The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

craig chamberlain 04-29-2009 07:37 AM

Thanks Jeff for the link, I guess I'm going blind because I still can't find a "22" Replacement grate from Academy - $5.99"
Craig

craig chamberlain 04-29-2009 07:44 AM

Jeff, I looked a little closer at the web site and they don't offer online shopping so that link won't do me any good but thanks anyway.

jtwisted13 04-29-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig chamberlain (Post 913418)
Jeff, I looked a little closer at the web site and they don't offer online shopping so that link won't do me any good but thanks anyway.

you might have to go to mountain grove... of course you know there is an ace and browns hardware..

or you may have to either build the racks yourself or get someone to build them for you.. thats what i have to do as i cant find the replacement racks here either. our home depot doesnt carry them nor does any place else without paying $40 because it is special order.

seattlepitboss 04-29-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTank70 (Post 912842)
The one thing that seems to differ most about UDS's is the Charcoal baskets.
I have a few Q's on this.

In your experience, is taller & less diameter better or shorter and more diameter?

Is 7 3/4" deep enough for a charcoal basket?

I have a piece of 3/4 expanded metal grating that is 24" x 31".

I can cut it into four 7.75" by 24" pieces and have enough for two baskets 15" in diameter.

I would like to try to get at least 2 baskets out of what I have, but how would you do it?

Thanks

Well, baskets work a lot better if they have a bottom. If you butt-joined your 4 7.75x24" strips pairwise you would get two 7.75" x 48" strips from which you could roll two 7.75x15-1/4" rings, but that doesn't get you basket bottoms.

I know it's obvious, but it had to be said .. :-)

seattlepitboss

Barbarian 04-29-2009 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Jtank,
you can use the charcoal grate from a Weber or buy one for a Weber at HD. Then do this. Mine is 8" tall and the grate is 3" above the bottom. Holds plenty of charcoal.

craig chamberlain 04-29-2009 11:55 AM

Yea Jeff I'm only about 25 miles from Mountain Grove and I've been to Ace hardware, but I'm trying to find some for under $15.
I'm kind of cheap, if I have to pay that much so be it, but I'm just seeing if I can get a better deal.
I'm thinking about making some UBS's and selling them and I wanted to get the lowest price I can so I don't have to charge so much when I go to sell them.
If I can't get a better deal then I'll get them and just pass the cost on when and if I sell any of them.

garyk1398 04-29-2009 12:28 PM

I noticed a small pool of water in the inside of the drum today, guessing left over condensation from the last smoke. Anyone ever consider putting a plug in the bottom (keep this clean), later draining out water (to save it from rusting)?

gbh52 04-29-2009 02:24 PM

Just about have all the component ready to go for my first build. Pick up the drum on Friday hope to have it done but EOD Sunday. So far my total cost is $0.00! Freebies and stuff laying around and a gift cert for the thermo. Looks like I have to spend a few bucks to cut the 1" intake holes. Question for the brothers, do the hole saws do a decent job, or should I spend the bucks for a step drill? Does this offically count on the cost of the smoker?

jazzspot 04-29-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbh52 (Post 913687)
Question for the brothers, do the hole saws do a decent job, or should I spend the bucks for a step drill?

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, the step drill bits are cheaper there than anywhere else I've found.

JTank70 04-29-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 913546)
Hey Jtank,
you can use the charcoal grate from a Weber or buy one for a Weber at HD. Then do this. Mine is 8" tall and the grate is 3" above the bottom. Holds plenty of charcoal.

Thanks guys, I was intending to use a webber coal grate but forgot to mention that small, impotant bit of info:oops:

Barbarian, Is the overall height of the complete assembly in your pic 8" tall or is just the expanded metal part 8" tall. Also what is the diameter. Thanks bro

sbramm 04-29-2009 03:31 PM

hey, has anyone thought of or ever used a smokey joe for the charcoal "basket" in a uds? it may work for shorter cooks that don't require a huge amount of charcoal. any thoughts? i may just spend the $20 and give it a try unless there is a compelling reason that this would be a mistake....

cheers,

scott

sfbbqguy 04-29-2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbramm (Post 913764)
hey, has anyone thought of or ever used a smokey joe for the charcoal "basket" in a uds? it may work for shorter cooks that don't require a huge amount of charcoal. any thoughts? i may just spend the $20 and give it a try unless there is a compelling reason that this would be a mistake....

cheers,

scott

Sounds like it might work but may not get enough air...not sure.

Some guys make a smaller ring out of expaned metal that fits into the bigger charcoal basket for shorter cooks.

sfbbqguy 04-29-2009 03:53 PM

Oh yeah and as we approach 3000 here look out for extraneous postings from guys that live in Pacific Northwest!!
Although it's typically great info.

craig chamberlain 04-29-2009 05:41 PM

Paint

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I don't have the time to read all the posts tonight.
I have someone in a body shop who is willing to give me some 55 gal. drums free that had car paint in them, my question is can I burn out the paint and will it be safe enough for smoking?
If I want the drums I have to get them tomorrow morning, the price is right but it's a matter of is it safe.
I'm thinking it is but would like to hear from someone who knows more about it.
thanks

Weiser 04-29-2009 09:36 PM

Go For It!

Craig, I'd jump on those faster than I would the so called "food grade" drums.
Much easier to burn out and remember, anything above 250°
for an extended period of time will kill any residue left.

Others will disagree...

Weiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig chamberlain (Post 913828)
I'm sure this question has been asked before but I don't have the time to read all the posts tonight.
I have someone in a body shop who is willing to give me some 55 gal. drums free that had car paint in them, my question is can I burn out the paint and will it be safe enough for smoking?
If I want the drums I have to get them tomorrow morning, the price is right but it's a matter of is it safe.
I'm thinking it is but would like to hear from someone who knows more about it.
thanks