The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Carbon 07-26-2011 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselDawg (Post 1725016)
I'm a "gauge guy" so I plan to have a long stem thermometer in the side, as well as a short one next to it so I can see the temperature difference between the edge and the center.

I love gauges too. I wished Stewart-Warner or VDO made smoker gauges. That would be cool....lol...

Noting the temp differences while I was seasoning my drum over the weekend I decided to install a brass nipple next to my short stemmed gauge so I can slide a 12" stemmed fryer thermo through. I picked up the brass nipple and cap (which I drilled thru) at Home Depot last night.

fat_bastard 07-26-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbon (Post 1725090)
I love gauges too. I wished Stewart-Warner or VDO made smoker gauges. That would be cool....lol...

Noting the temp differences while I was seasoning my drum over the weekend I decided to install a brass nipple next to my short stemmed gauge so I can slide a 12" stemmed fryer thermo through. I picked up the brass nipple and cap (which I drilled thru) at Home Depot last night.

I did the same thing except I ignored the cap. I drilled the hole in my drum small enough that the nipple screws into it tightly and the thermometer seals it up enough.

schellter 07-26-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDaddysBBQ (Post 1725037)
I have read up to about 125 in the past week and am very impressed with the level of information that is in this thread. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a drum in my area (Baltimore, MD) I am ready to get started. If I didnt have to burn out that would be great too since I'm in ..... Baltimore.

Someone else asked this question here:
http://www.mdshooters.com/archive/in...p/t-51665.html

Good luck

johnnyb1216 07-26-2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pman777 (Post 1724711)
It appears you have the same short thermometer I have. Is that the glow in the dark, $7 thermometer from Amazon? I also have a Walmart thermometer with a 12" stem. The good news is the short thermometer I have is accurate. The bad news is the reading on the wall is not worth much.

In my short time (seasoning run and then 2 cookings) I have learned there is a major difference between the center of the UDS reading and a reading near the wall. This discrepancy increases as the temperature increases. When my center reading is about 250, my wall reading is about 190. When my center reading is about 325, my wall reading is about 210. This discrepancy is a bit exaggerated with our wall thermometer because our's, I believe, is shorter than most other wall thermometers. Our's extends about 2" past the wall while many extend 4 to 5 inches in. My Walmart thermometer is 12" long.

Because of this I decided to try a heat dispersment plate. Right now I have a 10" aluminum pie pan just above my charcoal basket which is about 9" below my cooking grate. It reduces the discrepancy but only a small amount. Now when my center runs 250, my wall runs about 200 to 205. I need to increase the diameter of my 10" pie pan or raise it or some combination of both.

i was thinkin about the plate above charcoal basket too. if you used a 10" maybe ill run down to the old local pizza joint and ask if i can have an old 12" pizza pan and maybe a 16" too (im very much into tryin to scavange as many parts as possible so i can tell people i got less than $50 in it and produce great bbq) and try them mounted above my basket my next question is gonna be should i drill holes or not how big of holes and how many? or i'll just experament with them until i get a good balance. another thing is ill start mounting closest to the basket cuz i know aluminum doesnt hold heat so its more for the heat to go around ( and through if i drill holes). and yup i got the same $7 thermos on amazon .now i need to find the 12" thermo you got at walmart. was it lables a fryer thermometer candy thermometer or what? and how much? also after reading some more posts im gonna take my verticle pipe off and just run a valve off the nipple just to nip any drafting problems right in the bud. thanks for helpin me with my questions and being about the same experience with these uds' we can help each other with this

NapalmRunner 07-27-2011 01:34 PM

This thread is EPIC!! I've made it to page 435 and I have gotten alost everything i need for a build. Pics to come soon!

colonel00 07-27-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb1216 (Post 1725561)
i was thinkin about the plate above charcoal basket too. if you used a 10" maybe ill run down to the old local pizza joint and ask if i can have an old 12" pizza pan and maybe a 16" too (im very much into tryin to scavange as many parts as possible so i can tell people i got less than $50 in it and produce great bbq) and try them mounted above my basket my next question is gonna be should i drill holes or not how big of holes and how many? or i'll just experament with them until i get a good balance. another thing is ill start mounting closest to the basket cuz i know aluminum doesnt hold heat so its more for the heat to go around ( and through if i drill holes). and yup i got the same $7 thermos on amazon .now i need to find the 12" thermo you got at walmart. was it lables a fryer thermometer candy thermometer or what? and how much? also after reading some more posts im gonna take my verticle pipe off and just run a valve off the nipple just to nip any drafting problems right in the bud. thanks for helpin me with my questions and being about the same experience with these uds' we can help each other with this

