The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

StayDown 05-06-2009 08:44 PM

I plan on taking some 6061 sheet metal and doing something similar, using a slip roller to get the radius right and mount it to the front of the UDS using stand offs.


Pics to come when it is finished

Norcoredneck 05-06-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 916799)
UDS man shade...

Pretty sweet (as in light on the feet). Show us your Rainbow Drum Big guy.:mrgreen:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1241437971

Tangled Up In Q 05-06-2009 09:11 PM

I have two drums that I have been planning to build a double barrel smoker with using the wood stove conv. kits for ( you guys I am sure have seen the plans ) Well after reading this thread for the last week or so, these UDS look easier to build, use, and much less expensive so now I am torn!! What are some opinions out there on the UDS v.s Double Barrel ?? and secondly is it best to cut both ends of the drum out on the UDS, seems I have seen it both ways (unless I am mistaken) Thanks!!!

Barbarian 05-06-2009 09:26 PM

Hey Tangled Up In Q,
A lot less work to build a UDS.
Less expensive is my guess.
Cutting both ends depends on what you plan on doing with the bottom of the drum.

My first drum I did that to make it real easy to lift the drum off of a stand that had the charcoal basket on it and clean the ashes up. But I never got a good seal, though I think it is possible. It did not hold temps very well sometimes and just was not good enough. These things really need to be pretty airtight to work well.

Another way is like Jaranimo did which was to build a short little drum out of a donor and weld a lid with the center cut out to the bottom of the UDS. Then you set the UDS on the little drum which is your charcoal basket. I like the idea just cannot do that welding and really don't want to pay for it.

So my second drum has the bottom still there and I built a charcoal basket with an ash pan that I can lift out and clean up. No trying to scrape the ashes out of the bottom of the drum, lazy old fat guy mod, I guess.

I also built a UDG (grill) for steaks, burgers and the like.

JTank70 05-06-2009 10:16 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Got my Charcoal Basket done this past weekend.

I finally got to burn my barrel tonight after work. The last couple of weeks has been very dry here with very high fire danger. Finally it rained yesterday and today but stopped late this morning. I took advantage of the break in the rain.

Just got done putting about a 4 hour hurt on the Drum. I'll post more pics when I get her brushed up a bit.

Weiser 05-06-2009 10:22 PM

The basket looks good Tank.
However, you may want to rethink the chain thing unless you are going to use a hook
or enjoy wearing a dirty shirt.

Nice burn too.

Weiser



Quote:

Originally Posted by JTank70 (Post 918884)
Got my Charcoal Basket done this past weekend.

I finally got to burn my barrel tonight after work. The last couple of weeks has been very dry here with very high fire danger. Finally it rained yesterday and today but stopped late this morning. I took advantage of the break in the rain.

Just got done putting about a 4 hour hurt on the Drum. I'll post more pics when I get her brushed up a bit.


swamprb 05-06-2009 10:45 PM

After cooking on Hog-Que-Holics mammoth 96 gallon 2742-2's at the Klose class last weekend, he brought 2 of the 3 he's built- I had to step it up a notch or two.

Here is the Hogman and the Behemoth!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...9/IMG_0348.jpg

Next to my puny 2339-2!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...9/IMG_0349.jpg

With David Klose-Legendary pitbuilder!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...9/IMG_0314.jpg

Those 26" grates are awesome! So - being the cheap bastard I am, unwilling to buy a new one from Grainger like Hoggy- I went to the source! Al's Drums and Barrels on Airport Way in Seattle. Al has been in the business for 60+ years and his father founded Seattle Cooperage in 1916!! He said he rarely gets 96 gallon drums, but does come across 110 gallon drums but they are in high demand in Alaska. He had new 85 gallon 27"x39.5" for $160 or a reconditioned for $80-guess which one I got?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/IMG_0373.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/IMG_0372.jpg

I've wanted to make a Mini with a Weber Smokey Joe and the 14" lid fits perfect on this 15 gallon drum.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/IMG_0375.jpg

Unlined - but the exterior paint has got to go. $100 cash out the door $41 for 26" Weber replacement grates ordered and we be gettin' down!
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/IMG_0376.jpg

JTank70 05-06-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiser (Post 918890)
The basket looks good Tank.
However, you may want to rethink the chain thing unless you are going to use a hook
or enjoy wearing a dirty shirt.

