The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Taking my chances with Walmart Select Brisket (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273811)

frayedend 07-11-2019 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle (Post 4204164)
I'm just a backyard guy, so definitely not a brisket expert, but I have noticed a difference between grades. The selects that I've done have generally turned out dry, whereas choice and prime are usually pleasantly juicy. This is cooking to probe tenderness, pit temp around 250F, with no wrap.

I wrapped with foil for the select. I figure I want to keep as much moisture in as possible. If I have choice I use paper.

kevinstaggs 07-11-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frayedend (Post 4204171)
I had seen choice brisket in this Walmart just a few weeks prior. That was the reason I stopped to look. All they had was Select the last few weeks.

It may just be my bias, but my experience is that Wally Mart selects are some how “less than select.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

frayedend 07-11-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinstaggs (Post 4204175)
It may just be my bias, but my experience is that Wally Mart selects are some how “less than select.”

They'd be in big trouble if that were true. Can't legally grade meat that isn't USDA inspected.

arclite 07-11-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frayedend (Post 4204292)
They'd be in big trouble if that were true. Can't legally grade meat that isn't USDA inspected.

True, but there is a lot of variance within USDA grades.

I recently bought Costco choice NY strips that were darn close to prime in marbling and sinfully delicious.*Conversely, I bought a cryovac of choice grade tri tips from Rest. Depot last year that had very little marbling (even for a tri tip) and if not cooked right were tough to chew with a liver aftertaste.

upStomp 07-11-2019 02:42 PM

Thanks for the reminder, Jim. You're now going to have a bit more competition snaring up those rt 117 Wally World briskets. I completely forgot they stock them.

:mrgreen:

SmittyJonz 07-11-2019 04:55 PM

Think some of y’all don’t Understand How Beef is Graded.........

16Adams 07-11-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmittyJonz (Post 4204345)

THE University Of Texas (That’s Texas A&M Aggies NOT TU- the people in orange) has an excellent article on grading beef and yields.

https://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading/

kevinstaggs 07-11-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frayedend (Post 4204292)

I agree they are properly graded and inspected. My point is that there’s considerable latitude in the process and that IMO Walmart meat is nothing to right home about, grade aside.

I can feed two animals out two different ways and they both might grade the same but not taste the same.

Just a little anti Wally Mart rant from me.

16Adams 07-12-2019 05:19 AM

Walmart has entered agreement with premier producers and processors. I don’t go to Walmart like I once did preferring United-United Amigos,Sam’s And Fiesta Foods. Still happen in there occasionally but no longer first pick. Nor 2nd. But that may change

https://www.agweb.com/mobile/article...-supply-chain/

frayedend 07-12-2019 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upStomp (Post 4204307)
Thanks for the reminder, Jim. You're now going to have a bit more competition snaring up those rt 117 Wally World briskets. I completely forgot they stock them.

:mrgreen:

LOL I found them in Hudson and Gardner so far. :)

frayedend 07-12-2019 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmittyJonz (Post 4204345)

I don't know a lot about it. IIRC I thought they grade the entire cow or the side or something like that and so you can have a lot of variation in the cuts. I don't really remember. But I know there is a lot of variation. When I buy Choice steaks I look for great marbling and usually I find something that is closer to prime. It's not as easy with an huge packer brisket but I've been lucky so far.

Tannhauser42 07-12-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frayedend (Post 4204171)
I had seen choice brisket in this Walmart just a few weeks prior. That was the reason I stopped to look. All they had was Select the last few weeks.

The Walmart in my area tends to be about 50/50 if you root around in the bin full of briskets, and they're all priced the same whether Select or Choice.

Dom Mazzetti 07-12-2019 11:56 AM

i'm about to do a 15 lb brisket from walmart. went to three different cotsco's and they didnt have any packers. we will see how it goes.

Texan79423 07-12-2019 12:51 PM

I cooked select for years as that is all I thought I could afford. If you baby them along cooking you can get a good brisket. Then It dawned on me that for maybe $5-6 more you can get a better choice brisket.

If you going to spend 8-12 hours smoking one go ahead and pop for the choice. However don't let in take away from you buying/drinking beer.

Ron_L 07-12-2019 01:20 PM

One thing to keep in mind...

The carcass is graded based on a sample taken from the ribeye primal, not the brisket, so, a brisket from a select carcass could be 'better' than one from a prime carcass. I just depends on the cow and the marbling.

Yes, you have a better shot at getting a better brisket from prime or even choice, but you just can't go by the grading alone.