The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Barbarian 02-23-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexaQ (Post 569900)

I would like a kettle lid for this UDS. What kettle lid might fit? The barrel is Ø 22 1/4".

I have had trouble finding a kettle lid to fit so built this lid plus I like the look better then a kettle lid. It is the bottom of another drum. To make the lip a big enough diameter I had 3/8" steel rod welded to the outside of the lid and then welded 1/8" X 2" flat band to the rod to go over the lip of the drum. This was my experiment and it works great but is a bit heavy. I think for my next one I will try using the lid clamp. Will cut off the lever and the lever latch and weld the ring around the drum then a thinner steel band around it.

Got three more drums yesterday for my next project. The pics will come with the work.

JW 02-23-2008 11:36 AM

(Looks like I posted at the same time you did Texas Q - late again as usual)

Hey redy2smoke also notice that the top portion of Texas Qs' smoker is rolled or tapered in, could this have been a solid construction barrel that has had the bottom cut off and inverted? I did notice the intake air holes located at the bottom like the standard BDS design.

Sorry I have been away from the forum for awhile and I may have missed any construction pics that you may have posted Texas Q, it is a good looking smoker and I bet what gets cooked on it really taste good too.

As for the extension on your offset I also positioned the exhaust on my offset/reverse flow smoker lower in order to maintain heat. You can tell from the photo that the stacks are not positioned on top of the cooking chamber but enter about mid point from the back side. There is adequate exhaust flow and I have not experienced any of the stale smoke taste with this smoker.
http://usera.imagecave.com/TNroadrid...ic003-copy.jpg

But for all out fun at home I use my UDS.

TexaQ 02-23-2008 12:05 PM

Hey JW - my barrel was an open head type, but one end has the flat roll crimp to keep the bottom on and the opposite end has a rolled lip. The open tapered end was Ø 22 1/4" and bottom or opposite end is Ø 23 1/2". BTW that is a nice looking pit.

Barbarian - someone is much better at welding than me. Looks good. Tell us about the temperature differences with the lid. What kind of spacing do the cooking grates have?

chinesebob 02-23-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratdawg (Post 569370)
I only close mine when not in use to keep rain out.

What type of pipe did you use for your air intake? Smaller exhaust pipe? There's a junk yard around the corner from me and I can get them for next to nothing but was curios in case you used something different.

HAVE WELDER WILL TRY ANYTHING NOW!

chinesebob 02-23-2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 569916)
I have had trouble finding a kettle lid to fit so built this lid plus I like the look better then a kettle lid. It is the bottom of another drum. To make the lip a big enough diameter I had 3/8" steel rod welded to the outside of the lid and then welded 1/8" X 2" flat band to the rod to go over the lip of the drum. This was my experiment and it works great but is a bit heavy. I think for my next one I will try using the lid clamp. Will cut off the lever and the lever latch and weld the ring around the drum then a thinner steel band around it.

Got three more drums yesterday for my next project. The pics will come with the work.

How do you bend them into the shape?

chinesebob 02-23-2008 04:47 PM

Ok, one more post. For cutting through the barrel I was planning on using my angle grinder but would a torch be easier or faster? If so would an oxy-acet work? They've got kits for nothing on ebay.

TexaQ 02-23-2008 05:45 PM

I can't been to tell you how well these drums work. It took maybe five minutes to set everything up and start the charcoal with a weed burner. My drum was at cooking temperature with approximately 15 minutes of stabilization time prior to cooking. Actually I was prepping meat during this time. I made 3 or 4 adjustments in an 8 1/2 hour cook; which I thought was great cuz the wind was blowing. Still blowing 16 to 23 MPH. The temperature never exceeded 250° F even after removing the lid to flip meat or check meat temperatures. Two 7# pork butts took about 8 1/2 hours to reach 200°F; fatties in two hours and a pork loin roast in 2 1/2 hours.

chinesebob 02-23-2008 08:29 PM

Ok my UDS lovin brethren. I have a crazy idea. I can only describe it as a transformer UDS.

I saw the lid on Barbarian's and the tailpipe use and started to think about wouldn't it be cool if I could rig it so that my small uds/udg was able to hook up to the large without destroying them both?

I'm thinking about putting a hole in the bottom of my small with a latch that I can use to open and put onto the regular one's air inlet pipe. Then use a ring to hold them in place. I could then put the larger charcoal basket in to fuel the fire and smoke.

I could build a stand to hold them up (new welder mod) and then quadruple my cooking capacity in the 55g one. Does this sound clear to anyone or am I going to have to draw a picture?

TexaQ 02-23-2008 09:18 PM

Is that an off set, vertical UDS?

ratdawg 02-24-2008 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinwig (Post 569737)
ratdawg thats awesome looking drum.my favorite so far.whats up with the angle iron on top?is it to keep the top from warping or just for extra weight? I just found me a drum and soon will be part of the club. wig

smokinwig, The lid did warp a little when I welded the exhaust stack on. So I made the angle iron frame for it. Next time I will weld a flange to the stack and bolt it to the lid.
Also anyone living near Chico, CA. you can get food grade drums at Smucker's for $5.00 per drum.

ratdawg 02-24-2008 12:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesebob (Post 570206)
What type of pipe did you use for your air intake? Smaller exhaust pipe? There's a junk yard around the corner from me and I can get them for next to nothing but was curios in case you used something different.

HAVE WELDER WILL TRY ANYTHING NOW!

chinesbob, the 3'' pipe I found at my old job and the 2" were old chrome Stantions that held the red rope for walkways.

Dr_KY 02-24-2008 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesebob (Post 570439)

<snip>
Does this sound clear to anyone or am I going to have to draw a picture?

Go on Bob draw us a picture.

chinesebob 02-24-2008 08:22 AM

Transformer BBQ

1 Attachment(s)
Ok here it is. I was thinking I could make a coupler that would seal around the air intake when it was inserted into the small one. Otherwise they could both just be used as normal uds.Attachment 13504

I just don't know if enough heat would be generated...

Dr_KY 02-24-2008 08:56 AM

Do you plan on ever using the small on it's own for smoking again?

chinesebob 02-24-2008 09:31 AM

yep.