The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Boston Butts in Weber Charcoal Grill (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239567)

Ribeye Rob 11-25-2016 01:51 AM

Boston Butts in Weber Charcoal Grill

1 Attachment(s)
In an attempt to master the smoking technique I encourage myself to make a boston butt. The only tool I have is a Weber Master-Touch 22in Charcoal Grill that my wife gave me as a gift last Christmas. So here's my adventure...
+ Started a night before and rubbed two boston butts with a Weber Dry Smoking Rub.
+ I woke up at 3:30am and took the butts out of the fridge.
+ On a half of the grill I placed foil on the bottom and also a drip pan with water, the foil for easy cleaning of the grill and the pan to have humidity inside the grill.
+ Filled a chimney starter with Kingsford charcoal briquettes and then arranged those briquettes in a semicircle in the kettle (unlit). Lit one of the ends of the semicircle and placed about four hickory chunks along the briquettes.
+ I made with foil a heat deflector and placed it below the grate in the middle of the grill to avoid direct heat to the butts.
+ Placed the grate in its position and closed the lid.
+ I half closed the bottom vent and left about a third open the upper vent. Waited until the iGrill read 250*, then added the two boston butts.
+ In a cup of apple juice I added about a tablespoon of the Weber rub. After 3 hours I brushed the butts with the mixture. From then on, I brushed the butts every hour or so.
+ After 5 hours of cooking I checked the internal temperature of the butts. One read 160* and the other one 155*, I decided to swap the position of the butts and waited another hour.
+ Passing that hour the other butt also got to 160*. Arranged four big pieces of foil (two for each butt), placed a butt in the foil and added some more juice mixture, did the same thing with the other butt.
+ Returned to the grate and closed the lid. Waited 4 more hours.
+ After 10 hours of cooking the internal temperature got to 190* in both butts.
+ I let the butts rest in a lifoam cooler for about two hours.
+ In the meantime I made two bbq sauces, both from a Weber's cookbook: West Carolina and Kansas City-style.
+ Throughout the smoking process the temperature varied between 230* and 275*, the iGrill was of much help to control the temp.

Titch 11-25-2016 03:24 AM

Nice work it seems.How did they taste?

IamMadMan 11-25-2016 06:45 AM

Looks great....

Bigbears BBQ 11-25-2016 06:58 AM

Nice job, looks like they came out great

KevinJ 11-25-2016 11:06 AM

Great job, I smoked on a Kettle for 2 years before breaking down and buying a WSM, you can make some great Q on a Kettle.

Ribeye Rob 11-25-2016 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieTitch (Post 3691848)
Nice work it seems.How did they taste?

They came out pretty good, the whole family really enjoyed it.

Ribeye Rob 11-25-2016 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinJ (Post 3692037)
Great job, I smoked on a Kettle for 2 years before breaking down and buying a WSM, you can make some great Q on a Kettle.

I plan to get a WSM in a year or so.

SPRfree 11-25-2016 08:23 PM

Looks great...its the cook not the cooker that makes great bbq.

on the hook 11-26-2016 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Basrah, Iraq, Camp Harper, Dec, 2010.....We smoked(?) butts in Little Joes....Make do with what ya got...

Big George's BBQ 11-26-2016 08:52 AM

Very Nice Kettles are awesome

Ribeye Rob 11-26-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by on the hook (Post 3692523)
Basrah, Iraq, Camp Harper, Dec, 2010.....We smoked(?) butts in Little Joes....Make do with what ya got...

Amazing!

bucko 11-28-2016 01:11 PM

Looks great I love Weber kettles thinking about getting rid of wsm and buying a performer they are alot of fun wsm is great but it's more of a set it and forget it