The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

sjm845 02-21-2012 09:07 AM

Cut off vent

Bro...you got to share the specs on that cut off vent. Best idea/mod I've seen in a while.

jcinadr 02-21-2012 09:26 AM

My favorite drum so far was from a baker's son. His mom had a bake shop and went through tons of vegetable oil. Every so once and a while he would Craigslist the drums for extra cash. No liner as vegetable oil was a natural rust prohibiter.

Craigslist is your friend.

micnic 02-21-2012 12:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ok guys here is mine. When you smoke do you find that closing all intakes and using just a ball valve is enough to control the temp? My valve is 1 1/2 dia and I find that this fully open keeps the temp at about 250F which is just a bit too hot, but closing it chokes the fire.

BGBarracus 02-21-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken Monkey (Post 1954377)
Do you have any info to share about how you did this? It's an amazing concept!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlWayne (Post 1954383)
That cut off vent is genius.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjm845 (Post 1954851)
Bro...you got to share the specs on that cut off vent. Best idea/mod I've seen in a while.

Thanks guys!

Here is a thread I started a while back in regards to the cut off vent.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=125116

Have used it twice in shorter cooks, still trying to find some time to do a long cook and track the temps below and above the vent so I can prove whether it's working how I expected it to or not. Hopefully this weekend.

paulheels 02-22-2012 06:48 AM

@wmarkw, I am in Aiken and just found some drums. Eaves Oil company on 278 and Whiskey, the place is at the intersection between New Ellenton and SRS. 8 dollars a piece. contained Hydraulic oil. The will even cut the lids of for you.

wmarkw 02-22-2012 07:09 AM

Thanks Paul. Just sent you a PM.

AggieRam 02-24-2012 02:51 PM

OK...here is a question(s) regarding placement of the smoke stack on the lid that came with the drum. My lid didn't have a bung opening. Where would be the ideal placement.....directly in the center or to one side? I know that the lids with bungs are used with no problem but would there be an advantage to placing in the center?

Thanks in advance.
Ram

brickie 02-24-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawdog's Smokewagon (Post 1934411)
Will HD accept Harbor Freight coupons?

They take them all day long,no questions asked!!!

brickie

Ehudbenjamin 02-26-2012 03:30 PM

New UDS

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all :yo:

I made it to post# 3,555 and decided this weekend it was my turn to start one. It is pretty basic: (three 3/4" intakes (2.5" from bottom), one with a ball valve, eight 1/2" exhaust (2" from edge), 17"d X 11"h coal basket 3" above 18" ash pan on the bottom, 24" from bottom of basket to one cooking rack) :photo:

I used the extra conduit hangers (one for the lid hook) for tool hangers, and I added 4 eyelets on the inside so I can move the coal basket up to grill height for grilling.

I am about 2.5 hours into the seasoning burn (liberal coating of Crisco, ton of help from my wife on that one) and it still isn't completely stable. It is very slowly moving up to 250-260 then i close it a little and it drops to 200 and I open it back up just a touch, from 200 to 260 and back to 200 it taking about 45min to an hour. However we have a nice cool intermittent breeze today, it is empty, and my lid is leaking (gonna have to seal that up, silicone maybe?). I think when I get some meat in it it will help stabilize it.

Going to get a test with some bread in a few min to check for hot spots, then 2 naked fatties for dinner with some Hawaiian Sweet rolls. :hungry:

It has been a lot of fun building and playing with it so far. :bounce:

Update: Put in about a dozen pieces of bread and it all "toasted" well, on the left side it was a little darker on the left than the right but that is the side I have the nipple open on.

Ehudbenjamin 02-26-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AggieRam (Post 1958404)
OK...here is a question(s) regarding placement of the smoke stack on the lid that came with the drum. My lid didn't have a bung opening. Where would be the ideal placement.....directly in the center or to one side? I know that the lids with bungs are used with no problem but would there be an advantage to placing in the center?

Thanks in advance.
Ram

based on my very limited testing so far, I would have to say opposite side of the main intake.

Ehudbenjamin 02-26-2012 07:49 PM

Shut the intakes and have dropped from 233 to 104 in 45 min, I'm guessing I have a pretty good seal.

About 4.5 hours into the burn I added 2 fatties, they turned out good but I need to add a little more smoke next time.

Update: Opened all the intakes and exhaust at 50 min to see if it was really out....it was!

Cutem all Jack 02-26-2012 09:01 PM

I'd like to thank every body who has posted and helped us out on how to build a UDS. It's the easiest smoker I have ever operated. It really
Almost seems like cheating to use it. I love it! Thanks again guys!

wmarkw 02-27-2012 07:27 AM

Well I started my build yesterday. Got my holes drilled, casters on the bottom and painted her up. Will install the hard ware today and brought my lid and my 2 exhaust pipes with me to work to have the guys in back weld it up for me. Hoping to get my basket done this weekend.

Will post some pics soon.

wmarkw 02-28-2012 11:13 AM

I got my exhaust stacks welded on my lid and now the lid doesnt fit as well. A little wobbly if that makes sense so not sure why that happened. Could I use some of that RTV red silicone sealant stuff around the drum lip to help seal it better? I still have the locking rig and could go that route.

smokindave74 02-28-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmarkw (Post 1962672)
I got my exhaust stacks welded on my lid and now the lid doesnt fit as well. A little wobbly if that makes sense so not sure why that happened. Could I use some of that RTV red silicone sealant stuff around the drum lip to help seal it better? I still have the locking rig and could go that route.

The lid is probably just warped a little from when you were working on it. I would take a solid block of wood and a hammer, place the lid on, and start banging on the block of wood, working around the inner rim and edge of the lid until you get it to fit again. Also look to see if the lid is concave at all. As the lit heats and cools, it might flex a little. That is why I have went exclusively to weber kettle grill lids on closed-end drums. Chisel the top out of the drum, and put the kettle lid on......no drilling, no fitting, as most are a perfect fit. They are rigid, and heavy duty.