Walmart carries a 16" pizza pan for $3. Also, check out thrift stores like Salvation Army and Goodwill if you have them in your area. They are great for finding stuff like this. Below is what I grabbed on day for only a couple bucks. The black one worked really good.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...0/IMAG0088.jpg

Rick T 07-27-2011 02:09 PM

For a little more control I drilled a 3/8" hole at the end and bottom of the nipples, so some air can get in if I wish with the caps on.
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh42/Ruffly/UDS.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...UDS/UDS001.jpg
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...S/defusers.jpg

Carbon 07-27-2011 03:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I installed a brass nipple just underneath the top grate for my 12" stemmed fryer thermometer.

pAT_13 07-27-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDaddysBBQ (Post 1725037)
I have read up to about 125 in the past week and am very impressed with the level of information that is in this thread. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a drum in my area (Baltimore, MD) I am ready to get started. If I didnt have to burn out that would be great too since I'm in ..... Baltimore.

Abbey Drum Company
1440 Chesapeake Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21226
PHONE: (410) 355-3111


Dave S 07-27-2011 07:48 PM

Abbey Drum Company is where I bought mine a few weeks ago. Great place to get a new or re-conditioned drum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pAT_13 (Post 1726849)
Abbey Drum Company
1440 Chesapeake Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21226
PHONE: (410) 355-3111


pman777 07-27-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb1216 (Post 1725561)
i was thinkin about the plate above charcoal basket too. if you used a 10" maybe ill run down to the old local pizza joint and ask if i can have an old 12" pizza pan and maybe a 16" too (im very much into tryin to scavange as many parts as possible so i can tell people i got less than $50 in it and produce great bbq) and try them mounted above my basket my next question is gonna be should i drill holes or not how big of holes and how many? or i'll just experament with them until i get a good balance. another thing is ill start mounting closest to the basket cuz i know aluminum doesnt hold heat so its more for the heat to go around ( and through if i drill holes). and yup i got the same $7 thermos on amazon .now i need to find the 12" thermo you got at walmart. was it lables a fryer thermometer candy thermometer or what? and how much? also after reading some more posts im gonna take my verticle pipe off and just run a valve off the nipple just to nip any drafting problems right in the bud. thanks for helpin me with my questions and being about the same experience with these uds' we can help each other with this

Here is my drum.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l...7/IMG_1953.jpg

The thermometer on the left is the Walmart 12" thermometer. Walmart does not have it on their website. It is in several of the Walmarts in my Fayetteville, AR area. It sells for 4.99 and it's quite accurate. It was in the bbq grill accessories dept. The square looking framed part at the top of my thermometer is not a part of the thermomter. The part that looks like a square frame to the top of my thermometer is the outer brace for my ubolt system holding up my grate. The thermometer looks like this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bayou-Clas...meter/11902779

only my thermometer doesn't have the red on the face. Check your local Walmart. I'm pretty sure it was only labeled Mainstays Thermometer. Mainstays is a Walmart brand name.

I'd definitely be interested in your feedback with larger plates. I'm going to wait until I get a change in the heat balance before I start drilling holes. I like to change only one variable at a time.

colonel00 07-27-2011 09:54 PM

Looks good pman. If you put [IMG] and [/IMG] around the photo links they will show up in the thread without having to click on them.

mike5150 07-27-2011 10:42 PM

My New Drum Liner & Lid Question
 
Picked up this Drum off Craigs List $10.00 seem like a great buy. It had some oil for making hand lotion. The liner seems to just be paint to me i am guessing a good burn would do the trick to remove? I also panicked when I took the ring off and tried to put the lid back on the lid did not fit good at all....So i pulled the seal out of the lid and pushed it back on and BINGO it fit like a glove is this how they all do? Should I be worried ?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-f...s512/Drum1.JPG



https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-X...s512/Drum3.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-j...s512/Drum2.JPG

Norcoredneck 07-27-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike5150 (Post 1727173)
Picked up this Drum off Craigs List $10.00 seem like a great buy. It had some oil for making hand lotion. The liner seems to just be paint to me i am guessing a good burn would do the trick to remove? I also panicked when I took the ring off and tried to put the lid back on the lid did not fit good at all....So i pulled the seal out of the lid and pushed it back on and BINGO it fit like a glove is this how they all do? Should I be worried ?


Long as you get it to seal. Drums get out of round easily. Be careful not to warp lid in burning process.

Norcoredneck 07-27-2011 11:00 PM

For those who skipped the meat of this novel, do yourself a favor. Do a search for "Thirdeye Hoe Scoop". Aids in cleanup


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.