The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MAK Group Buy (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279141)

Gore 03-12-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lees23 (Post 4282719)
Curious what the actual deal was....

I told my wife it was like buying a laser printer. If you buy a bag of pellets, they threw in a 2-star for free. It wasn't the actual deal, but it's what I told my wife.

Jtracy 03-12-2020 08:07 PM

Hardly ever post but do alot of lurking. So out of curiosity I had to call yesterday after I saw that it was coming a close today. Been thinking of getting a pellet smoker for a bit over a year. Was talking to caleb about the 1 star. And then talked to the mrs for final mission approval. Kind of a last minute decision and a little more than I was planning to drop on a unit. Ok maybe alot more. However she said ok so then I was like, hey I wonder what kind of deal the 2 star is��. So after talking to caleb twice yesterday I mulled it over most of the day and decided to give him a call back. Had about 40 minutes to closing time and took the plunge on the 2 star. Never thought I'd spend that kinda money on a unit but it was a pretty awesome deal. Now the wait begins. She should ship out Monday and make the long journey to ME. Thanks for putting this on and the folks at Mak were great to deal with. Cant wait to get her up and rolling.��

Marquez 03-12-2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtracy (Post 4282746)
Hardly ever post but do alot of lurking. So out of curiosity I had to call yesterday after I saw that it was coming a close today. Been thinking of getting a pellet smoker for a bit over a year. Was talking to caleb about the 1 star. And then talked to the mrs for final mission approval. Kind of a last minute decision and a little more than I was planning to drop on a unit. Ok maybe alot more. However she said ok so then I was like, hey I wonder what kind of deal the 2 star is��. So after talking to caleb twice yesterday I mulled it over most of the day and decided to give him a call back. Had about 40 minutes to closing time and took the plunge on the 2 star. Never thought I'd spend that kinda money on a unit but it was a pretty awesome deal. Now the wait begins. She should ship out Monday and make the long journey to ME. Thanks for putting this on and the folks at Mak were great to deal with. Cant wait to get her up and rolling.��

Congratulations, and welcome!

You're gonna love it!

Crispy Bacon 03-12-2020 09:20 PM

I would like to personally thank MAK for this opportunity! A big thanks to Rob for helping me out with this thread. I’m mostly a lurker & don’t post much. So when I started this thread, I didn’t know what to expect. It blew up! Totally exceeded my expectations. So happy that this worked out for everyone involved! I know I am excited to start this journey into pellet cooking with one of the best cookers out there. Thanks again & I hope everyone that got involved enjoys their new grills!!

gben 03-12-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner21 (Post 4282736)
Dick's will price match. I'm in Western NY (OK/TX transplant) where 99% of the people don't know what BBQ tastes like. The only option I have outside of online is Dick's. I brought in the Atwoods Lumberjack $6.99 sale price and they matched it without question. Gonna hit a couple more up so I can stock up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input, there's a DSG no more than 15 minutes from my house!

gtsum 03-12-2020 09:23 PM

Who knew there were that many closet pellet heads?!? [emoji41]. Congrats to you all and wow...28 MAK’s sold...very impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pjtexas1 03-12-2020 10:00 PM

Congrats to everyone! That's gotta be a record. Im sure the brethren have never bought that many cookers from 1 manufacturer in that short of a time span. I just had leftover pork chops from the Mak. So good!

So what's on your wishlist that you're getting with your store credit?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pjtexas1 03-12-2020 10:00 PM

And...missed by that much! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3c2501ee35.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rwalters 03-12-2020 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crispy Bacon (Post 4282794)
I would like to personally thank MAK for this opportunity! A big thanks to Rob for helping me out with this thread. I’m mostly a lurker & don’t post much. So when I started this thread, I didn’t know what to expect. It blew up! Totally exceeded my expectations. So happy that this worked out for everyone involved! I know I am excited to start this journey into pellet cooking with one of the best cookers out there. Thanks again & I hope everyone that got involved enjoys their new grills!!

Very glad you started this thread!!! Turned out to be a brilliant idea/plan that ended up benefiting a lot of brethren :)

rwalters 03-12-2020 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gore (Post 4282743)
I told my wife it was like buying a laser printer. If you buy a bag of pellets, they threw in a 2-star for free. It wasn't the actual deal, but it's what I told my wife.

