The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Rodney 03-12-2010 09:22 PM

Re: Ugly Drum Smoker

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke

No standard price. As best as I can remember, we have seen anywhere from $25-40 dollars reported on here.

When I called around, sandblasting companies quoted me $70/hr, estimated that sandblasting a drum inside and out would be about a half hour, so $35 or so. I think it could go as high as $50 at that rate... A drum is 23 square feet on the inside and 23 square feet on the outside, including the lid. I think a half hour is a bit optimistic for both sides of the drum...

-r

BadHorsieBBQ 03-13-2010 02:43 PM

I am about 3/4 way through my second (the first real ) cook on my UDS and I have found something I am going to imediately change on my UDS. Details to follow later.

wheelterrapin 03-13-2010 08:30 PM

How much later LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadHorsieBBQ (Post 1214199)
I am about 3/4 way through my second (the first real ) cook on my UDS and I have found something I am going to imediately change on my UDS. Details to follow later.

Boshizzle 03-13-2010 08:53 PM

Well, the sun is supposed to be shining tomorrow so I will be completing my UDS and seasoning it. Woohoo! Pics to follow.

BadHorsieBBQ 03-13-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelterrapin (Post 1214423)
How much later LOL

I was waiting to see how my Pork but came out before I made my final decision. This change is purely personal preference. I am going to add another grate right above the charcoal box and add a water pan.

Skidder 03-13-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadHorsieBBQ (Post 1214474)
I was waiting to see how my Pork but came out before I made my final decision. This change is purely personal preference. I am going to add another grate right above the charcoal box and add a water pan.

Why?

wheelterrapin 03-13-2010 10:18 PM

Are you going to install some sort of fill spout so you can fill it when it gets low. On a long cook you could run out of water and then you would have a very pronounced burnt metal pan smell. Also I would think you will have to play with your vents a little to compensate for the additional heating and cooling effect of the water.

Just my thoughts.

Quote:

BadHorsieBBQ 03-13-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skidder (Post 1214488)
Why?

It is just a personal preference.

Smoothsmoke 03-13-2010 11:37 PM

Anyone use a heat diffuser in a UDS? If so, what do you use?

h20loo 03-14-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Somthing burning your butt??:laugh: Are you doing a hot and fast on the UDS?

BadHorsieBBQ 03-14-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h20loo (Post 1214856)
Somthing burning your butt??:laugh: Are you doing a hot and fast on the UDS?

No, I was just farking with you farkers to see if I would get dog piled. :pop2::laugh: Everything came out fine. It took a little while to get use to controlling the heat with a full grill, but I was able to keep a solid 245 to 250 during the whole cook. Got better than a twelve hour burn out of a full basket It burned longer but I did not stay up to see when it finally died out. Overall very pleased with it. The food was great.

Rich Parker 03-14-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke (Post 1214581)
Anyone use a heat diffuser in a UDS? If so, what do you use?

I use a terracotta pot base wrapped in aluminum foil but more for catching grease then diffusing heat.

BadHorsieBBQ 03-14-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Parker (Post 1214887)
I use a terracotta pot base wrapped in aluminum foil but more for catching grease then diffusing heat.

How big is the terracotta pot base and how is it mounted.

Smoothsmoke 03-14-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Parker (Post 1214887)

Has it ever burned? Is terracotta very heat resistant? Thanks for your help.

One of the reasons I'd like a diffuser is because I've heard that their are frequent big flare ups with a UDS when you try to get your food out. I'm thinking a diffuser can help give me more time getting the food in and out, or when checking for temps.

Thanks!

BadHorsieBBQ 03-14-2010 12:51 PM

I cooked on my UDS yesterday in the wind. I just shut down my air intakes before opening. I did what I needed to do as quickly as possible put the lid back on and opened the intakes back up to get it to proper temps.