Nice burn too.

Weiser


Thanks Weiser.

I plan on using a hook on the basket. I had the chain kicking around. I will probably go with a t-bar type rig sooner or later though.

The barrel had mango concentrate in it. I did not notice until tonight that it had a sticker on it that read " Feb 12 2009" so I got a youngun.

It had a light tan liner not very thick in it. It looked like it burned out nice. I just put the barrel back in the garage and took a hand brush to it and it was coming off great.

I might just be smokin by sunday!!:biggrin:

Barbarian 05-06-2009 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like doing a burn out in the drizzle and fog so the FD or homeowners don't know it is even happening. No smoke to be seen!!!

mranum 05-07-2009 07:39 AM

I was just up to page 104 reading this and was wondering if anyone actually uses charcoal lighter any more. Then I saw this pic and thought....I guess not.:lol:












Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 728451)
Gives you wood you don't want to burn :eek:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ck/Flameon.jpg


Digi 05-07-2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tangled Up In Q (Post 918846)
I have two drums that I have been planning to build a double barrel smoker with using the wood stove conv. kits for ( you guys I am sure have seen the plans ) Well after reading this thread for the last week or so, these UDS look easier to build, use, and much less expensive so now I am torn!! What are some opinions out there on the UDS v.s Double Barrel ?? and secondly is it best to cut both ends of the drum out on the UDS, seems I have seen it both ways (unless I am mistaken) Thanks!!!

why would you build a double barrel when you can have 2 UDS's... :biggrin: :eusa_clap :icon_cool

JTank70 05-07-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 918915)
I like doing a burn out in the drizzle and fog so the FD or homeowners don't know it is even happening. No smoke to be seen!!!


Does this make the barrel rust right away before you can wash it / season it etc.?

I thought about burning in the light rain too but figured it would create more work for myself. ????

Phubar 05-07-2009 10:19 AM

Here is some more info about the drums that I have.
When I was cleaning the drum on the outside I discovered a sort of stamp at the bottom.
Its not a very good picture but it says:Colvinsa (manufacturer in Colombia of barrels and such), 4(with dash above and under), Q-12-08.
Probably this barrel was made in December 2008.
Couple of days ago I opened de screw cap on top and shined with a small LED light in.
It indeed contained palm oil,there is a lil bit of white stuff left on the bottom.
Hmmmm...barrel+white stuff+Colombia......:wink:
The inside of the barrel doesn't seem to have a coating it looks quite blank.
If so,will a good cleaning with a degreaser work,wirebrush it after and clean it again?
The outside has a good paintjob on it and I really wanna contain it.

Tangled Up In Q 05-07-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digi (Post 919081)
why would you build a double barrel when you can have 2 UDS's... :biggrin: :eusa_clap :icon_cool

Ya know I guess I let the novelty of building and having one get the best of me... When what I really want is the best functional cooker!! So after reading this thread, and my own doubts of just how well the double will actually work I am now ready to start cutting the drums.. Gotta lot of grate ideas from here!

Phubar 05-07-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 918856)
Hey Tangled Up In Q,
A lot less work to build a UDS.
Less expensive is my guess.
Cutting both ends depends on what you plan on doing with the bottom of the drum.

My first drum I did that to make it real easy to lift the drum off of a stand that had the charcoal basket on it and clean the ashes up. But I never got a good seal, though I think it is possible. It did not hold temps very well sometimes and just was not good enough. These things really need to be pretty airtight to work well.

Another way is like Jaranimo did which was to build a short little drum out of a donor and weld a lid with the center cut out to the bottom of the UDS. Then you set the UDS on the little drum which is your charcoal basket. I like the idea just cannot do that welding and really don't want to pay for it.

So my second drum has the bottom still there and I built a charcoal basket with an ash pan that I can lift out and clean up. No trying to scrape the ashes out of the bottom of the drum, lazy old fat guy mod, I guess.

I also built a UDG (grill) for steaks, burgers and the like.


If you have a drum with the lip roll still on it and the Weber lid,will there be smoke dripping between the lip and lid?
My plan is a lil bit similar to Jarinimo and yours ,I want to make the top of the drum fit perfectly on the lower charcoal basket part of the drum.
Just as perfect as the lid sits on the drum.
Rough sketch:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.