Can I freeze a pork butt?

rw02kr43

Full Fledged Farker
I'm wanting to smoke a butt this weekend. Can I buy one today and freeze it then cook this weekend as long as it is thawed out good?

Jason

Can you? Yes. But, if you mean this weekend as in 3 days from now, I'd just buy it and leave it in the fridge, or just wait and buy it the day before. Grocery stores don't freeze them for the few days that they sit in the coolers. If you were to freeze it; it will freeze in a day and require a few days to completely thaw in the fridge.

Can you? Yes. But, if you mean this weekend as in 3 days from now, I'd just buy it and leave it in the fridge, or just wait and buy it the day before. Grocery stores don't freeze them for the few days that they sit in the coolers. If you were to freeze it; it will freeze in a day and require a few days to completely thaw in the fridge.

I agree with McGurk.

If you bought it today and want to cook it on Saturday, you should not have to freeze it until then. Especially if it is in cryo.

I hope you didn't freeze it - if you did, and are going to want to cook it this weekend, pull it out NOW.

I hope you didn't freeze it - if you did, and are going to want to cook it this weekend, pull it out NOW.

Yes, or you could just pull it out the day of the cook, microwave the chit out of it to thaw it, then smoke it.

JUST KIDDING! DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!

A good microwave will have a "defrost" setting, but not at ALL ideal.
Just buy it and fridge it and cook it. No freeze necessary, as has been stated.

What they all said. What's the big deal about freezing it anyhow? It's meat, we all freeze meat. Been doin that for at least as long as my lifetime. I eat meat and fish that has been frozen for over a year in a reg fridge/freezer. Much to the dismay of a few, I'm still alive. :becky:

I tried rushing the thaw on a turkey a couple of weekends ago, with poor results.

On a Weds, My wife asked if we could smoke a turkey the following weekend for a meal with her family. I asked if she thought it would be thawed in time, to which she said it would be, so I dug it out of the deep freeze and threw it in the fridge. The night before the smoke, I pulled it our to check on it, and it needed some help. I unwrapped it, rinsed it, emptied the giblets and neck out, and got all of the ice out so water would run through it. It was still pretty tight, but I injected it as best I could and covered it to get back into the fridge.

The next morning it was in OK shape, so I spatchcocked it and got it ready to smoke for later that marning, and put it back into the fridge. It loosened up good by the time I had the smoke up to temp, so I put it on. IT TOOK FOREVER. At mealtime I was forced to do something, so I pulled off the legs, thighs and wings and put them into the microwave for 10 minutes. I hated to do it but my wife's parents weren't going to wait and my wife was breathing down my neck to get something done. We all ate sub-par turkey while I left the rest on there to finish. It took almost double what my previous turkeys had taken, but, when it was done it was good.

Moral of the story: Give your frozen food plenty of time to thaw.

Back