The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

el luchador 01-27-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarbecue (Post 3941023)
My old WSM had the intakes on all 3 sides. It was a nightmare when there is a breeze. We get a lot of that up here in McKinney with no cityscapes for a windbreak.

Well I guess a smoker that has a side to side draft could be affected by wind. My uds has intakes on one side and I've cooked in quite windy conditions no problems whatsoever.

MeridianBlades 01-27-2018 12:58 PM

Interesting. I was considering the vent on the bottom Hunsaker style as well..... UPDATE on my parts run. (pic) Need to start putting together the firebox and pan now. I'm going to use fan type diffuser on the top as well. Should be a fun build.... Also went with the heat deflector around the firebox... Stainless was 1.75 a pound for these cutoffs and the carbon was .60 a lb. Not bad...

https://i.imgur.com/KZK3CE4.jpg

el luchador 01-27-2018 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeridianBlades (Post 3941200)
Interesting. I was considering the vent on the bottom Hunsaker style as well..... UPDATE on my parts run. (pic) Need to start putting together the firebox and pan now. I'm going to use fan type diffuser on the top as well. Should be a fun build.... Also went with the heat deflector around the firebox... Stainless was 1.75 a pound for these cutoffs and the carbon was .60 a lb. Not bad...

looking good. good luck with the build.

Czarbecue 01-28-2018 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeridianBlades (Post 3941200)

https://i.imgur.com/KZK3CE4.jpg

Are those rods going to hang meat?

MeridianBlades 01-28-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarbecue (Post 3941526)
Are those rods going to hang meat?

The threaded rod will sit in the middle of the firebox and the other one is for the wheels.... Heres more pics from the firebox build last night. Firebox and heat shield. Not much throat depth on my bandsaw so had to finish up the cuts with the cut off wheel and then deburr.

https://i.imgur.com/t5edWDc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IhlCKNn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vr8pFF7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XnUgPGU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RvaEeF6.jpg

Czarbecue 01-28-2018 11:20 AM

Nice! I wish I made my own... would like to customize some of the details but I don't have the hardware to do so.

el luchador 01-28-2018 06:44 PM

I ran a test today to see how much intake my drum needs.

I was cooking direct over the coals. just one rack of spareribs.
using a weber kettle lid with vents fully open,
about 30% full of lump coals and 3 chunks of apple wood
. basket size 12hx17diameter
ambient temp was approx 60 degrees.

with only one 3/4" diameter opening and everything else tightly plugged, temp slowly climbed to 276° and may have gone higher if I hadnt put a stop to it.

so I plugged that opening tightly and drilled 2 3/8" diameter holes. two of these have half the area of one 3/4" opening.

temp slowly dropped to 235° and maintained for approx one hour. I opened the smoker to look at the ribs and temp shot up to 251° and seemed to stay there until I decided to pull the meat.

just my experience. your mileage will vary.

MeridianBlades 01-30-2018 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el luchador (Post 3941969)
I ran a test today to see how much intake my drum needs.

I was cooking direct over the coals. just one rack of spareribs.
using a weber kettle lid with vents fully open,
about 30% full of lump coals and 3 chunks of apple wood
. basket size 12hx17diameter
ambient temp was approx 60 degrees.

with only one 3/4" diameter opening and everything else tightly plugged, temp slowly climbed to 276° and may have gone higher if I hadnt put a stop to it.

so I plugged that opening tightly and drilled 2 3/8" diameter holes. two of these have half the area of one 3/4" opening.

temp slowly dropped to 235° and maintained for approx one hour. I opened the smoker to look at the ribs and temp shot up to 251° and seemed to stay there until I decided to pull the meat.

just my experience. your mileage will vary.

Thanks for testing, good info right there....

el luchador 01-30-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeridianBlades (Post 3942761)
Thanks for testing, good info right there....

