Looking for a little help

parrdist

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Got my UDS loaded with 40 lbs of butt setting at 160 right now . I was going to foil but I'm not happy with the bark. What say you will I be able to foil at a higher temp?

I've never foiled a butt before and they have all turned out tasty.

Skip the foil, when the bone is able to pull out, it's done. You'll thank me later.

Why foil in the first place??????

Betty004.jpg

old school, I'm hoping for something that looks as good as yours.

How much time do you have? Foiling will speed things up. But, if you are not in a hurry, you will get better bark without the foil, IMO, but cook time will be longer.

Keep us posted.

I got all night. I got lots of beer. Wife went to bed. I'm in for the long haul.

Setting at 164 now.

I'm up too for at least 3 or 4 more hours. I gotta try to stay up all night (east coast time) so i can sleep all day and then go work an overnight shift at the hospital for the next two nights. I absolutely HATE having to switch between shifts so frequently, but it does get me acquainted with some cool bbq people online :)

Dude, you worry too much. Butts are very forgiving. Go to bed. Gert up in two hours. If the bone wants to wiggle out when tugged on, it's done. At this point, you really don't give two chits if the thing is in the stall or not, you just wanna know when it's done.

I'm sober as a Judge. LOL I'm going to be up for awhile yet. The smoke smell Delicious.

I'm sober as a Judge.

MMM-Hmmm.

Sweet Miss Becky Janssen said that when I was a tenth grader. Since then, she has denied any knowledge of our late night, alcohol induced encounter.

She didn't know her way around meat, either.

Back