The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

rockyathabaska 05-19-2010 10:36 PM

uds grill

Some things are just worth it to buy.My weber one was$ 39.00 up here and it's worth it ,they're quality made and will last 'till the kid' inherit my drum.

Rockyathabaska:clap2:

PaulG78 05-20-2010 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Howdy Buck A Roos. I was just putting together a spread sheet for my UDS materials and thought it may be of some use to others. Yes, there are many options but this reflects mine. Feel free to use and modify as you wish. I created this in open office and had to save as xls so if it does not come through, let me know.

Jay871 05-20-2010 01:48 PM

I am currently building my first UDS and am new to this sight. I read alot of the posts. I know your're not suppose to use anything glavanized for the UDS. Does this include zinc plated bolts and nuts.

UDS 05-20-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay871 (Post 1287843)
I am currently building my first UDS and am new to this sight. I read alot of the posts. I know your're not suppose to use anything glavanized for the UDS. Does this include zinc plated bolts and nuts.

zinc will make you sick yes, you can always just grind the finish off if its all you have on hand.

Jay871 05-20-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDS (Post 1287876)
zinc will make you sick yes, you can always just grind the finish off if its all you have on hand.

That's what I figured. Thanks UDS

moda253 05-20-2010 05:18 PM

Of course if you drink public water suppl you are probably injesting more baddies than a little zinc in your UDS.

I worked in a foundry in the navy and we poured Zinc sockets for cables all day long. You know what the remedy was? After the pour we were all supposed to drink a big glass of milk.

Look I'm not saying that people shouldn't limit their exposure to things but at the same time there is being overly paranoid.

When I was a kid we went camping all the time and we cooked on things that undoubtedly had galvanization and zinc on them and I'm only just a little demented and odd.

dataz722 05-20-2010 05:35 PM

My understanding was the hot dipped zinc took much hibgher temps before it started to come off. Much higher than what we would have in our cookers and SS is better but hot dipped is ok to use.

Paul B 05-20-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulG78 (Post 1287426)
Hey Howdy Buck A Roos. I was just putting together a spread sheet for my UDS materials and thought it may be of some use to others. Yes, there are many options but this reflects mine. Feel free to use and modify as you wish. I created this in open office and had to save as xls so if it does not come through, let me know.

Line 54 has an error.

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit
SS ROL

PaulG78 05-20-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1288224)
Line 54 has an error.

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit
SS ROL

How so? D54= A54*C54

jgh1204 05-21-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steev-o (Post 1287102)
I hear ya. I did 3 5hr+ burns("spitbouncing-hot", to quote a brethren!) and the liner in my drum laughed at me... so I borrowed an angle grinder and some 36 grit sanding discs from work, and 3 frustrating, dirty hours and 7 discs later it was 99% gone. Getting into the "ribs" on the drum was tedious, as was reaching into the bottom, but 2 cooks into it and I think it was totally worth the effort. Not to say I won't be getting a sealed drum for my next UDS...:heh: JM2C!

We know you at least read the first page!:-P

jgh1204 05-21-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulG78 (Post 1287426)

Paul, on my grate holders, I like to go with 4. I tried three but ran into problems when I bought a cheapo grate that was a little smaller than the normal Weber 22.5 inch grate. Nice work on the list.

smokindave74 05-21-2010 02:57 PM

UDS drum lining research

I have been researching possible options for building a UDS. I have acquired two different drums....one is food-grade and has the phenolic epoxy coating that a few of you have commented on as being hard to burn out. I encountered the same problem and gave up. The smoke off of that while I was trying to burn it out seemed to be very toxic. Plus I cannot build a roaring drum fire in my neighborhood.

I also acquired a motor oil drum which is unlined, which seemed scary at first, but after chiseling the top out (much easier than I thought) and power washing it and scrubbing it out a little with some sand paper and steel wool, and re-rinsing, I cannot detect any residue of the oil at all. Although, I do suspect that there maybe a little down in the cracks at the bottom of the drum where the seam is.

So, I thought I better look into the potential hazards, and I looked up the MSDS (material safety data sheet) on various motor oils. This stuff is not that bad for you.......I don't have a link handy, but you can search on google, etc for "motor oil MSDS" and get a few hits. Most of them say that ingestion and inhalation are not a huge problem.......especially in small amounts. Not carcinogenic.

So, I think I will do a couple small burnouts with wood and hot coals directly in the bottom of the barrel, and then wash it out again with some hot water, season it with vegetable oil, and give it a go. I think it is probably safer than a food grade drum, just because there is NO lining at all....just raw steel.

Just my $.02

Paul B 05-21-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1288224)
Line 54 has an error.

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit
SS ROL

Ya I don't know, when I first tried it it didn't multiply it times 2. I did notice that in the formula line that is wasn't written as it is now. Who knows??? Gremlins??? It is working right now.

Paul B

Old Hippie 05-23-2010 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelp (Post 1283697)
If the metal is rusting on the inside, Id say they are good to go. Just give'em a good burn so if there was any dioxin or agent orange in there you'd at least burn most of it off.:thumb:

Missed a spot:
http://www.spunangel.com/uploaded_im...son-720907.jpg

Jay871 05-24-2010 01:15 AM

Did the first burn in my UDS with no food on the grates just to see how it would react. Used about 8lbs of stubbs charcoal. Started with a chimney full of burned briqs and added it to some unburned briqs in the basket. Put my Maverick chamber thermometer below the lower cooking grate directly in the middle of the barrell and a Taylor 4'' thermometer in the side of the barrell where the upper grate is. Immediately started out at 360* on the maverick and 320* on the taylor. Had all three vent closed off and my 1'' ball valve vent choked down to about 1/2 open. The maverick finally came down to around 260* after about an hour and a half and the taylor down to 230*. Now they've both finally leveled off at around 245-250* after about 4 hrs with the ball valve wide open. Had to keep adjusting the ball valve to stay around 240-260*. Seemed like a long time to get it dialed in. wasn't sure if I should close the ball valve any further to get down to 225-230* in fear of choking out the fire.