The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

ComputerMike 09-29-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickyBobby (Post 748137)
First post! I've got three drums with the tan liner in them. I burned two of them for 5 hours filled 1/3 of the way elm. They burned HOT for a solid 5 hours. Paint on the outside turned to pink powder, inside I have patches of bare metal with patches of what looks like remaining carbonized tan liner.

So my question is, should I take it ALL off on the inside, right down to bare metal? I can't seem to get the black patches off, wire wheel isn't doing much.

Are the patches neart the top or bottom?

I had to burn my barrel twice. The first burn built up ash too fast and the bottom 1/3 wasn't hot enough. On the second burn I dumped a couple of chimneys of briquettes and just let it burn for a long time before adding longer cnunks of wood and working up the barrel.

A weed burner might help as well. I was tempted to leave some patches as getting the last bits out with a wire wheel SUCKED but I didn't want to risk anything toxic in the barrel.

Stick with it and take it down to bare metal.

Mike

Rookie'48 09-29-2008 10:01 PM

I had the same prob with that lining. I burned it out three times, tried the wire wheel, then broke down & got my oldest boy to sand blast that puppy :biggrin:.

RickyBobby 09-30-2008 09:05 AM

Patches are in the top, some on bottom. I just called a fellow who does sandblasting, he figures about $20 or so will get it nice and shiny. We'll see how the sandblasting works on the raw coating as well. I couldn't get it burned off the lids at all.

Thanks to Rookie48 for the sandblasting tip.

Mo-Dave 09-30-2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComputerMike (Post 744969)
What you want is called a fan bus. Its used by computer geeks to manually control different and multiple fans within the computer case.

or google: computer fan bus

:idea: What about just using a ball valve or a gate valve to adjust the amount of air flow, either in front or behind the fan, that is what the guru does. The fan is not a variable speed unit and is only adjusted by the flap after the fan, thus altering the air flow. Of course the hard part would be fabricating some kind of box to mount all this.
Dave

garyk1398 09-30-2008 03:49 PM

Straight to the horse's mouth...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 670192)
Magnets have been working great for quite a few. Check WHL3 post.

I'm on page 80-something and saw many of your threads on the how-to builds. Call me dumb but I can't seem to figure out a couple of things;
1. If I want to build my UDS with 2 racks to hold meat, does your tutorial have that? Even if I'm keeping the original lid (no 22" Weber kettle add on).
2. Can I effectively have 2 racks for a 55 gal drum?
3. Do you and the others recommend drilling before burning?

Thanks

ON THE FARM 09-30-2008 04:01 PM

Only one rack will work if you are useing the flat lid.
If you want 2 racks you will need a domed lid or make a lid from another drum (i did).
If you are going to burn, YES drill the bottom holes first, you will need to get the air down to the bottom of the drum.

N8man 09-30-2008 04:05 PM

Using a Donor Drum I extended my DrumPit and now have 3 racks.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/pi...&pictureid=569

garyk1398 09-30-2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8man (Post 748846)
Using a Donor Drum I extended my DrumPit and now have 3 racks.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/pi...&pictureid=569

N8man, I don't have a welder and don't think I want to try something that ambitious! I've never built one before but, I'm gonna give it a try with all the info here...i figure i can't screw it up too badly:icon_smil Pat, from Des Moines showed me his at a recent comp and now...I must make one ASAP. For a first timer, do ya recommend building one with just one rack or tryin to find a dome that will fit it? I've been watchin for 22" domes around CL and local sales but no luck yet. Can I buy a new replacement Weber for it, from Weber? Thanks for all your help.

ON THE FARM 09-30-2008 04:30 PM

Make it with one rack and the flat lid, the 2nd rack can always be added when you find a domed lid.

N8man 09-30-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyk1398 (Post 748867)
N8man, I don't have a welder and don't think I want to try something that ambitious! I've never built one before but, I'm gonna give it a try with all the info here...i figure i can't screw it up too badly:icon_smil Pat, from Des Moines showed me his at a recent comp and now...I must make one ASAP. For a first timer, do ya recommend building one with just one rack or tryin to find a dome that will fit it? I've been watchin for 22" domes around CL and local sales but no luck yet. Can I buy a new replacement Weber for it, from Weber? Thanks for all your help.

Mine is no weld....just bolts, a lid clamp and wood stove gasket. I cut the donor drum with a hacksaw and a jigsaw. Easy, simple to do.:-D

Zachbbq 09-30-2008 04:55 PM

on the lid we noticed there was a rubber gasket do we burn that off 2

jrichter52 09-30-2008 05:21 PM

Can I buy a new replacement Weber for it, from Weber?

Yes You Can
I also got a rotissery option and was able to put a screen in it

http://images.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0000190-prod.jpg

jrichter52 09-30-2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zachbbq (Post 748891)
on the lid we noticed there was a rubber gasket do we burn that off 2

Pull the gasget
Burn / Wipe out the remaining glue

schoonch 09-30-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyk1398 (Post 748867)

GaryK1398,

I have rescued 4 weber grills for free from the trash and spent 5 bucks on a mint one-touch gold at a garage sale. They're out there if you are patient. My last one was free from a friend who had a cabana at a beach club (end of the season, she grabbed one that was left behind). Any colleges near you? May is a great time to find them at the trash when the students move out. Christmas and father's day are great times to hunt too --lots of people get new grills then. I would wait and get a freebe before I would buy a new replacement from Weber. You can still fit a lot on the single rack with the flat lid until you find a cheap or free Weber lid.

garyk1398 10-01-2008 07:19 PM

in the works

1 Attachment(s)
:-PAll you UDS farkers got me going and I finally got down to buying and building...I'll keep ya posted but here is my first pic of the unlined 55 gal I picked up! Do ya think that's enough pallets to burn with:?: