The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Muffuletta - Olive Spread (Help I'm Starving) (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39786)

BBQ Grail 03-25-2008 02:02 PM

Muffuletta - Olive Spread (Help I'm Starving)

Since watching Bobby Flay's Muffuletta Throwdown last year I have been trying to find something close here in Northern California. My quest has met with failure at every turn.

This has forced me to consider the fact that I'm just going to have to make my own. The downfall has been the olive spread on each and every sandwich I've tried.

I've searched high and low for an appropriate olive spread recipe and they are all so different. I know I can turn to you for help, my gastronomically enlightened brothers.

Does someone have a real "New Orleans" type Muffuletta olive spread recipe? PLEASE!!!!

Smokin Gator 03-25-2008 02:15 PM

This one was in last month's William's Sonoma catalog... It is on my "to try list." Looks about right though:

This piquant salad is an essential ingredient for the classic New Orleans sandwich known as muffuletta (see related recipe at left). You can find pickled pepperoncini, also called Tuscan peppers, in most supermarkets.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups queen pimiento-stuffed olives
1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
1 cup Italian gardinera (pickled cauliflower,
carrots, red pepper and celery)
1/4 cup pickled pepperoncini
1/4 cup capers, drained
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
1/2 cup olive oil
Directions:
Place the queen and Kalamata olives, the gardinera, pepperoncini and capers on a cutting board. Roughly chop the ingredients, cutting each piece 2 or 3 times. The mixture should be very coarse. Transfer to a bowl and add the garlic, parsley, oregano and olive oil. Stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Serves 4.

Williams-Sonoma Kitchen.

Here is the link to their version of the sandwich:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recip...E1B124D65F367B

BBQ Grail 03-25-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 597524)
This one was in last month's William's Sonoma catalog... It is on my "to try list." Looks about right though:

This piquant salad is an essential ingredient for the classic New Orleans sandwich known as muffuletta (see related recipe at left). You can find pickled pepperoncini, also called Tuscan peppers, in most supermarkets.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups queen pimiento-stuffed olives
1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
1 cup Italian gardinera (pickled cauliflower,
carrots, red pepper and celery)
1/4 cup pickled pepperoncini
1/4 cup capers, drained
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
1/2 cup olive oil
Directions:
Place the queen and Kalamata olives, the gardinera, pepperoncini and capers on a cutting board. Roughly chop the ingredients, cutting each piece 2 or 3 times. The mixture should be very coarse. Transfer to a bowl and add the garlic, parsley, oregano and olive oil. Stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Serves 4.

Williams-Sonoma Kitchen.

Here is the link to their version of the sandwich:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recip...E1B124D65F367B

Now that one looks good. What great timing?

Smokin Gator 03-25-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trp1fox (Post 597535)
Now that one looks good. What great timing?

Yeah... the only thing I saw wrong was the servings!!! That aint four servings in my house!!!

Bigmista 03-25-2008 02:31 PM

You know what would be really good in that? Olives stuffed with garlic cloves. Or even better the habanero garlic cloves!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...ZL._AA280_.jpg

Kenny 13 03-25-2008 02:40 PM

Sorry I can't help you out. Here in New Orleans, we take it for granted. It's so easy to get a great muffaletta that not many people really try their hand at the homemade type. I live less than 10 miles from Serio's where that throwdown was filmed, and I pass by one of the best muffaletta stops in the New Orleans area daily so it's never even occurred to me to try to make them myself.

hcarter 03-25-2008 02:56 PM

All I can say is Central Grocery.

qman 03-25-2008 03:10 PM

Smoking Gator's recipe is close enough to the one we use here that I won't post mine.

The main difference is we chop it a little finer that this recipe indicates. Adjust the peppers up or down to the taste of your audiance. I use more.

Kenny 13 03-25-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcarter (Post 597566)
All I can say is Central Grocery.

Naaah. They claim to originate the muffaletta (don't know if it's true or not) but they're not even close to the best - not that they're bad.

jdub 03-25-2008 03:31 PM

Just order it online from New Orleans. There are a few good brands, one of the local boys here can point you the right stuff. There is an online store "cajungrocery dot com"? Can't remember.
You will not get close to the good stuff elsewhere, and its so good its worth it.

The Pigman 03-25-2008 03:47 PM

Had these for the first time a couple years ago and love them. Only one place around that makes them and it is about 1/2 hour drive.

Crüe-B-Cüe 03-25-2008 04:08 PM

Here's a bulk recipe, you can cut it down...

1 gallon large pimento stuffed green olives, slightly crushed and well drained
1 quart jar pickled cauliflower, drained and sliced
2 small jars capers, drained
1 whole stalk celery, sliced diagonally
4 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced diagonally
1 small jar celery seeds
1 small jar oregano
1 large head fresh garlic, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 jar pepperoncini, drained (small salad peppers) left whole
1 pound large Greek black olives
1 jar cocktail onions, drained

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl or pot and mix well. Place in a large jar and cover with 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 Crisco oil. Store tightly covered in refrigerator. Allow to marinate for at least 24 hours before using.

MAsQue 03-25-2008 06:57 PM

I've been using the following recipe for some years, and have gotten a lot of compliments on it:

Muffaletta Salad:

3 cups pimento stuffed green olives, chopped
1 ½ cups kalamata olives, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup pepperoncini, stems removed, chopped
1 cup cauliflower, carrots and celery from giardeniera salad, chopped
¼ cup roasted peppers, chopped
½ cup cocktail onions, chopped
¼ cup capers, chopped if large
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp mustard seed
2 tbl liquid from capers
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2/3 cup olive oil
2 tsp each oregano basil and thyme
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes

Mix all together. Let sit for a week or so before using.

BBQ Grail 03-25-2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdub (Post 597597)
Just order it online from New Orleans. There are a few good brands, one of the local boys here can point you the right stuff. There is an online store "cajungrocery dot com"? Can't remember.
You will not get close to the good stuff elsewhere, and its so good its worth it.

First, I'm more interested in actually doing things myself. It's too easy to just buy stuff. Some people like to eat, some people like to cook. I like to eat what I cook.

Second, shipping just kills you!

hcarter 03-25-2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny 13 (Post 597586)
Naaah. They claim to originate the muffaletta (don't know if it's true or not) but they're not even close to the best - not that they're bad.

Nah, They're not the best, but when ya grow up with 'em....well....sentimental favorite maybe?