The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Guamaque 04-08-2011 08:46 PM

Use the bottom of a weber kettle as the lid. Then put two hinges on the rear. Buy some really cheap stove rope and glue it to the upper inside edge of the barrel circumferentially. When you close the nice heavy lid, you will not get one bit of escaping smoke. I did it and it works great.

MrOneEyedBoh 04-09-2011 12:51 AM

Only thing with the stove rope is the fiberglass, and also the glue that is used.

You can get a BGE replacement felt gasket for like 10 bucks from eBay.

swamprb 04-09-2011 12:55 AM

Keep it simple!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/IMG_3565.jpg

Big Drum Smoker Clones RAWK!!

expatpig 04-09-2011 11:02 AM

AMEN! swamprb.

expatpig 04-09-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ground Pounder (Post 1604388)
Good enough for me... wienie roast at my house tomorrow night!

All of my drums have been used for grease, the grease is inside a heavy poly bag liner. It burns out fine. good luck.

righteousdog 04-09-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by expatpig (Post 1605139)
All of my drums have been used for grease, the grease is inside a heavy poly bag liner. It burns out fine. good luck.

ditto. those are the kind i like

kcarz 04-10-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubblehead (Post 1604653)
Rattle can with hammered finish.

Love the look. Went to find it and the only kind I found was Rustoleum with a heat rating of only 200 degrees. Have you tried a burn cook yet and do you think it will hold up to 200-300 degrees?

Jay871 04-10-2011 01:49 AM

Working on building my second UDS and I have a chance to get a drum for $10. The drum had "soy ink" in it. I guess I've never heard of soy ink before. Anyone have any input, will the drum be ok to use after a burnout and a sandblast job.

Skidder 04-10-2011 06:53 AM

Jay sounds like you have a good drum. So ink is used for printing and mage from soybeans. Evo friendly

billygbob 04-10-2011 04:36 PM

UDS Exhaust Question - Side Exhaust?

I searched this thread and didn't find this mentioned...

On horizontal offsets the exhaust is "normally" at grate height; my understanding is that "holds" heat and smoke in the top of the chamber (at least that's the logic often given for SNP mods). Has anyone else considered having the UDS exhaust at grate height instead of in the lid? Thanks <BillyG>

Dr_KY 04-10-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billygbob (Post 1606125)
I searched this thread and didn't find this mentioned...

On horizontal offsets the exhaust is "normally" at grate height; my understanding is that "holds" heat and smoke in the top of the chamber (at least that's the logic often given for SNP mods). Has anyone else considered having the UDS exhaust at grate height instead of in the lid? Thanks <BillyG>

Yes and several have found that in doing so there is a lot of stale smoke. Believe me there is plentu of smoke to be had inside the UDS without making it hang around longer. It's a very efficient machine so no need to work towards holding heat.

billygbob 04-10-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 1606137)
Yes and several have found that in doing so there is a lot of stale smoke. Believe me there is plentu of smoke to be had inside the UDS without making it hang around longer. It's a very efficient machine so no need to work towards holding heat.

Thanks for that. I figured someone had some experience with the idea and I hated to mess up a drum re-learning the lesson.

expatpig 04-10-2011 07:18 PM

It's not easy improving perfection.

Jay871 04-10-2011 07:46 PM

Thanks Skidder, I'm going to get one and get started.

GorillaCop 04-10-2011 08:22 PM

I scored 3 barrels (unlined) labeled "Epoxidized Soybean Oil" for free. Downside: None that I can think of... Upside: I have this thread to help with design and construction! This stuff smells like cooking oil. MSDS says its basically harmless.
Does it need to be burnt out? Will a good powerwash do the trick?