The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dry Aged Prime Brisket (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178650)

dozer996 01-03-2014 09:23 PM

Dry Aged Prime Brisket

Quick Question:

I just picked up a 4lb Dry Aged Prime Brisket from my butcher, he dry ages everything...would you still cook this for 4 hours and wrap in butcher paper or should I temp it and wrap around 160?

Thanks

Pyle's BBQ 01-03-2014 11:11 PM

How does dry aging help brisket? I would think you need the moisture in the meat to break down the connective tissue. I have no idea what you would do with this piece of meat. I have heard of wet aging a brisket, but not dry aging.

martyleach 01-03-2014 11:49 PM

Dry aging is intended to intensify the beef flavor by dehydrating the meat. You will still need to cook the brisket till the connective tissues break down so I would suggest a different technique. Cook at 275 or so until your rub is set (doesn't push off the meat) and a nice color to the bark then wrap tightly in foil with 1/4 cup beef broth. Cook until probe tender.
Prior to cooking, I would of course cut off all the green and yucky leftovers from dry ageing, if your butcher hasn't done it already.

dozer996 01-03-2014 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyleach (Post 2752993)
Dry aging is intended to intensify the beef flavor by dehydrating the meat. You will still need to cook the brisket till the connective tissues break down so I would suggest a different technique. Cook at 275 or so until your rub is set (doesn't push off the meat) and a nice color to the bark then wrap tightly in foil with 1/4 cup beef broth. Cook until probe tender.
Prior to cooking, I would of course cut off all the green and yucky leftovers from dry ageing, if your butcher hasn't done it already.

That is what I was looking for, some advice...Thanks Marty.

Can you give me your best results with "Dino Bones", I grabbed a slab of Prime back ribs from him today too. Thanks in advance!

dozer996 01-04-2014 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ (Post 2752976)
How does dry aging help brisket? I would think you need the moisture in the meat to break down the connective tissue. I have no idea what you would do with this piece of meat. I have heard of wet aging a brisket, but not dry aging.

I don't know, I went in and that is all he had...he said Christmas and New Years wiped him out. He dry ages the whole carcass for 3/4 weeks.

Now that you both bring it up, the Dry Aged technique is great for grilling steaks but how will it end up smoking the meat, I don't know but will find out.

I'm going to try Marty's technique tomorrow.

martyleach 01-04-2014 12:04 AM

Dozer
I don't know if this was my best but here is one of my dino bones cooks along with a pastrami.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=166110

dozer996 01-04-2014 12:27 AM

Thanks Marty

plowin-fire 01-04-2014 01:47 AM

Hanging the carcass for 3-4 weeks is normal around here. I would cook as you normally would.

BigBellyBBQ 01-04-2014 03:11 AM

hanging 3 or 4 weeks is not a true dry age. However if it is, be very,very carefull as a 4 pounder is starting very smallllllll...And if it is dry age, a roast that small will crumble on you when slicing if aged..use a wet pan to keep the enviroment moist..

Partyof5 01-04-2014 04:57 AM

Dry aging is controlling temperature and humidity to create an environment that allows enzymes to break down protein to make meat more tender. Water loss is also happening so beef flavor intensifies. Lastly, some of the by products of the protein breaking down add nutty/cheesy flavors.

Never cooked a dry aged brisket myself, but I would check for doneness at lower temps than what you normally would.