The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   PBC Turkey (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266823)

Av8er 11-18-2018 11:48 AM

PBC Turkey

Has any of you smoked a turkey on the PBC? I am going to give it a try for thanksgiving and was curious as to how your turned out. I reckon I will use a couple apple chunks since I hear it’s easy to over smoke. I will be hanging it and there isn’t a good way to use a pan for drippingsso I reckon the drippings will add to the flavor when they hit the coals. Also, what rub should I use? What’s your thoughts?

grosen84 11-18-2018 11:54 AM

I followed the amazing ribs recipe last week. Came out gbd for sure. I have a homemade drum, so I had a second rack for the gravy pan. If you're going to drip right on the coals, I'd probably go no wood if you're experimenting with Thanksgiving dinner...don't want to over do the smoke...used the Simon and Garfunkel rub mix on the same site.

pharp 11-18-2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av8er (Post 4097676)
Has any of you smoked a turkey on the PBC? I am going to give it a try for thanksgiving and was curious as to how your turned out. I reckon I will use a couple apple chunks since I hear it’s easy to over smoke. I will be hanging it and there isn’t a good way to use a pan for drippingsso I reckon the drippings will add to the flavor when they hit the coals. Also, what rub should I use? What’s your thoughts?

I do them on my PBC every year. They turn out awesome. I use the PBC turkey hanger. You can also use the hooks if you don't have one of them. I really like Kosmos Dirty Bird Hot. Usually takes about 3 hours...I aim for a smaller size bird just because I don't need any more than that.

Tannhauser42 11-18-2018 01:14 PM

I'm doing my turkey in the PBC this year. I did a test run a couple weeks ago with a small turkey, and it turned out well. I have learned my lesson, though. Whatever time the recipes say it takes to cook the turkey, I'm putting it in at least an hour before that. Already have the turkey, and will be doing the dry brine on it tomorrow night so it'll be nice and ready for Thursday.

Av8er 11-18-2018 01:40 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have the hanger and a 13lb turkey so I am gonna give it a go.

highergr0und 11-18-2018 04:37 PM

I've done a few in the PBC. Always come out great!

Bob C Cue 11-18-2018 05:24 PM

PBC turkey I'd great. Be sure to use an instant read thermometer and not the pop-up gizmo if it has one. Best of luck and happy turkey day.

D&D BBQ 11-18-2018 09:57 PM

I do a turkey on the PBC every year I’ve had it. The turkey hangar works great and definitely takes away the worries of it coming off the hooks. For seasoning, I usually use Plowboys Yardbird but this year I’m going to try Q-salt. You’re right about the lack of drippings for gravy but if you can finish the turkey early and hold it in the oven or dry ice chest for an hour or so, you’ll have plenty of juice in the bottom of the pan it’s resting in for that. One other thing I like to do is inject with Creole butter which ensures juicy and flavorful meat (especially in the breast. I just use off the shelf stuff which is plentiful this time of year by the frozen turkeys). The timeline they give in the PBC website on their holiday turkey recipe is spot on for me so I’d go by that.