The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

handsareme 01-25-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattCom (Post 1926276)
While on the subject of weber kettle lids... does anyone have a solution to the moisture running down the inside of the lid and onto the outside of the drum?
I saw one solution that said to run a bean of hi heat silicone about an 1" up on the inside of the lid. This will force the condensation to drip into the barrel (hopefully not onto the food :tsk:)... but anyway. I don't want to use this as a solution, bits of silicon in my food won't be tasty.
Any ideas? or should I just quit my complaining and keep wiping her down like a wet dog?
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...2/acabb49e.jpg

I know this doesn't address your issue on the outside of the barrel, but what I've found that helps keep the water collecting to a minimum in the bottom of the barrel is keeping a thin layer, maybe 1/4", of ash on the bottom. This acts like kitty litter for the water that does make its way down.

Got the basket loaded and the pork coming out of the brine soon. Gonna smoke up some bacon tonight, with beans in a dutch oven on a grate just above the basket.

Paul Worth 01-25-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattCom (Post 1926276)
While on the subject of weber kettle lids... does anyone have a solution to the moisture running down the inside of the lid and onto the outside of the drum?
I saw one solution that said to run a bean of hi heat silicone about an 1" up on the inside of the lid. This will force the condensation to drip into the barrel (hopefully not onto the food :tsk:)... but anyway. I don't want to use this as a solution, bits of silicon in my food won't be tasty.
Any ideas? or should I just quit my complaining and keep wiping her down like a wet dog?

I use a Nomex gasket on the lid and it keeps the moisture inside the barrel. http://www.bbqgaskets.com/

Your mileage may vary or you might be uneasy about having Nomex close to your food. All I can say is it works well for me on several UDSs.

BigDaddyJT 01-25-2012 06:54 PM

Curious how many use a "wiggle rod" to shake the ashes in their charcoal basket. Are they really needed?

expatpig 01-25-2012 06:55 PM

Ashes+water=lye, which means the bottom of your barrel won't last very long.

MushCreek 01-25-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDaddyJT (Post 1926457)
Curious how many use a "wiggle rod" to shake the ashes in their charcoal basket. Are they really needed?

I've never had to shake ashes from the coals. The longest burn I did was 18 hours for a big brisket, and there were still some coals left. I use Kingsford charcoal.

handsareme 01-25-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by expatpig (Post 1926459)
Ashes+water=lye, which means the bottom of your barrel won't last very long.

Had not thought of that.

kevine 01-25-2012 10:07 PM

bottle opener

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDaddyJT (Post 1924923)
Where can I buy one of these? I'd like to get one for my son, currently putting boot to A$$ in Afghanistan.

Thanks in advance,

JT

http://www.funbottleopeners.com/

And a big THANK YOU to your son! Semper Fi!!!

Delgado1911 01-25-2012 10:42 PM

I'd like to thank all the people on here, if it wasn't for y'all I probably wouldn't have an awesome UDS. I'll load up some pics as soon as I can.

smootz 01-29-2012 03:43 PM

My first post here but I read the first 327 pages of this thread.

I had determined that I would not start my UDS until I had completed the required reading but -------

In January of 2010 the questions were beginning to become VERY redundant. 99% of the posts were asking for and showing the same info about barrel linings, intakes, baskets, and exhaust. I feel like I am living the movie "Ground Hog Day".

Is there any information between page 327 and here that I need to know or does Norco's design still reign supreme in 2012?

If I need to read the rest to be a full-fledged farker then so be it.

Back to the Future - sigh - SCOTTIE

GlobalTJB 01-29-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smootz (Post 1930861)
My first post here but I read the first 327 pages of this thread.

I had determined that I would not start my UDS until I had completed the required reading but -------

In January of 2010 the questions were beginning to become VERY redundant. 99% of the posts were asking for and showing the same info about barrel linings, intakes, baskets, and exhaust. I feel like I am living the movie "Ground Hog Day".

Is there any information between page 327 and here that I need to know or does Norco's design still reign supreme in 2012?

If I need to read the rest to be a full-fledged farker then so be it.

Back to the Future - sigh - SCOTTIE

SCottie
norcos design is pretty much all you need to know to build one. Everything else is fine tuning the drum and basket to their needs or modifications they did. some people use different sized intakes, valves, grill height from bottom, etc. the key is basket is 3" off of the bottom with the air intake below. THe 24" rule for the first food grate is debatable. mine is less so i can fit two grates.

BigDaddyJT 01-29-2012 10:53 PM

OK So I finished my UDS.... Sort of (sorry no pics yet). It is complete and I even did a seasoning burn on it yesterday. Whild I was able to control my temps adequately, I had quite a lot of smoke leaking from my lid... More than I consider acceptable. Originally, my Weber lid didn't fit so I had a 2" piece of 10ga metal welded to the inside top lip of the drum, which I thought would take care of the issue, but the lid does not fit tightly on the newly fabricated lip. So I purchased some 3/8" Rutland fiberglass rope stove/furnace gasket and cement to glue to the lip to take up some of the gap, but when dry fitting I noticed a lot of small fiberglass particles were falling off the gasket and floating in the air... I thought this is NO BUENO..... So I'm back to square one.... Leaky lid. Does anyone know of any other types of high temp rope gaskets that can be used instead this fiberglass and where to purchase I need approx 7ft. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Gracias,
JT

smootz 01-30-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlobalTJB (Post 1930900)
SCottie
norcos design is pretty much all you need to know to build one. Everything else is fine tuning the drum and basket to their needs or modifications they did. some people use different sized intakes, valves, grill height from bottom, etc. the key is basket is 3" off of the bottom with the air intake below. THe 24" rule for the first food grate is debatable. mine is less so i can fit two grates.

Thanks - That's the answer I expected. The first few days I read the thread I picked up valuable info. After that it just got plumb stupid.

SCOTTIE

micnic 01-30-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlobalTJB (Post 1930900)
SCottie

I agree with GlogalTJB. Experiment. My grill is only 18" above the basket and as long as I keep the temps around 200F +- I am good. Low and slow is the key my friend - hey.

kmcrane 01-31-2012 03:37 PM

Drum held race fuel.

I am in interested in building my own uds after reading over the wealth of information in this forum (and others). I have found a source for $10 drums here in Pasadena, TX, the only problem is they held race fuel. I have read mixed feelings in regards to this being safe to use for a cooker. What are ya'lls feelings regarding these drums.

kmcrane 01-31-2012 04:09 PM

Shopping Cart Charcoal Basket

I am considering using a "repurposed" shopping cart I have as a charcoal basket for my uds. it is painted, but i'm sure a good burn will take care of the paint. Does anybody have any other concerns that I'm not thinking about?