The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   BBQ Rib Problem on Traeger Bronson 20 (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273902)

Jainagirl 07-14-2019 02:29 PM

BBQ Rib Problem on Traeger Bronson 20

Hi, everyone

I have a question about pork ribs and the Traeger Bronson 20 pellet smoker/grill. This has happened a couple of times. When I make ribs, they come out almost too cooked, falling off the bone in shreds. The flavor and smoke are great, but they seem to be overcooked, according to what I see on TV. You can't just pick up a rib and take a bite -- the meat just falls off. Anyway, I think I need to adjust my cooking times. Presently, I'm doing 3 hr smoke, 2 hr wrapped and 1 hour glaze. I add some apple juice and seasonings to the wrap. I don't really know which times to adjust. Your help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I usually make a single rack, in the 3 to 4 pound weight range. Using Williams Rib Tickler rub and Traeger Sugar Lips glaze, membrane removed. Was thinking of possibly 2.5 hour smoke, 1.5 hour wrapped, 1 hour glaze. What do you think? TIA

Jaina

PatAttack 07-14-2019 03:17 PM

What ribs are you cooking? Spares or BB's?

Baby backs will cook a little faster than spares.

You are definitely overcooking them.

drunkenmeatfist 07-14-2019 03:53 PM

What temp are you cooking at? I cook at 275-300 and find that any longer than an hour wrapped is going to be overcooked.

ronbrad62 07-14-2019 04:29 PM

I will say that if you are cooking them with your current timed methods, you should be down around 225-250. If you cook hotter, cut back on the first stage by 30 min to an hour, wrap and check after 30-45 min. Final sauced, uncovered stage needs to only be a few minutes to set the sauce. You can adjust accordingly, but this should get you to a better finished product.

Eric In STL 07-14-2019 05:13 PM

One hour wrapped for spares or baby backs is plenty for either, ribs will be tender but won't fall off the bone

Rockinar 07-14-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jainagirl (Post 4205342)
Hi, everyone

When I make ribs, they come out almost too cooked, falling off the bone in shreds. The flavor and smoke are great, but they seem to be overcooked, according to what I see on TV. You can't just pick up a rib and take a bite -- the meat just falls off.

Anyway, I think I need to adjust my cooking times. Presently, I'm doing 3 hr smoke, 2 hr wrapped and 1 hour glaze. I add some apple juice and seasonings to the wrap. I don't really know which times to adjust. Your help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I usually make a single rack, in the 3 to 4 pound weight range. Using Williams Rib Tickler rub and Traeger Sugar Lips glaze, membrane removed. Was thinking of possibly 2.5 hour smoke, 1.5 hour wrapped, 1 hour glaze. What do you think? TIA

Jaina

You're another victim of the 3-2-1 method nonsense that's preached by people who have no clue what they are doing.

Nothing wrong with your original cook time of 3-4 hours (depending on rack size). It's the wrap that's killing you. 2 hours wrapped is way too long and will result in mushy ribs every time. Start checking them after about 30 minutes. In my experience longer than 1 hour results in mushy ribs.

Smoke Dawg 07-14-2019 05:46 PM

Like said above. Limit the wrap time or eliminate the wrap time.

If I wrap it is usually about 30 minutes. This is what makes them tender but too much time will make them fall off the bone.

AWilliams 07-14-2019 06:25 PM

Had the same problem. Was trying to get fancy with 3-2-1...just run them straight and watch your time with respect to the ribs your doing. Mine come out better now.

Happy Hapgood 07-14-2019 10:28 PM

What the other folks have said. After I learned my WSM I'm more of a 2-1.5-.5 guy now. Always bend test before and after wrapping. Great indicator on how much longer to go. I've had to forego the last .5 hour to let the sauce set because they are done when they are done on some racks. Sauce still sets fine if you plan on adding any while they are resting. That's Saint Louis cut spares at 275*F.

Good Luck!