The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Importance of the team gift bags? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147716)

82's BBQ 11-13-2012 11:44 AM

Importance of the team gift bags?

With the recent article in the Bullsheet regarding the overabundance of gift bags that teams receive at competitions I have a few questions.

1. Do you really look forward to them?
2. What do you like to receive?
3. What don't you like to receive?
4. What do you wish you'd receive?
5. Would you be disappointed in receiving less quantity in the bag?

YankeeBBQ 11-13-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 82's BBQ (Post 2270351)
With the recent article in the Bullsheet regarding the overabundance of gift bags that teams receive at competitions I have a few questions.

Here's my feeling on gift bags. I would rather have clean bathrooms, good ash and grease disposal and better prize money than I would a gift bag any day. Now if you can guarantee all those things and provide a gift bag then personally whatever you put in there is ok by my. Some of my favorite things are cleaning products, tshirts and even discounts to local eateries as long as they're going to be open the day I head out of town. There's nothing I hate more than receiving a coupon for someplace that won't even be opened the only time I'm likely to be able to use it.

dhuffjr 11-13-2012 12:47 PM

What Steve said plus band-aides. I tend to be a danger to myself. Trash bags, roll of paper towels are handy....can you have too many???

Slamdunkpro 11-13-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Not really
Quote:

Stuff I can use, foil, cleaning stuff, Jimmy Buffet cups, Stadium cups etc
Quote:

Toy foam things or toys of any kind (no kids); discount coupons where you have to spend big bucks to use them; fridge magnets from the local car dealer/lawyer/bail bonds:shock:/bank; thimble sized packages of rub samples - if there isn't even enough to coat one chicken wing into the trash it goes; stale snack foods
Quote:

Event pins / stickers
Quote:

No, I'm with Yankeebbq on this.

chad 11-13-2012 01:06 PM

Same as above: love foil, t-shirts, crying towels, etc. Don't need coozies, coasters, magnets, coupons, etc.
The bags themselves have been useful!!
I don't rate a cook off by the goodie bag. Dependable water, electric, and a clean crapper are way more important!

Ron_L 11-13-2012 01:44 PM

I agree with Steve. I'd do without a goody bag if it meant better facilities, etc.

But, it's nice to get local stuff, not things that I can get anywhere.

the absolute best goodie "bag" was at Murphysboro, IL. It was an overflowing bushel basket that took two people to get back to our site!

The worst was at a competition that is sponsored by a radio station. They were giving out grocery bags at the cooks meeting and we all thought it would be full of cool stuff since radio stations get all sort of promo stuff. The only thing in the bag was our turn in boxes. And, they didn't have good facilities to make up for it :)

Sawdustguy 11-13-2012 01:51 PM

Maybe it's just me nut I would rather win.....:mrgreen:

jbrink01 11-13-2012 02:15 PM

Keep the gift bags, less carp to throw away later. Put an extra $25 in the prize pool.

DawgPhan 11-13-2012 02:19 PM

gift backs are a bonus. If I get one, an event shirt, pin or some other item from the event is cool.

I know that those bags are a great way to distribute the sponsors stuff so i always take a look at all of it. Those sponsors pay the bills so I like to give them a look.

The_Kapn 11-13-2012 02:35 PM

I have had great bags with useful stuff, and no bag at all (which is fine with me).
A couple of the bags were great all by them selves and Mrs Kapn still carries stuff in them. 8)

Recent thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...highlight=bags

TIM

kenthanson 11-13-2012 03:16 PM

I have never received a, what do you call them...a gift bag? So yes, a gift bag please!

Simply Smoked 11-13-2012 03:35 PM

We did a comp in Tennessee right down the road from the M&M factory. I never knew they made so many different kinds of M&M's. That was a great gift bag at least 5lbs. We always like the paper towels and stuff like that.... I wish they wouldn't put in flyers for the local title pawn.

riblette 11-13-2012 07:14 PM

With very little exception this is a foreign concept in California. We may get a tee shirt once or twice a year, perhaps an event memento, and on a rare occasion - like the fine folks at MAK Grills are nice enough to sponsor an event - we’ll get some groovy loot. Otherwise, we’ve come to expect the middle of a doughnut…..so the moral of the story….

Don’t look a gift bag in the mouth.

KC_Bobby 11-13-2012 08:02 PM

Gift bags? We never even look in them until we get home (and then if it's paper it gets tossed without looking at) That is unless you're Sam's Club and wheeling a big cart to each site.

Like others have said put the funds towards something useful and put a sign on it "This port a pot sponsored by ABC.

sdbbq1234 11-13-2012 09:08 PM

Wish I knew what they were. :roll:

Having only competed in 2 comps, the only thing close to a gift bag was KCBS bumper stickers that were handed out at the cooks meeting.

wallace