The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

2Bulldogs 06-23-2010 01:28 PM

Like it has been said, All the info is here. I just built one using info I found here. The only things that are not discussed in the first parts and last hundred pages or so and are important are, dont use anything galvanized in your build, and dont get a barrel with a red or orange liner, unless you really enjoy hard work and hearing loss.

Southern Home Boy 06-23-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Bulldogs (Post 1317984)
Like it has been said, All the info is here. I just built one using info I found here. The only things that are not discussed in the first parts and last hundred pages or so and are important are, dont use anything galvanized in your build, and dont get a barrel with a red or orange liner, unless you really enjoy hard work and hearing loss.

What was that? Didn't hear you....:wink:

2Bulldogs 06-23-2010 03:28 PM

ehhhhhhhhhh....my ears say "unlined next time please."

cdoink 06-23-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Bulldogs (Post 1317984)

I can't even begin to stress how true this is!! I'm nearing completion on my UDS build but I basically spent the better part of 2 days cleaning out the remaining liner with a drill/wire brush cup attachment after 2 burnouts didn't do the trick.

KCcooking 06-24-2010 08:16 AM

Not sure how far along you are in your UDS project. If you can hang on, I have made a very comprehensive ebook. Includes step by step pictures, what NOT to do, material list and how to for cedar side table and cedar 'accessory ring' that wraps around the drum. Launch date is scheduled for July 13, 2010, hopefully sooner.

KCcooking 06-24-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runamuck (Post 1305661)
I realize this is an old post, but am new here and would love a copy of the plans to a good UDS. Does a half inch pipe fit 3/4 hole? I have 3/4 bit and 1/2 pipe nipples on hand. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Not sure how far along you are in your UDS project. If you can hang on, I have made a very comprehensive ebook. Includes step by step pictures, what NOT to do, material list and how to for cedar side table and cedar 'accessory ring' that wraps around the drum. Launch date is scheduled for July 13, 2010, hopefully sooner.

Darko 06-24-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerritt (Post 1317398)
anyone know where UDS parts/supplies can be found in Canada?? in particular the GTA area?

If you're in Hamilton, go to Green Mountain Landscaping on 20 Hwy, just south of Mud St. You can pick up an unlined steel drum with lid for 15 bucks. Get one of the blue barrels that had Simethicone. They have a removable plastic liner bag. Tell them you want to make a smoker out of it, and they'll throw in a steel lid.

Rest of the stuff just go to the hardware store( Lowes, HD, Crappy tire, Home hardware...)

expatpig 06-24-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darko (Post 1318923)
If you're in Hamilton, go to Green Mountain Landscaping on 20 Hwy, just south of Mud St. You can pick up an unlined steel drum with lid for 15 bucks. Get one of the blue barrels that had Simethicone. They have a removable plastic liner bag. Tell them you want to make a smoker out of it, and they'll throw in a steel lid.

Rest of the stuff just go to the hardware store( Lowes, HD, Crappy tire, Home hardware...)

FYI, spend a little more and get stainless steel fasteners(nuts,bolts,washers). I get my drums free, with Weber SS hinged grates(2), Tel-Tru thermometer, bottle opener, self fabricated charcoal basket, High temp paint, I spent $200.

shdybrady 06-24-2010 08:07 PM

I drilled my holes in my uds. And I wanted to use 3/4" for my main ball valve and 1.25" for my spare holes. Mainly for aiding in drainage. I knew that people hardly ever use them so I figured I could go bigger. I didnt like how metal flexed around the ball valve so I decided to use some butterfly valves as the intake. Do ya'll think the holes are too big? Do you think the butterfly valve will work?

AJP 06-24-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shdybrady (Post 1319431)
I drilled my holes in my uds. And I wanted to use 3/4" for my main ball valve and 1.25" for my spare holes. Mainly for aiding in drainage. I knew that people hardly ever use them so I figured I could go bigger. I didnt like how metal flexed around the ball valve so I decided to use some butterfly valves as the intake. Do ya'll think the holes are too big? Do you think the butterfly valve will work?

Don't see why they wouldn't. People use fridge magnets with no issues.

shdybrady 06-24-2010 08:13 PM

and thats what im using for this weekend. Just for the first cook to practice on. But does anyone know the round nature of the drum will mess with the function of the vent?

6gfla 06-25-2010 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by expatpig (Post 1319067)
FYI, spend a little more and get stainless steel fasteners(nuts,bolts,washers). I get my drums free, with Weber SS hinged grates(2), Tel-Tru thermometer, bottle opener, self fabricated charcoal basket, High temp paint, I spent $200.

Bill, I really like your charcoal basket design. I will be swiping this idea from you on my next uds. :)

However, I am afraid that your springs might become brittle and break after a lot of heat cycles. Are you worried about this at all? Maybe a wingnut or strong magnetic catch at the bottom might work better.

smokin' steeze 06-25-2010 11:24 AM

I'm working on begining my first UDS & was wondering about adding a door to the smoker. At the moment I am commited to putting one on the UDS but I was just wondering how ya'll felt about that effecting my ability to control my fire ie letting in too much unwanted air? My craftsmanship isn't exactly top notch but attention to detail on the project seems to be a little higher then normal, probably because I can taste the results.

Thanks
JS

fat_bastard 06-25-2010 11:29 AM

A UDS does not need a door. You generally won't be needing to do much fire tending and it'll just be another place for leaks.

smoke it if ya got it 06-25-2010 11:34 AM

I have a UDS with a door and the only time I have trouble is if I have the lid off for more than 3-5 minutes then the temp gets to high and it's hard to settle her back down butt on the other side if temps are going down or having a hard time getting them up opening the door takes them up in an instant. I like my door for long cooks because I can throw in more lump or wood depending on whats needed.