The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brethren Road Trips (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Top 50 BBQ Joints in Texas (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294928)

frognot 10-18-2021 10:00 AM

Top 50 BBQ Joints in Texas

Texas Monthly ranks it's Top 50 BBQ Joints every four years and here's this year's:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/interac...WVGpQ9DV-nWsag

sandro 10-18-2021 10:31 AM

Good to see Leroy & Lewis up there

Dustin Dorsey 10-18-2021 10:37 AM

There's places I love that can't even make the list these days. The competition is insane.

Mikhail 10-18-2021 11:09 AM

I think what happens is that for a few places it just overwhelms them, at the expense of many other fine BBQ joints.

Rockinar 10-18-2021 11:48 AM

I still dont think Franklin should be in the top 10 these days.

a7las 10-18-2021 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockinar (Post 4522359)

Who would you put in his place and why?

Raider18 10-18-2021 02:24 PM

Pretty solid list overall. A couple of surprises in the Top 10 and a few surprises not on the Top 50.

For those into BBQ Restaurant Reviews I ask you consider subscribing to my YouTube Channel. I have created Playlist of my personal reviews I've done so far of the TM Top 10 and TM Top 50.

http://www.bowersbarbecue.com

theanthonyv 10-18-2021 02:59 PM

It’s not a bad thing to have new entrants with more modern takes on smoking meat. But what the list fails to capture, IMO, is that, as much as the food itself, BBQ is about the familial atmosphere and the history / tradition of the TX towns and the people themselves. Sure, that will evolve over time, but BBQ greatness isn’t solely about how succulent the beef cheek is or how moist the brisket is. It’s equally about the heritage and communal nature of these places. When considering all variables that comprise a great TX BBQ experience, I simply can’t put a joint like Interstellar on the same plane as a place like Louie Mueller.

ssv3 10-18-2021 03:29 PM

Nice!

Chose to go to Black's in Lockhart instead of Truth while out there and wasn't impressed. Tried to go on my last day which was a Monday and they were closed. :sad: Def on my list next round.

Raider18 10-18-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theanthonyv (Post 4522394)
It’s not a bad thing to have new entrants with more modern takes on smoking meat. But what the list fails to capture, IMO, is that, as much as the food itself, BBQ is about the familial atmosphere and the history / tradition of the TX towns and the people themselves. Sure, that will evolve over time, but BBQ greatness isn’t solely about how succulent the beef cheek is or how moist the brisket is. It’s equally about the heritage and communal nature of these places. When considering all variables that comprise a great TX BBQ experience, I simply can’t put a joint like Interstellar on the same plane as a place like Louie Mueller.

Dude I agree with you 100% that's why I kinda put them in different categories. Snows bbq's food is good, but not top 10 good but the environment and people (at least pre Netflix) was one of my all time favorites. On the other end of the spectrum Cattleack has amazing bbq, but the atmosphere of being in an industrial complex doesn't do it for me.

ssv3 10-18-2021 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider18 (Post 4522414)
Dude I agree with you 100% that's why I kinda put them in different categories. Snows bbq's food is good, but not top 10 good but the environment and people (at least pre Netflix) was one of my all time favorites. On the other end of the spectrum Cattleack has amazing bbq, but the atmosphere of being in an industrial complex doesn't do it for me.

Yep heard that about Snow's. As far as Truth, it was like a coin toss. Brethren Andy (LYU70) and his bro picked me up from the hotel and when I jumped in his truch he was like left or right? So we ended up at Black's and both of us thought is was meh though his bro Bubba like it.

Nice channel btw! I like that you bbq crawl more frequently. :thumb:

Oh and Franklin was farkin' amazing btw!

NavarreQ 10-18-2021 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theanthonyv (Post 4522394)

I’m gonna agree and disagree with this thought. I’ve ate average bbq at historically well known bbq locations and I’ve ate great bbq at modern new locations and vise versa. End of the day I’m gonna choose the best tasting food every time over history! Now will I drink more beers at an old school bbq environment vs the new modern environment to watch the latest college football game is a whole differnt story🤫🤣

thedude9999 10-18-2021 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockinar (Post 4522359)

Has Franklin gone downhill, or have the others gotten better than him?

SmoothBoarBBQ 10-18-2021 06:42 PM

Leroy and Lewis is 100% top notch Texas BBQ. I've tried quite a few BBQ places in Texas and so far most have been underwhelming. Leroy and Lewis absolutely knocked it out of the park with some of the best pulled pork I've ever had in my life. Their barbacoa was also insanely delicious. Of course the brisket was superb but they're serving Waygu so that's kind of expected. Super nice guys who let me look at their smokers and were 100% open for chatting about BBQ when they had a few minutes.

orangeblood 10-19-2021 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedude9999 (Post 4522455)
Has Franklin gone downhill, or have the others gotten better than him?

nope