The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   KCBS - Steak (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294300)

thirdeye 09-15-2021 04:14 PM

KCBS - Steak

The KCBS National Steak Championship is around the corner.

HERE is The link for a description and the rules.

Porcine Perfection 09-16-2021 05:54 AM

Hmm.... Strips not ribeyes. Don't tell KCBS that they're called New York strips in some parts. Might be out of necessity, but it is good to see KCBS diversifying.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

ModelMaker 09-16-2021 06:45 AM

Lets see,
Master series
Backyard
Steak
Turkey
Pork Chop
Kosher

Pick 'em, cook 'em, win 'em.
Ed

thirdeye 09-16-2021 09:55 AM

Regarding the approved list of meat suppliers.... I order meats from Creekstone a couple of times a year and have been very satisfied, but it comes with a cost. Having Organizer supplied meat makes it easier for someone to jump into the competition and is why SCA contests are popular.

I wonder if someone like Sam's Club or Costco would become one of the approved suppliers?

rob g 09-16-2021 10:55 AM

I can't see steaks being restricted to only these suppliers as long as they meet the size criteria. Kcbs is world-wide and you need to obtain meat locally to compete.
Per the email:
Pitmasters, the KCBS National Steak Championships is proud to partner with Creekstone Farms® and Double R Ranch® as the official meat purveyors to provide Choice-Grade Kansas City Strip Steaks that meet the specifications of the KCBS National Steak Championships.

thirdeye 09-16-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob g (Post 4513816)
I can't see steaks being restricted to only these suppliers as long as they meet the size criteria. Kcbs is world-wide and you need to obtain meat locally to compete.
Per the email:
Pitmasters, the KCBS National Steak Championships is proud to partner with Creekstone Farms® and Double R Ranch® as the official meat purveyors to provide Choice-Grade Kansas City Strip Steaks that meet the specifications of the KCBS National Steak Championships.

Agreed about the world wide exposure. It looks like KCBS does not want someone buying USDA Prime or CAB and using that. And for what it's worth "Choice" has several levels, so Creekstone might sell upper choice. And since the packaging must be intact, the meat inspector need only look at the label and the cook is good to go.

They will surely allow other suppliers to certify the meat in the package is Choice grade, and is a KC Strip, and meets the thickness and weight range. This way if you want to buy from Creekstone fine, but you could also buy from Sam's or Costco.

rob g 09-16-2021 12:42 PM

I expect this meat rule is going to be getting some better definition going forward. You can't restrict people from sourcing their meat where they want or they won't enter. At the same time somebody can get their local butcher to write anything on the brown paper wrapper. If you want to take business away from the SCA group you can't make it difficult. Their system of having the organizer supply the meat puts all the teams on a relatively even playing field.

bbqczar 09-17-2021 03:28 PM

No grill marks(scored down)2 meat suppliers, etc. the whole thing has to big a big joke, and they know it.

thirdeye 09-17-2021 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqczar (Post 4514147)
No grill marks(scored down)2 meat suppliers, etc. the whole thing has to big a big joke, and they know it.

Usually a rule committee writes a rule without any justification. Or with clarification along the lines of "The color of a perfectly grilled steak should be....". So it did strike me as odd to see a person quoted in the clause about the no grill marks.