The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   LSG offset briskets in Foil, Paper, Naked on hot and fast (for real this time.) (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273801)

Baby Back Maniac 07-09-2019 06:23 PM

LSG offset briskets in Foil, Paper, Naked on hot and fast (for real this time.)

Sorry if you are seeing this twice. I uploaded this last week but Youtube had some sort of glitch where it never finished processing the video. I waited 6 hours and then gave up so I decided to try again today. No problems at all. Youtube is weird.

First off, this was an incredibly fun day. Hanging out and smoking briskets with my bbq buddies. You can't beat it.

The plan for the video was to cook 3 briskets side by side hot and fast on the LSG offset and see if they responded better to paper, foil, or being unwrapped.

Spoiler alert. Everything came together and all 3 were killer. Seriously, the "worst" one was probably still in my top 10 all time. That said, they did turn out differently as you'd expect.

FWIW, the slicing scene at the end turned out kinda cool. It makes me hungry every time I watch it. Even if you aren't a "video guy" you might peak over for that.

https://youtu.be/wYwKhMuvUHU

BKING! 07-09-2019 06:56 PM

As always awesome vids! I enjoy all of them.

Mattb82 07-09-2019 07:14 PM

Awesome vid!

Baby Back Maniac 07-09-2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BKING! (Post 4203724)
As always awesome vids! I enjoy all of them.

Thank you, BKING!. I really appreciate it.

Baby Back Maniac 07-09-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattb82 (Post 4203729)
Awesome vid!

Thanks Matt. We had a blast making it. It was a fun day.

The Wookiee 07-09-2019 09:05 PM

Carnasciously fleshtastic!!! LSGs love briskets...

Huskres 07-09-2019 09:24 PM

Nice video. I expected the butcher paper one to be the best. Off topic I know quite awhile back you said you were going to head up to Tulsa but got sick. Any plans to make that trip?

Baby Back Maniac 07-09-2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskres (Post 4203768)
Nice video. I expected the butcher paper one to be the best. Off topic I know quite awhile back you said you were going to head up to Tulsa but got sick. Any plans to make that trip?

No concrete plans yet but my cousin is moving there now so there is one more reason to go at some point.

KB BBQ 07-09-2019 10:44 PM

Thanks for another great video Justin! Always good to see you guys together. I wondered why beef broth was used in the foil wrap because you really can't do that with the paper wrapped or naked brisket to keep everything consistent. I don't think it really threw off much in your experiment though. Keep up the good work.

Huskres 07-09-2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Back Maniac (Post 4203786)
No concrete plans yet but my cousin is moving there now so there is one more reason to go at some point.

You definitely need to visit and hit up Burnco, Macs bbq and Buffalo Bbq(Donny Teel). Then hit up the Hasty Bake store.

Monkey Uncle 07-10-2019 06:18 AM

It would have been interesting to compare those three to a low-and-slow naked brisket. Based on the descriptions at the end, although all three were good, it sounds like both of your friends would have preferred a traditional low and slow.

I guess the take-home message is if you don't have time for low and slow, wrapping in paper is the best way to go for hot and fast.

m-fine 07-10-2019 06:29 AM

Where did you find all that quiet, uneventful weather? I generally prefer the videos with hail and twisters, but this one was nice for a change of pace.

One of the things I have been unable to escape is that a stick burning offset makes much better brisket. I would love to be able to get the same results with a more hands off cooker, but IME you only get close.

Something else I have found Troy hints at. Hot and fast is a compromise. You made three very good briskets, but the naked one would have had a better (less bitter/overdone) bark if you knocked 25-50 degrees off the cooking temp and aimed more for 275 ish. Likewise, the paper wrapped would have a thicker more developed bark if you slowed down a bit and waited longer to wrap. Often a longer cook, longer hold just doesn’t fit the schedule, but whenever I cook them fast, I always feel I came up a bit short of what I could have achieved.

Great video, keep ‘em coming.

lastmajordude 07-10-2019 07:36 AM

great videos, great fellas

KClandcruiser 07-10-2019 08:16 AM

Another great video!

Devin 07-10-2019 09:56 AM

Great video, I also like seeing the comparisons between different methods/styles