The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cleaning An Ash Pan (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151263)

el_matt 01-10-2013 09:53 PM

Cleaning An Ash Pan

I recently scored an old OTS. The ash pan is dirty, not over the top, but still doable. How can I clean it up and make it look "pretty" before I start using it, and dirty it up again? Is sandpaper the only way, or is there some chemical I should use first?

I know it's just an ash pan, but I've cleaned up everything else, so why not? Once I get savvy with the computer, I'll post some pr0n, but until then...

Matt

MS2SB 01-10-2013 09:57 PM

You could try a little brasso or bartenders friend. That might work to shine it up?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Pyle's BBQ 01-10-2013 10:04 PM

It is aluminum, right? Scrap out what you can and take to it.

Midnight Smoke 01-10-2013 10:07 PM

Steel Wool will work well.

Pyle's BBQ 01-10-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke (Post 2324501)
Steel Wool will work well.

Ok, I'm just a gadget guy.

Midnight Smoke 01-10-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ (Post 2324530)
Ok, I'm just a gadget guy.

Me too, I just find the cheapest way to do things at times. :wink:

aawa 01-11-2013 12:56 PM

Turn it into a One Touch Gold by calling up Weber and saying that you have a OTG where the ash ring and can were damaged in a move. They will ask for a date code, give them that and pay $20-$30 for it.

I did it to the Used 5 timesWeber OTS I bought off craigslist for $20. I payed $25ish for the OTG replacement parts. So I basically ended up with a OTG for $45.

el_matt 01-11-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aawa (Post 2325023)
Turn it into a One Touch Gold by calling up Weber and saying that you have a OTG where the ash ring and can were damaged in a move. They will ask for a date code, give them that and pay $20-$30 for it.

I did it to the Used 5 timesWeber OTS I bought off craigslist for $20. I payed $25ish for the OTG replacement parts. So I basically ended up with a OTG for $45.

So far, I'm liking this idea the best. Are the One Touch systems slightly different from year to year?

Matt

seattlepitboss 01-11-2013 06:18 PM

Best solution is to start with a detergent soak followed by pressure washing. If that isn't sufficient, then a good next step would be to blast it. Soda blasting would be an excellent choice as would glass bead.

Another thing you can do that would look great is to take your random orbital sander and get a brown 3M pad that fits onto it, and scrub it using that. You will get a very pleasing matte swirl pattern, way better than using a flap wheel or other heavy abrasive thing like that.

Or, you could bribe your kid with a new video game and turn him loose with some no. 4 steel wool .. :-)

caseydog 01-11-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt (Post 2325229)
So far, I'm liking this idea the best. Are the One Touch systems slightly different from year to year?

Matt

They went through a significant change in the late 1990's, as far as how the OTG/Master'sTouch ash catchers attached to the bowls. After that, I don't believe they changed.

CD