The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Grilled/Smoked Potatoes (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109219)

Steveat 06-20-2011 03:20 PM

Grilled/Smoked Potatoes

Hello,

I am new to this forum and new to BBQ. I apologize if this was covered in a different post, I tried to do a search and could not come up with a thread and I do not have access to the recipe section.

A year or so ago I attended an event that had a guy haul in a smoker attached to his truck to cater smoked food at the event. It was AWESOME! He had cooked whole potatoes (without aluminum foil) in the smoker. He had some sort of a red rub/paste on the potatoes and they were amazing. Anyone have any ideas on recipes that might be similar?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

TN_BBQ 06-20-2011 04:42 PM

When I bake taters, I bake em without foil so the skin doesn't get all soggy. I usually hit em with a lil oil n salt.

I'd say he simply rubbed the taters with oil n seasonings. Since they were red, it was probably some sort of paprika based seasoning (very much like most BBQ rubs).

I watched something on TV and one of the multiple choice questions was

What is the most popular grilled vegetable?

1. corn
2. zuchinni
3. potatoes
4. asparagus

A: potatoes, which struck me as being odd. Maybe their definition is a bit different from mine (I deduced there must be a lot of folks sitting around the campfires with a lot of foil).

JMSetzler 06-20-2011 04:44 PM

I like to grill potatoes also. I typically brine mine for a couple hours before throwing them on the grill. I grill them foiled for the first half or so of the cook and then unwrap them for the remainder to firm up the skin.

FWIW, there is a fantastic potato brine recipe in the new Guy Feiri cookbook...

boatnut 06-21-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMSetzler (Post 1680404)
I like to grill potatoes also. I typically brine mine for a couple hours before throwing them on the grill. I grill them foiled for the first half or so of the cook and then unwrap them for the remainder to firm up the skin.

FWIW, there is a fantastic potato brine recipe in the new Guy Feiri cookbook...

go here for Feiri's recipe-
http://www.food.com/recipe/bomb-bake...y-fieri-383114

PCFisher66 06-21-2011 02:19 PM

Wow, a brine for potatoes. Does in add moisture like with meat?

Tod

deguerre 06-21-2011 02:22 PM

I like them simple. I do the small Yukon Golds brushed with EVOO then salt & pepper with no foil done indirect with whatever the wood chunk du jour is for the meat.

TedW 06-21-2011 02:24 PM

I like to use a thin-skin potato. Olive oil, then kosher salt. No foil. I use a two-tiered rack system and place the potatoes under the meat. The meat drippings add really an amazing flavor. It was done accidentally once as I ran out of room, and it was such a hit I do it all the time now.

jestridge 06-21-2011 02:30 PM

I agree with Ted keep it simple

GreenDrake 06-21-2011 07:43 PM

You want to see what taters can do...? Start a batch of jerky on racks above them, score the taters, rub with EVOO and dry rub, leave them set under the jerky meat. By the time the jerky is done, you have smoked steak flavored taters. Yeah, it's THAT good.

mykz26 06-21-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedW (Post 1681457)
I like to use a thin-skin potato. Olive oil, then kosher salt. No foil. I use a two-tiered rack system and place the potatoes under the meat. The meat drippings add really an amazing flavor. It was done accidentally once as I ran out of room, and it was such a hit I do it all the time now.

I like your style :cool: