The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Meat Burner 10-14-2008 09:44 PM

Correct fordman. Get it done and get it dirty. Just wipe it down with some kind of fat after you wash and dry it, then fire that bad boy up!!!!!!

fordman 10-14-2008 09:48 PM

Just in time to hormeal boston butts 99 per lb at the store thinking first cook. Does lump burn hotter and longer that brickets? plus 10lbs should last correct?

Meat Burner 10-14-2008 10:04 PM

fordman, lump will burn hotter and bricks will burn more even and longer. I mix about half and half, (experiment with your drum as they act a little different), do some cooks and see what works for you and stick with that combination. Some burn all lump, some burn all bricks...just experiment. Either way will work just fine. 10lbs or maybe a little more should do the trick. Add plenty and see how much is left for the next burn. A little too much will keep you from fighting the fire in the latter stages of the burn and anything left over will keep just fine for the next cook. You will be just fine. Have fun and keep notes.

fordman 10-14-2008 10:09 PM

Due to the rain now and tomarrow looks like a good garage project tomarrow.

Meat Burner 10-14-2008 10:19 PM

That's okay fordman, at least you are making progress. Problem is, you are going to get real antsy to fire that marvelous smoker up. Get some type of easy-up tent and then the rain will not stop you from firing up the drum. The wifey and I cook year round, rain, snow, cold, whatever. The drum works well under a variety of weather conditions.

Dr_KY 10-15-2008 05:22 AM

We have no choice in the matter when it comes to weather over here so just fire it up like Meat said and enjoy.

fordman 10-15-2008 10:49 AM

Well got a weed burner and used it. How good do I need to burn it since no liner have the whole drum blue and outside paint smoking and burned off in some spots. Is that good?

burgs95 10-15-2008 11:34 AM

measurements

I finally got my food grade drum. I'm working on the layout and have a question about grate height. Everything says to have the grate 24" over the basket. If the basket is 3" off bottom, and the basket is 8" tall, that only leaves 24" to the very top of the barrel (35" tall). I noticed most people have the lower grate about 6-8" below the top of the barrel.

Chris

Mark 10-15-2008 11:42 AM

I'd say it depends on what you've got for a lid. Using a domed Weber kettle lid, you only need it down maybe 3 inches.

burgs95 10-15-2008 11:48 AM

I want to use the flat lid first. I don't smoke alot at one time, and want to learn first. Eventually, I'll get a domed lid and add the second higher rack. My main concern is the measurement of the first lower rack.

If I come down 8" from the top, that will leave 16" to the very top of the basket, but it will be 27" from the bottom of the barrel

michiana mark 10-15-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgs95 (Post 758451)
I want to use the flat lid first. I don't smoke alot at one time, and want to learn first. Eventually, I'll get a domed lid and add the second higher rack. My main concern is the measurement of the first lower rack.

If I come down 8" from the top, that will leave 16" to the very top of the basket, but it will be 27" from the bottom of the barrel

Measure from the bottom of your fire basket up 24". This should put your rack about 27" from the bottom of the drum. Should leave you about 8" to the top.

fordman 10-15-2008 08:29 PM

Ok got a seasoning burn going haveing a hard time keeping temps steady> My drum has 3 3/4 holes two capped and one ball valve on a 24" pipe up the side of the barrel. Also running one 2" exhaust out the large plug. Used little under 10lbs of lump and some hickory chunks. Can get it up to temp but as soon as I put the caps on and tweak the valve just a little things go down hill. Help please. Have my temp probe mounted to the grate.

ON THE FARM 10-15-2008 10:08 PM

Leave the caps off and see what happens.
You have 3/4" holes? so that means you are useing 1/2" pipe?
you will need more air flow than just the ball valve.
try one cap off and fine tune with the ball valve.

fordman 10-15-2008 10:09 PM

sorry 3/4 pipes 1" holes

ON THE FARM 10-15-2008 10:14 PM

Ok, try the one cap off and fine tune with the ball valve.
should be fine.