Weber kettle 26 extension

Hinds15

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Any weber kettle 26 owners out there cut a 85 gallon drum for a extension like the 22 kettle and 55 gallon drum? The outside diameter for the kettle bowl is 27" and the outside of the salvage 85 gallon drum is 27" ( not sure if the measurement for the drum is at the crown of the ribs or smooth portion). I know with the 22 kettle and the 55 gal if you cut around the rib area it fits on to the kettle bowl nicely.

If any of you 85 gallon uds users can help with measurement that would be great also.

Any weber kettle 26 owners out there cut a 85 gallon drum for a extension like the 22 kettle and 55 gallon drum? The outside diameter for the kettle bowl is 27" and the outside of the salvage 85 gallon drum is 27" ( not sure if the measurement for the drum is at the crown of the ribs or smooth portion). I know with the 22 kettle and the 55 gal if you cut around the rib area it fits on to the kettle bowl nicely.

If any of you 85 gallon uds users can help with measurement that would be great also.

I have a Weber 26" lid on my 85-gallon drum. No modifications were necessary. I purchased the drum new from Grainger.

I have a Weber 26" lid on my 85-gallon drum. No modifications were necessary. I purchased the drum new from Grainger.

Can you get a measurement of one of the ribs heck if you can get a exact measurement of the smooth side portion. If it's right at 27 inches I know the rib is bigger so it will fit over the kettle bowl. Picture of what I want to do.

Last edited:
I love stuff like this.

Keep an eye on the weight if you do this. With my first 26, I experimented with stuff like this I think I tweaked the front leg socket. The leg itself was fine but I think the combination of the weight and the heat (and probably moving it) tweaked it just enough that the kettle permanently leaned back slightly. I'm not exactly sure when it happened or if that was even the reason but just throwing that out there as something to keep an eye on. I never had this issue with the 22...just the 26.

Yep I've seen a few picture and post with the 26er having the weird lean. I know some are wondering why would i cut up a perfectly good drum. Reason is no one makes a extension for the 26. Smoke ez hasn't found a new home for production, I think cajun bandit use to make them but not anymore, and the company spitfiregrilling that can make them is in canada so shipping is outrageous. As long as it'll fit a cut down 85 gallon drum is the only and cheapest option.

I'm thinking it will work. They have a few 85 gallon drums at my work that are unlined and haven't been used but the outsides are a bit worn. Just have to convince them to let me get one. Don't really want to cut up a brand new one or pay the 233$ but if it comes to it I will. For those with the weber lid on the 85 is the top or bottom of the drum?

Back