The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

TXLX 05-19-2015 04:33 PM

^ I'd worry less about it. I run my cooking grate about 8-9 inches from the top, and the top of my firebasket is pretty high. Just leave yourself enough room on the bottom for the firebasket to ash and air to get under it, and go as high as you want.

I run a drip pan for pork butts and briskets under the cooking grate, but I wouldn't be worried about the heat without it.

SmittyJonz 05-19-2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B4tn (Post 3245535)
Thanks! Maybe I am really over thinking this but I am driving myself crazy here. Everywhere I read states the golden rule of having the charcoal basket bottom 24" from the first rack. Now I am assuming that all 55 gallon drums are basicly the same and I have a new drum marked dot "7a type a". So I have approximately 33" of inside height with the flat lid on. If I do my intakes at 2" with the bottom of the grate resting at 3" from the bottom and measure up 24" that's only 6" to spare for cooking area. I dont plan on using a diffuser and I am concerned 6" is not enough space. I have literally spent the last 3 hours reading on the subject and cant seem to find a definitive answer. Some say 18" and up, some say just use a diffuser, some say 24" is gospel, and some say +/- couple inches wont matter. Am I over thinking this?

You're overthinking it. Forget the 24" BS and build a basket 10-12" Deep that sits 3-4" off bottom. Measure down from the top for your grates to whatever looks right to you- if running a dome lid put first grate 2-4" down and second 8-10" under that - if flat lid go 6-8" down they another 6-8" under that.

You can see the nuts on side of mine to see my spacing. I have 3 grates - the bottom one I run a cake pan water pan then 2 cooking grates.i can't remember my measurement but the greatest distance is between top and middle grate. Everybody's is a little different, but this has worked for me for 100+ cooks.

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/...psvsjggmqg.jpg

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/...psw9mziedj.jpg

Razor800 05-19-2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor800 (Post 3243899)
When I started this quest, I called a local container store. They had a reconditioned, unlined drum for $65 or a higher gauge one for $95. I thought $65 was too much. Yeah, I was stupid. In propane and sweat equity I have that in it and it still isn't ready. I have a lead on a sandblaster and if the price is decent I am going that route. Live and learn.

If you are new to the whole UDS thing, word of advice: listen to those that know. My barrel is being sandblasted. $40, so well worth it given the pains I have gone through with the red liner of death. Picking up tomorrow and painting will begin. May be ready for Memorial Day.

ebijack 05-25-2015 09:03 AM

Had some time while smoking Pron Hvy
 
I figured I should get this documented in the Monster UDS thread as another mod some might be interested in.
Had a friend (thru my wife) self invite herself over for me to smoke some ribs for her and her hubby who is working this holiday weekend. So I got one of my UDS's up and running and start making my PBC style hanging rack. She shows up with 2 racks of ribs St Louis and baby backs. Oh yeah, could you also smoke some whole chicken and chicken breasts? Sure, fired up the mini and got the birds on. Birds are done. Oh yeah, I also brought some brats, O.K. got the mini back going. Oh yeah, I also brought some shrimp, can you smoke those too? Yeah. Oh yeah when that's done can you smoke some salmon fillets too? So the mini and one drum had a good workout. This was my last cook on my mini as it is going to another good home that needs a grill/smoker. I will build another mini ..says my wife!
Anyways I wanted a way to try this hanging meat deal so many are excited about. I have seen some other photos of Brethren's set ups in their UDS's for this, but I had other ideas I wanted to try. I welded on some 1/4 nut over some 1/4 holes I drilled at 3 locations to hold the hanger grate at 1 inch down. I also added 3 at 4 inches down for when using only one cooking grate, just because. Hopefully I can screw the bolts in/out as required after they get gunked up. I used some 1/8 X 3/8 X 6ft CRS from HD and 1 piece of bent sheet metal angle. I still have to make some hooks for hanging. But at least I got this done in between all the other smoking.
Thanks for looking.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...540/3moVlV.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...901/OdNwGl.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...538/NB7TSk.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...537/KvVGBb.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...673/3qWpTS.jpg

searnold56 05-27-2015 08:14 AM

I don't know if anybody posted this yet, but it looks to be a pretty fool-proof, no-weld method. I'm learning lots of best practices from this thread, but will use the following as my basic plans.

