My first brisket on my GMG

herepiggypiggy

Reaction score
Looking for any tips on my first brisket. I have done almost every part of a pig. Now moving up to brisket, if any one can share smoke temps. times, resting techniques. Thanks

In general, cook it on the grate until the bark is the color that you like and then wrap (foil or butcher paper) and continue cooking until the thickest part of the flat is tender.

For a pellet smoker you can start it at a lower temp to try to get more smoke on it. I used to run my FEC-100 at 200 for the first couple of hours and then take it up to 240, and if I remember correctly my briskets took about 75-90 minutes per pound doing that. But, you can also get great results just running it 250-ish the whole time and you will reduce the total time, probably closer to 60 minutes per pound.

As far as rest, give yourself time for a two hour rest in a cooler or wrapped in towels. That will also give you a buffer in case the cook takes longer.

Finally, go through at least the first post of this thread...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

Looking at getting a small brisket to get my feet wet maybe 4-6 lbs. Looking for any tips on smoking temps. I plan to wrap it in butcher paper. Thanks

4-6 pounds is either point only or flat only. Very different advice. Which GMG cooker do you have?

The flat is definitely the most difficult part to cook...
You'd probably be better off getting a whole brisket. Then you'd get to trim it and if the flat isn't good you'll still have the delicious point to enjoy. :grin:
Anyhow, just one guy's opinion. Good luck either way.

Back