Guessing your wife tells you the shoes were free with the purchase of shoe laces. ;-)

rwalters 03-12-2020 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gben (Post 4282737)
Close is a relative term here, the closer one is about 8-10 miles closer in a completely opposite direction. I've heard good things about lumber jack pellets, I've also heard they have a lot of dust, correct me if I'm wrong. But the price they have them for would be worth the drive to stock up. I'm new to pellet grills and want to use pellets that have a history of working well in the Mak. I realize maintenance goes a long way in keeping things running smoothly but avoiding poor performing pellets is a good start.

Personally, I did not care for LJ as they did not work well for me. But I believe that I am in the minority as lots of MAK guys swear by them. I currently use Bear Mountain (same brand MAK will send you a bag of) and have really taken a liking to them. I have also used Cookin’ Pellets Perfect Mix and have had great results with them. If you do go with Cookin’ Pellets (they ain’t the cheapest) you’ll find the best pricing direct from their website on their mini bulk orders (straight to your door). I have also tried BBQ’rs Delight which have been great.

I’d suggest you find something local that gets overall great reviews, give them a try and if you like them just stick with them. If you can get LJ at Rural King or somewhere else for Rural King pricing, there’s surely no harm in trying a few bags :)

Gore 03-12-2020 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4282841)
Guessing your wife tells you the shoes were free with the purchase of shoe laces. ;-)

Yeah, she's a great shopper! Very frugal!

ssv3 03-12-2020 10:48 PM

Congrats to all the new MAK owners! This thread has been a thrill to spectate and watch unfold. Bet your butts if I didn't have my Yoder I would have joined you guys.

A "top quality" pellet cooker makes a great deal of difference and I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. You all did great. Now post up some damn cooks and stop lurking. No excuse now that you guys own a top notch cooker.

70monte 03-12-2020 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtsum (Post 4282796)
Who knew there were that many closet pellet heads?!? [emoji41]. Congrats to you all and wow...28 MAK’s sold...very impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

28 sold is very impressive, especially at the price point these sell for. Congrats to everyone who bought one.

WBDubya 03-13-2020 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gben (Post 4282737)
Close is a relative term here, the closer one is about 8-10 miles closer in a completely opposite direction. I've heard good things about lumber jack pellets, I've also heard they have a lot of dust, correct me if I'm wrong. But the price they have them for would be worth the drive to stock up. I'm new to pellet grills and want to use pellets that have a history of working well in the Mak. I realize maintenance goes a long way in keeping things running smoothly but avoiding poor performing pellets is a good start.

Lumberjack Pellets work great in my 2 Star.

Sooner21 03-13-2020 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WBDubya (Post 4282883)
Lumberjack Pellets work great in my 2 Star.

Good to know. I'm stocking up since they're on sale @ $6.99/20lb. Never priced pellets until this week though - don't know how good of a deal that is? How many pounds of pellets does a longer smoke use? Say brisket or pork shoulder.

4ever3 03-13-2020 06:23 AM

$6.99 is a great price and Lumber Jack pellets are where it’s at for me!

rwalters 03-13-2020 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner21 (Post 4282889)
Good to know. I'm stocking up since they're on sale @ $6.99/20lb. Never priced pellets until this week though - don't know how good of a deal that is? How many pounds of pellets does a longer smoke use? Say brisket or pork shoulder.

$6,99 is an amazing price! Sooo wish I could find that pricing in my neck of the woods. As to how long will a bag last? Depending on outdoor ambient temps, you should average about 1lb/hr at the lower smoking temps. The MAK’s are not pellet hogs.

Sooner21 03-13-2020 07:37 AM

Thanks for the replies. Robb - do you have a Dick's Sporting Goods nearby? That's where I got $6.99 with the price match.

rwalters 03-13-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner21 (Post 4282906)
Thanks for the replies. Robb - do you have a Dick's Sporting Goods nearby? That's where I got $6.99 with the price match.

I do, about 5 miles down the road. That said, I am an outlier when it comes to LJ pellets. I have a couple of other brands that I have come to prefer. Mainly because of the lesser ash. I know I am in the minority, as lots of guys love and swear by LJ. That said, $6.99 for 20lbs is a crazy good price for pellets.