http://www.fix.com/blog/building-an-ugly-drum-smoker/

B4tn 05-27-2015 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebijack (Post 3251082)
I figured I should get this documented in the Monster UDS thread as another mod some might be interested in.
Had a friend (thru my wife) self invite herself over for me to smoke some ribs for her and her hubby who is working this holiday weekend. So I got one of my UDS's up and running and start making my PBC style hanging rack. She shows up with 2 racks of ribs St Louis and baby backs. Oh yeah, could you also smoke some whole chicken and chicken breasts? Sure, fired up the mini and got the birds on. Birds are done. Oh yeah, I also brought some brats, O.K. got the mini back going. Oh yeah, I also brought some shrimp, can you smoke those too? Yeah. Oh yeah when that's done can you smoke some salmon fillets too? So the mini and one drum had a good workout. This was my last cook on my mini as it is going to another good home that needs a grill/smoker. I will build another mini ..says my wife!
Anyways I wanted a way to try this hanging meat deal so many are excited about. I have seen some other photos of Brethren's set ups in their UDS's for this, but I had other ideas I wanted to try. I welded on some 1/4 nut over some 1/4 holes I drilled at 3 locations to hold the hanger grate at 1 inch down. I also added 3 at 4 inches down for when using only one cooking grate, just because. Hopefully I can screw the bolts in/out as required after they get gunked up. I used some 1/8 X 3/8 X 6ft CRS from HD and 1 piece of bent sheet metal angle. I still have to make some hooks for hanging. But at least I got this done in between all the other smoking.
Thanks for looking.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...540/3moVlV.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...901/OdNwGl.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...538/NB7TSk.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...537/KvVGBb.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...673/3qWpTS.jpg

I like that a lot! I might make that as an accessory when I get my drum finished.

SmittyJonz 05-27-2015 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by searnold56 (Post 3253605)
I don't know if anybody posted this yet, but it looks to be a pretty fool-proof, no-weld method. I'm learning lots of best practices from this thread, but will use the following as my basic plans.

http://www.fix.com/blog/building-an-ugly-drum-smoker/

Yup that's how most are built. If I ever build another I'm going with a slide vent intake(s) and shelf brackets for adjustable grate levels.

Beentown 05-27-2015 03:39 PM

Ha, over 4 million views!

Buckscent 05-28-2015 09:08 AM

This thread is fantastic..... Is it better to have a round 7" tall OR a 16"x16" square box 5" tall for Charcoal?

SmittyJonz 05-28-2015 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckscent (Post 3254825)
This thread is fantastic..... Is it better to have a round 7" tall OR a 16"x16" square box 5" tall for Charcoal?

I don't think it matters much -just as long as it's 3-4" off floor for ash to fall and air to circulate

B4tn 05-28-2015 12:50 PM

Did anyone else have a hard time finding Stainless steel nuts, bolts, and washers for the charcoal basket? I have been to Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace and all they have zinc plated.

Low Down 05-28-2015 01:03 PM

You can soak the hardware in vinegar to remove the zinc plating.

Shagdog 05-28-2015 01:03 PM

I am amazed you're having issues. Ace especially should have a whole Stainless section, but I've found them at lowes and HD too. You usually have to find them in the drawers, bolt by bolt and nut by nut... Did you ask anyone?

ebijack 05-28-2015 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B4tn (Post 3255032)
Did anyone else have a hard time finding Stainless steel nuts, bolts, and washers for the charcoal basket? I have been to Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace and all they have zinc plated.

The HD I go to has S.S. nuts/bolts/washers. A limited supply but they have them. They are in orange bags hanging up.

SmittyJonz 05-28-2015 01:06 PM

My HD has good supply of stainless.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.