The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Membrane (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157270)

smokinrack 03-28-2013 08:20 AM

Membrane

Was watching a show the other day, probably pitmasters and they were doing ribs. One of the guys left the membrane on the back of them when he cooked them.Years ago when I had no idea what I was doing I used to leave it on but didnt realize there were people who cooked competitions or professionaly who leave it on.Anyone in here do that and if so why?

HankB 03-28-2013 08:24 AM

I leave if it gets too hard to remove it. Some come off easier than others. I've heard it said that it keeps the meat moister.

smokinrack 03-28-2013 08:28 AM

Thats what the guy on tv said as well but when I used to it always seemed to make the ribs tougher and kind of chewy, but as I said back then I had no idea what I was doing so this just made me curious if I was totally backwards on the subject:mrgreen:

Jaskew82 03-28-2013 08:38 AM

I always remove it. Removing it allows the rub to penetrate the meat. Also results in a more tender finished product. I recently decided to leave it on to see if I could REALLY tell the difference... The answer is yes, I could clearly.

Cack 03-28-2013 08:38 AM

I know most (probably not all) restaurants leave it on because they don't have time to remove it from every rack they do.

There's times when I can tell it's there and times you can't. I remove it to allow the rub to soak in from the bottom side.

Ron_L 03-28-2013 08:41 AM

I remember that episode, but what I don't remember is if he removed it after the ribs cook. I have read about folks leaving it on while cooking and then taking it off before slicing the ribs.

smokinrack 03-28-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 2426383)
I remember that episode, but what I don't remember is if he removed it after the ribs cook. I have read about folks leaving it on while cooking and then taking it off before slicing the ribs.

I dont think they showed him removing it but I know they dont show a lot of the prep work on that show either before they box the meat so he may have.

Terry The Toad 03-28-2013 09:32 AM

I think no-membrane ribs are way over-rated. I used to take it off (and I thought "dang, these are some awesome ribs!")... then I realized that it was the smoking that made them so good. I don't worry about it much anymore.

Yendor 03-28-2013 09:47 AM

I always leave it on, tried taking it off before and the wife got mad, she likes that little pull it creates. I've also seen and read that it helps to keep the ribs more moist. I know my ribs are always moist. FYI, I do not wrap my ribs ever so that may play into if they get chewy or not if you leave it on as well.

Bludawg 03-28-2013 10:01 AM

I leave it on IMO your ribs a juicer. 30 yrs ago I would leave it on, then it became the thing to pull it, and I went down that trail ( and tried all the Snakeoil too) this is when I started to chase MY BBQ looking for nirvana. Now I stopped pulling it again, Ditched all the Snake oil, and once again cranknig out some awesome "Q". K. I. S. S. my bothers!

BobM 03-28-2013 10:06 AM

I remove it.

DriverWild 03-28-2013 10:08 AM

If you like that piece of wax paper stuck to your meat go ahead and leave it on.

Gnaws on Pigs 03-28-2013 10:40 AM

I remove mine. I've tried leaving it on several times as an experiment, but I prefer to remove it. Doesn't take but five seconds to yank it off of there, anyway.

tnjimbob 03-28-2013 11:25 AM

Remove. I heard of a well known BBQ restaurant that leaves the membrane on while smoking, then moves the ribs over a char-broiler to burn off the remaining membrane. Never tried it at home.

BBQdisciple 03-28-2013 11:32 AM

i pull it off, only takes a second and is just what I am used to doing