

I have placed them in a self cleaning oven and it worked pretty well.