The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Building my own (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29936)

Browser 07-30-2007 08:53 PM

Building my own

Hi, just joined your excellent forum after looking for inspiration on the 'net, and finding it! I have laboured under the delusion for years, as most in England and apparrently Australia do, that our habit of turning perfectly good meat into cinders come summer is actually barbecueing. I wish to redress this by building a smoker and learning the secrets.:-D
I've 'obtained' two old propane cylinders, one about 5ft long the other about 2.5 ft, both 20" diameter, to use as the cooking chamber and firebox. I am also lucky enough to work somewhere where they threw out (yes threw out, idiots!) 10 perfectly good 900x600x3mm sheets of 304L stainless steel, as well as several lengths of thick-walled 1" square tube. Now, I only intend this to be for backyard use so it won't be built onto a trailer but it'll hopefully fit into my utility trailer which I use to lug all sorts of stuff about.
Anyway, I've already picked up some invaluable information about baffles and tuning plates. My thinking is to mount the firebox cylinder vertically and make it in such a way as it has a removable lid so I can use it as a chargriller if I want to (this may be subject to change). This will allow me to install a big enough stainless steel firebasket to provide sufficient heat for the cooker. Knowing what I've only recently learned I'll be adding a baffle and tuning plates, as well as a well-sealing air inlet on the firebox and an exhaust damper in the stack. The doors will have rope seals and temperature gauges.
I've looked at a schematic of the various layouts of smokers and wanted to ask opinions on standard flow (one end to t'other) versus reverse flow, since I'm in a position to make it either at this stage. Is one inherently better than the other or are they about the same?
Since I've got all this stainless kicking about I was thinking of adding an extra vertical smoke chamber in the exhaust path as I've seen some commercially-produced designs have, are these there for lower temperature smoking or just to maximise heat use and smoking capacity?
Sorry this i sa lot of questions but I want to try and get it right first time if I can:redface: :grin:

Westexbbq 07-30-2007 09:02 PM

Browser,
Welcome to the forum, but check in at Cattle Call if you haven't already to introduce yourself officially.
There are a lot of nice folks here and many who are more knowledgeable than I about your pit building; I am sure you will get all the answers you need.
Good luck and keep up the good work.
W

Norcoredneck 07-30-2007 09:26 PM

I have links at work i have collected about pit building. I will send them to you if you want. Let me know.

Captain Caveman 07-31-2007 07:33 AM

As far as offsets go, I like reverse flow better personally. Also, grease management is important to make sure you don't have grease fires.

Harbormaster 07-31-2007 08:18 AM

I'm with the Caveman here. I f I was building a pit from scratch I'd go reverse flow, and maybe reposition the firebox compared to "standard" offset configurations. Also, from what I have read here (recent post by Jacob) the additional vertical chamber runs about 100 degrees F cooler than the main chamber. I have a pit like this that I haven't cooked on yet and there is no thermo in that chamber, so I'll see how it goes when I do try it.
Let us know how and what you do.
Pics, pics, pics.

Browser 07-31-2007 10:24 AM

Thanks for the replies gents, I was kinda-sorta leaning the reverse flow way as it seems (from looking at it) to make sense from a retaining heat point of view. I think I will try and incorporate an exhaust smokebox, since I'm scratchbuilding, just to see what I can do with it:-D .

Bossmanbbq 07-31-2007 11:12 AM

Welcome, sounds like you are living the dream with all that material available to you. Good luck with your build, remeber to post pic's for us so we can live the dream with you...

Bentley 07-31-2007 11:28 AM

Welcome, and good luck, lot of fabricators here to give you advice...Now enough of that Metric stuff and don't thrown in any "Stones" either! Just kidding, I am like 24 stones sounds better than my scale!

Browser 08-06-2007 01:26 PM

Just thought I'd share a quick pic of the raw materials.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/PICT0002.jpg

And

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/PICT0003.jpg

Sorry that one's blurred. That, by the way, is a 600mm x 1000mmm sheet of 2.5mm thick 304l stainless steel, found, with 9 others, in a skip at work!:eek: Honetsly, the sheer waste of industry in this country makes me want to weep sometimes:mad: Ah well, if they hadn't binned it I wouldn't have it would I?:biggrin:
I've spotted another small gas cylinder on my travels which I may appropriate to make a second, exhaust-stack smoke chamber:-D

Bentley 08-06-2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Browser (Post 439912)
Just thought I'd share a quick pic of the raw materials.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/PICT0002.jpg

And

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/PICT0003.jpg

Sorry that one's blurred. That, by the way, is a 600mm x 1000mmm sheet of 2.5mm thick 304l stainless steel, found, with 9 others, in a skip at work!:eek: Honetsly, the sheer waste of industry in this country makes me want to weep sometimes:mad: Ah well, if they hadn't binned it I wouldn't have it would I?:biggrin:
I've spotted another small gas cylinder on my travels which I may appropriate to make a second, exhaust-stack smoke chamber:-D

So these tanks had explosive gas in them? You are going to cut into them? Please be very careful, and if you have never done it get some help!

Browser 08-06-2007 03:59 PM

Those tanks had flammable gas in them, which onyl makes it worse, I know. Please rest assured they'll be water/soap purged before any cutting takes place, and I'll probably cut with a power hacksaw to boot to minimise any chance of sparks. Thanks for the concern though.

CarbonToe 09-04-2007 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Browser (Post 436774)
I wish to redress this by building a smoker and learning the secrets.:-D

Browser, I'm interested in how your project goes, please post loads of piccies!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 436802)
I have links at work i have collected about pit building. I will send them to you if you want. Let me know.

I don't suppose you could PM me those links as well? Thanks

Browser 09-04-2007 12:52 PM

I've PM'd you with the links Norcoredneck sent me (thanks again Norco:-D ) but still can't make up my mind whether to go all out for an offset or build a UDS as I get the impresion UDSs can do a whole smoke on one load of charcoal whereas offsets need re-stoking about evry 4 hours. Plus which I can't see myself doing the kind of quantities you can fit in an offset so don't know whether I'll really need one that big. Are you thinking of building one?

LMAJ 09-04-2007 06:13 PM

Welcome Browser - you definately belong here - you see stuff and wonder how it will fit into your smoker!
You have come to the right place for information. I have never met a better bunch to share information and provide feedback and support as those you will find here. Good luck in you build, and as others have said - keep the pics coming.

txschutte 09-04-2007 09:39 PM

Good luck Browser! I have started another (yes, another) biuld for an offset with reverse flow. I, like you, get raw mat'l from the iron bins and scrap piles a work. I have started the current build with a 125 gal. water tank (about 300 liters) off an old cement mixer truck.