Crispy Bacon 03-13-2020 07:50 AM

Looking like LJ for me too. Lowe’s has pit boss & Weber but they want $16 for 20#. Rural king has LJ on sale for 8.88 for 20#. I can get pit boss @ Menards for $15.99 for a 40# bag. Don’t know anything about pit boss???

rwalters 03-13-2020 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crispy Bacon (Post 4282911)
Looking like LJ for me too. Lowe’s has pit boss & Weber but they want $16 for 20#. Rural king has LJ on sale for 8.88 for 20#. I can get pit boss @ Menards for $15.99 for a 40# bag. Don’t know anything about pit boss???

Between those 2 choices, I’d definitely go w/ LJ. If I try LJ again, I will go with one of their blends vs a single wood type which is all I have tried. Seems most of the guys that rave about LJ are using a blend. At least those I have talked with. LJ really is a very reputable and well loved brand.

Crispy Bacon 03-13-2020 08:29 AM

Yeah. I’m going to give the char hickory a try. Supposed to get hot. & the competition blend. The nearest bear mountain is over an hour away. I don’t think the drive would be worth it.

Sooner21 03-13-2020 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4282913)
Between those 2 choices, I’d definitely go w/ LJ. If I try LJ again, I will go with one of their blends vs a single wood type which is all I have tried. Seems most of the guys that rave about LJ are using a blend. At least those I have talked with. LJ really is a very reputable and well loved brand.

I got the competition blend. Once my MAK gets here I'll give some thoughts on them. This will be my first pellet experience, so won't have anything to compare.

Prneum 03-13-2020 09:42 AM

I purchased Bear Mountain pellets at the advice from Caleb. He said they really watch the moisture content of the pellets and they have had good luck with them.
The shipment didn't get here in time for my inaugural cook, so I purchased one bag of the comp blend from LJ locally. After a couple cooks with the Bear Mountain and LJ I'm really liking the Bear Mountain. To me, it smells like I'm using wood chunks, not pellets.

rwalters 03-13-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prneum (Post 4282945)
I purchased Bear Mountain pellets at the advice from Caleb. He said they really watch the moisture content of the pellets and they have had good luck with them.
The shipment didn't get here in time for my inaugural cook, so I purchased one bag of the comp blend from LJ locally. After a couple cooks with the Bear Mountain and LJ I'm really liking the Bear Mountain. To me, it smells like I'm using wood chunks, not pellets.

Some brand/types definitely can smell different. To me, they are ALL intoxicating... lol.

StevenZ 03-13-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prneum (Post 4282945)

I noticed this as well. Bear Mountain smells the best and has the least ash of all pellets I've used.

rwalters 03-13-2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenZ (Post 4282963)
I noticed this as well. Bear Mountain smells the best and has the least ash of all pellets I've used.

Have you smelled Cookin’ Pellets Perfect Mix? Oh my!!! :)

Hot Spot 03-13-2020 11:33 AM

Sort of regret not getting one especially since I have $1000 in gift cards I could have applied. I do have quite a few other things that I can spend the money on though and some of them should really be a priority so I held off. Congratulations to all who got in on this. I look forward to seeing your cooks and experiences with the Mak.

WBDubya 03-13-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4282983)

If I could only get someone in my area to participate in a group buy of Cookin' Pellets.....

Anyone in Northern VA, DC or MD?

gben 03-13-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4282983)

There's a Cookin Pellets dealer south of me an hour+, not far from Wooster, called and they told me $29 and change for a 40# bag of Perfect Mix. I'm guessing you have a high opinion of them.

tom b 03-13-2020 05:18 PM

I usually run LJ but cookin pellets are my favorite. For $30 they would be my go to.

rwalters 03-13-2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gben (Post 4283116)
There's a Cookin Pellets dealer south of me an hour+, not far from Wooster, called and they told me $29 and change for a 40# bag of Perfect Mix. I'm guessing you have a high opinion of them.

I love Cookin’ Pellets! You can get them cheaper if you buy 15 bags. $390 delivered to your door. Each bag comes in its own cardboard box. They store nice and neat if you have the room. Or perhaps you can find another pellet guy in your area that wants to go in on an order.

Knute 03-18-2020 11:59 AM

I missed it... Anyone mind PMing me what they paid for the 2* so I can sulk and drink my sorrows away?

GrantAshton 03-18-2020 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knute (Post 4285416)
I missed it... Anyone mind PMing me what they paid for the 2* so I can sulk and drink my sorrows away?

Best to call MAK directly. They were kind & very clear that we are not to share the pricing.

Knute 03-18-2020 12:05 PM

I did. Spoke with Caleb. No chance of an extension.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk