The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Unfathomable Bastid 11-22-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokerKing (Post 1464156)
In the range of 200-300 degrees, my drum can be 30-40 degrees hotter in the center compared to the edge installed analog with the 2.5" probe. I've read where others on this forum have seen as much as 50 degrees.

My drum temps seem to balance out on both the digital and analog around 300 degrees and above.

You may want to also minimize the amount of charcoal you use, 15 lbs. is a lot.

Well then there it is - Thanks a ton SmokerKing!

If Im reading 225 at the side, my precious brisket likely was cooking at 275 or more for all those hours. That would likely explain what went wrong.

A Maverick digital over thermometer is the ticket? Is that the best brand for such a purpose? Also, should I drill another hole at grate level for this purpose, or should I feed it in through the exhaust vent?

SmokerKing 11-22-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unfathomable Bastid (Post 1464165)
Well then there it is - Thanks a ton SmokerKing!

If Im reading 225 at the side, my precious brisket likely was cooking at 275 or more for all those hours. That would likely explain what went wrong.

A Maverick digital over thermometer is the ticket? Is that the best brand for such a purpose? Also, should I drill another hole at grate level for this purpose, or should I feed it in through the exhaust vent?

I like the Mavericks, they have held up good for me and the transmission distance hasn't been an issue. Easy to use and they have a dual probe transmitter/receiver.

I drill two holes in my UDS's, a lower one for the center probe entry and the upper for the meat. I then in install some electrical clamp connectors. Not a sure tight seal but good enough to allow probe insertion and removal fairly easily.

I fabricated a stand that holds the transmitter(s) and placed velcro on the bracket and on the back of the transmitter.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/5...elocations.jpg

Dr_KY 11-22-2010 04:28 PM

Just because I posted it in another thread here it is again. It now has a Guinness beer tap installed on the stainless exhaust....

http://i38.tinypic.com/6tifwk.jpg

jeffsee 11-22-2010 04:55 PM

DId a second seasoning burn while I wait for my Charbroil hinged lid. Used Royal Oak Steak House Lump this time, and has no to the tiniest whiff of ammonia this time. MUCH better than last night's burn-in. Whew. Once I get that dome, I can get a handle on temps. Since my lid had no bung hole, I am propping the lid open a crack, leaving to many leaks of exhaust.

I plan to paint the charbroil lid a Wisconsin Badgers red. Any ideas for paint?

snorulz 11-23-2010 09:17 AM

High temp engine paint is what most people use. You can get it at auto part stores

Dr_KY 11-23-2010 09:37 AM

My next drum and cooker will be done in Hammerite.

http://www.hammerite.co.uk/

I'm thinking gold
http://www.icipaints.co.uk/colours/r...ed_colours.jsp

http://washford.scene7.com/is/image/Washford/326991

It's a close to the yellow I want as they can get.

brunski 11-23-2010 09:43 AM

I just found this in CL - i have nothing to do with this guy, but may help someone looking to start with an UDS project - myself, i rather buy new, but that's me. Anyway, here is the link, this is in austin: http://austin.craigslist.org/mat/2075739107.html

jcinadr 11-23-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unfathomable Bastid (Post 1463992)
Well folks, at 1pm I went to turn the brisket and decided to start taking meat-temps. I inserted the probe, and was shiocked to see an internal temp of 165! What??? I was planning on taking the meat off at 175 around 5pm-- but how could this be? At 1pm I was almost done cooking an 11 pound brisket!-Bastid

Could of been worse. I tried smoking a turkey breast this weekend. I think it was about 3lbs - and had read...

Anyway, was expecting about 3 hours at 250. Set it up (including a meat probe) and left the house for 2 hrs. Came back to turkey jerky (poor bird was 205 internal - target was 160).

That said, everything was cooking fast this weekend. (temps were not off (I have redundant temp gauges), just reciepies were different. At least the Burgers were somewhat of a success (overcooked them too - but the recipe was great, and I don't mind if I can duplicate a quick cook on them).

Looks like turkey stew is now on the menu. Ah, but next time...

Mark 11-23-2010 02:21 PM

SmokerKing:

I'm glad to see you're perfecting UDS diffuser technology. I just had another idea to achieve more even temperatures. It is turbulence.

Your diffuser probably causes some turbulence but I was thinking about inducing turbulence mechanically with a small blower about half way down. Something like this maybe.

Southern Home Boy 11-23-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 1464379)
Just because I posted it in another thread here it is again. It now has a Guinness beer tap installed on the stainless exhaust....

http://i38.tinypic.com/6tifwk.jpg

DUDE!!! Where did you get that Guiness-Harp graphic?? I WANT ONE!!

jeffsee 11-23-2010 08:17 PM

SmokerKing,

If this works, you may actually end up with a business venture. I, foe one, do not have access to the tools necessary to create this disc. Put me down for one and tell me the cost.

stglide 11-23-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokerKing (Post 1464195)
I like the Mavericks, they have held up good for me and the transmission distance hasn't been an issue. Easy to use and they have a dual probe transmitter/receiver.

I drill two holes in my UDS's, a lower one for the center probe entry and the upper for the meat. I then in install some electrical clamp connectors. Not a sure tight seal but good enough to allow probe insertion and removal fairly easily.

I fabricated a stand that holds the transmitter(s) and placed velcro on the bracket and on the back of the transmitter.

Smoker... How close is the BBQ Therm to your cooking grate? I guess you're relying more on the digital??? I installed my therm just below the grate level. I have noticed that when you put the meat on, the coolness will affect it, so I don't worry about it that much for the first few minutes when it returns to temps close to before putting meat on. Theory being it is as close to the meat as possible, though the probe doesn't reach the middle, and we've had the whole diffuser discussion! ;)

SmokerKing 11-23-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 1465187)
SmokerKing:

I'm glad to see you're perfecting UDS diffuser technology. I just had another idea to achieve more even temperatures. It is turbulence.

Your diffuser probably causes some turbulence but I was thinking about inducing turbulence mechanically with a small blower about half way down. Something like this maybe.

Not a bad idea. I've done some experimentation with laminar and turbulent airflow with auto intakes and understand the theory and concepts as they pertain to turbo's etc. I've developed a product for Ford Powerstrokes that addressed eliminating some of the turbulent air intake issues.

I'm no braniac but when it comes to heat and thermal issues, I'm a noob. I think the turbulence could be inducted above the diffuser and several inches below the meat. Create a "swirling" convection effect as the heat rises and is exhausted. :thumb:

SmokerKing 11-23-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stglide (Post 1465505)
Smoker... How close is the BBQ Therm to your cooking grate? I guess you're relying more on the digital??? I installed my therm just below the grate level. I have noticed that when you put the meat on, the coolness will affect it, so I don't worry about it that much for the first few minutes when it returns to temps close to before putting meat on. Theory being it is as close to the meat as possible, though the probe doesn't reach the middle, and we've had the whole diffuser discussion! ;)

I rely totally on my digital probes. I typically smoke using the top rack, which is the very top of a 55 gal drum since I use the cone top.

I place a second rack about 6" below the top meat rack and attach one digital probe dead center of that second rack, it does not touch the grate.

I place the second probe in the meat. I read both during the cook and view the analog just for kicks. Personally, I don't see a reason to even have the 2.5" analog probes on the side except to see if they ever balance to the digitals, and a back up should the digitals fail.

I'm thinking on raising my diffuser closer to the meat. That way, the heat has less distance to collapse again to the center of the drum before being exhausted in the center of my cone top.

I'm thinking that having multiple exhaust ports in the UDS lid and using a diffuser might provide a better balanced heat through the drum and meat.

What do I know? just experimenting. :clap2:

sjm845 11-24-2010 04:53 AM

Turkey Fryer Thermo

2 Attachment(s)
I had the same issues/concerns originally with reading temps on the outer wall of the UDS so I went to a turkey fryer around 14+ inches. It literally ends at the center of the barrel and about 1/2 inch below my bottom grate. I JB welded an electrical coupling that has the perfect clearance for the thermo and a cap when not in use. Try it out.Attachment 47751Attachment 47752