The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bagels??? **Split form filet mignon ** (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15050)

brdbbq 12-30-2005 01:32 PM

Never grilled Bagels but would like to know how to make them, Bagels down here Blow compared to NY.

LDOJYD 12-30-2005 01:50 PM

Seth, never thought of that...I will give her a shot and let you know. I do agree with the crusting......Bob

Smoker 12-30-2005 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grillnputt
I'm making bagels from scratch Sun morning. But that's another thread. (not grilling those! But if you ever have, let me know!) :)

Man there is nothing like a fresh bagel when it comes right out of the oven. I luv the garlic bagel or the egg everything bagel. Your the first person I ever heard making his own bagels here on Long Island. I just stand in line at the bagel store in Merrick usually and get me a few. In fact the motto for Long Island could be "We do bagels right"

Side note... When I was up at highland this summer for the cookoff, there was a free breakfast for the teams. It was bagels and coffee. I watched a team from somewhere down south stare at the bagels. The looks on their face was pretty much "What we supposed to do with them things". It was priceless.

racer_81 12-30-2005 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brdbbq
Never grilled Bagels but would like to know how to make them, Bagels down here Blow compared to NY.

Yeah.

Do you grill them flat side up or flat side down?

:shock:

BrooklynQ 12-30-2005 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grillnputt
I'm making bagels from scratch Sun morning. But that's another thread. (not grilling those! But if you ever have, let me know!) :)

Do you boil your bagels before you bake them?

Smoker 12-30-2005 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
Do you boil your bagels before you bake them?

par boiling bagels.....oh the humanity. Whats next....boiling ribs?????

BrooklynQ 12-30-2005 09:53 PM

Sorry Smoker - in the case of bagels, it's an essential step.

RichardF 12-30-2005 10:25 PM

Boiling is one of the key steps in getting an authentic New York bagel. It's what makes them crusty on the outside. Lesser bagels are steamed while baked, which while more cost effective, makes an inferior bagel. Of equal importance to the boiling step, is the source of the yeast, and to some extent the water.

JohnMcD348 12-30-2005 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardF
Boiling is one of the key steps in getting an authentic New York bagel. It's what makes them crusty on the outside. Lesser bagels are steamed while baked, which while more cost effective, makes an inferior bagel. Of equal importance to the boiling step, is the source of the yeast, and to some extent the water.

I've heard a similar discussion a few years ago about Bagels and it was speculated that the water did have a very important part to play in the flavor of a Bagel. It was speculated that the pollution in Jersey was the key to a good Bagel.
But what do I know, I'm from Florida.

JTMcD

racer_81 12-30-2005 11:37 PM

In college, back when HBO first came out, we'd watch all the little specials.

One was called "Bagels, bagels, bagels". It showed how bagels were made in New York. And yes, they were boiled before baking.

And then there was this exercise special.....one female...exercising rather (or so we thought) seductively to music. I forget the name of that one.....

RichardF 12-31-2005 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMcD348
I've heard a similar discussion a few years ago about Bagels and it was speculated that the water did have a very important part to play in the flavor of a Bagel. It was speculated that the pollution in Jersey was the key to a good Bagel.
But what do I know, I'm from Florida.

JTMcD

Historically, NYC had some of the best water in the country for both taste and quality. Unfortunately, with the rapid growth in the Catskills, and no go watershed protection plan, the water quality is sure to degrade.

Sawdustguy 12-31-2005 02:17 AM

I know of some very good bagel shops in Northern New Jersey too.

Sledneck 12-31-2005 04:45 AM

Hey sawdust according to the following link it was the polish royalty that started the bagel: http://www.kitchenproject.com/history/bagels/bagels.htm

LostNation 12-31-2005 04:47 AM

We have some really good bagel shops up here in Vermont. The shop owners come down from Montreal. There is a lot of ethnic food from across the border.

Qczar 12-31-2005 06:54 AM

Yes the boiling proccess is esential to a great bagel. The trick is how it was 'crusted'? Baked? Twice baked? I think some even deep fry? Some bagel shops now melt and brown different cheese`s on the tops and let them bake into the dough. Yeah, they`re bind blowing.

Bagels is like pizza in the tri-state area. You live here long enough, nowhere else will is a consideration when it comes to these two tasty meals.

Funny thing. I`ve been making pizza for a long time. Sometimes I make my own dough, and sometimes I buy the dough from a pizzarrea. I`ve even made a breakfest pie before. Easy on the cheese and halway thru crack 8 eggs around the pie and sprinkle pre cooked bacon/sausage and finish cooking. Strange part is I can not find a bagel shop to sell me some bagel dough for the pizza. they all ask, what are you going to do with it? Then say no we can`t sell it to you.

I think that dough would make a good pizza regardless of whats on it.