Thank you :)

ebijack 01-30-2018 10:09 AM

Just note about how much intake air is required.
A lot of factors go into answering that question. Where you are located. Type of wind/weather/elevation.
Are you using any left over coals or only fresh coals.
Less air if using lump, more air if using briquettes. A lot more air if using used coals.
Winter time/cold weather, typically you need more intake than summer.
How much meat is loaded into said UDS. More meat, a bit more air.
More air when using drip pan.

You also need to look at how much exh for how much intake.

el luchador 01-30-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebijack (Post 3942797)
Just note about how much intake air is required.
A lot of factors go into answering that question. Where you are located. Type of wind/weather/elevation.
Are you using any left over coals or only fresh coals.
Less air if using lump, more air if using briquettes. A lot more air if using used coals.
Winter time/cold weather, typically you need more intake than summer.
How much meat is loaded into said UDS. More meat, a bit more air.
More air when using drip pan.

You also need to look at how much exh for how much intake.

In other words, your mileage may vary? :biggrin1:

all those things and more will make a difference that why its important to have a system that lets a large amount of air in to get to temp, but can be adjusted in small steps to get to a set temp. its also important to know your drum.

I know that using a deflector will use more fuel, more air, and heat up the drum more.

going direct, using hardly any fuel, very little air, and does not heat up the drum very much.

Blue Kettle 01-31-2018 10:55 PM

Okay, so say you are stuck with a "food grade" barrel with the liner as your best purchase option (outside of exorbitant prices [$101] or driving several hours). How hard is that to actually get out. I've seen conflicting stories online. Some say one good fire and some wire brush is sufficient. Others say you might have to burn, brush, burn, brush, repeatedly to get it all. Anyone have any anecdotal evidence one way or another on this?

Nuco59 02-01-2018 05:57 AM

I did it once - on my first UDS. I believed that "food grade" was the only way to go. I was wrong- won't do it again.

Mine had the yellow epoxy /phenolic(?) liner. 1 good burn out with pallets, another partial burn out with tree branches and cuttings (ran out of pallets). Then had to partially climb inside it on my driveway (not a pretty picture) with a grinder/wheels, mask and hearing protection to get it to bare metal.

It was a character building exercise...not to be repeated. I never regretted doing it- I fully enjoyed my UDS. But it was way more involved than "drill a few holes, make a basket and Bob's your uncle"

Your experience may be better.

Blue Kettle 02-01-2018 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuco59 (Post 3943739)
I did it once - on my first UDS. I believed that "food grade" was the only way to go. I was wrong- won't do it again.

Mine had the yellow epoxy /phenolic(?) liner. 1 good burn out with pallets, another partial burn out with tree branches and cuttings (ran out of pallets). Then had to partially climb inside it on my driveway (not a pretty picture) with a grinder/wheels, mask and hearing protection to get it to bare metal.

It was a character building exercise...not to be repeated. I never regretted doing it- I fully enjoyed my UDS. But it was way more involved than "drill a few holes, make a basket and Bob's your uncle"

Your experience may be better.

Since you ended up having to grind it from the inside anyway do you think that if you had done that from the beginning the burn would have been more effective? Or, were the fires necessary to make the grinding easier? If I could literally just grind I might actually prefer that to screwing with a toxic plastic fire in the backyard.

el luchador 02-02-2018 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Kettle (Post 3943655)
Okay, so say you are stuck with a "food grade" barrel with the liner as your best purchase option (outside of exorbitant prices [$101] or driving several hours). How hard is that to actually get out. I've seen conflicting stories online. Some say one good fire and some wire brush is sufficient. Others say you might have to burn, brush, burn, brush, repeatedly to get it all. Anyone have any anecdotal evidence one way or another on this?

lets say you had to drive a couple of hours to get a barrel, and a couple of hours back.

so, say 4 hours total.

you'll probably spend 2x that much time getting a lined drum ready. remove liner, grind outside paint off, repaint, etc.

So, would you rather spend 8 hours grinding out liner, or 4 hours driving listening to music?

I know what my choice would be.