The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Displaced Texan 03-25-2015 07:39 AM

I used a deep fryer turkey thermometer... long probe and correct temp range. I used some small brass compression fittings to mount it to the drum.

Something like this: http://amzn.com/B00SKO7BWI

wdpope1 03-25-2015 07:35 PM

thanks ebijack but I found that I need to clean fire basket between cooks found a burnt chunk of goo which caused bad burn
smoked 2 Butts ( 15 1/2 pounds)all night and temp held 220 233 all night checking hourly intill temp of 203 foiled smaller of the 2 put in cooler covered with cotton towels, larger one took another 1 1/2 hrs to get to 205 put in cooler for 3 hours shredded sauced, lasted an hour at party people didnt even use buns was just piling on plate and I thought I was going to have some for lunch that week

ebijack 03-26-2015 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdpope1 (Post 3199701)
thanks ebijack but I found that I need to clean fire basket between cooks found a burnt chunk of goo which caused bad burn

I clean my baskets and drums before each cook, add fresh coals to the basket, wood then any left over coals and more wood. I don't like using lump due to finding way to many objects that should not be in there in every brand I have tried. The last bag of RO I had I found wall insulation pieces and a couple of rocks/hard objects in the bag.
Just to be noted in this long UDS build thread:
I am able to swap my flat/dome lids between both drums during cooks. Something I haven't been able to figure out is why the dome lid requires a bit more intake to reach the same temp as the flat lid. I would think the dome lid should flow better.

wdpope1 03-26-2015 07:36 PM

making butt pron sat night cousin and family coming up from Tenn
his mom has bragged about it so now he wants to try some
now that i got my head on straight

Bbqallday 04-12-2015 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan (Post 3154986)
Attachment 107082
Finished my 1st. build today. Excited to get this thing smoking.

Hey Nathan is that a blue paint on there? Where did you get the paint from?

Clay-b-que 04-12-2015 10:05 PM

Built a UDS. Got a river county thermometer 4" version. Now I know why you DO NOT want a long probe. It makes it very difficult to get the basket out!!! Just an FYI for those of you who are as intelligent as I am.

wdpope1 04-19-2015 06:18 PM

cousin and family eat 17 pds of smoked butt in less than 24 hrs they were very happy and so was my aunt
got to remember how to insert pic

wdpope1 04-19-2015 06:19 PM

before I forget you al got to try smokin a chuck roast it was awsome

Razor800 04-29-2015 08:25 PM

First post, be gentle. Often read that the hardest part of building a UDS is finding a barrel. I found this to be an honest assessment, however after months of searching, I found one. **Pause to let the applause die down** To my dismay it has a red liner. I have always loved everything Baskin Robbins, except inexpensive barrels from them. My plan is to propane weed torch it. Will that work? Follow up plan is Comet and elbow grease. As a noob, am I on the right track?

gaspipe1 04-29-2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor800 (Post 3227937)
First post, be gentle. Often read that the hardest part of building a UDS is finding a barrel. I found this to be an honest assessment, however after months of searching, I found one. **Pause to let the applause die down** To my dismay it has a red liner. I have always loved everything Baskin Robbins, except inexpensive barrels from them. My plan is to propane weed torch it. Will that work? Follow up plan is Comet and elbow grease. As a noob, am I on the right track?

I never had to deal with the red liner, but be glad you noticed it. From what I read from the farkers here, you need to start a barn fire. I think the magic number was 3 wooden pallets. Drill the vent holes on the bottom since you will need air. I hear some guys used a leaf blower to feed it more air.

In my opinion, It's easier to start a fire and drink a beer rather than stick my head in a drum w/ a weed burner. Good luck and I know you will love it once it's all said and done with!

PS
My advice regarding vents/exhusts. Have 4 holes on the bottom. 3 of them the normal/smaller size 2 with caps and 1 with a valve. And one big one, i went to HD and looked for a metal hole cutter and threaded pipe w/cap to match. Then if you have a bung hole on the lid get like a 3" pipe to thread into that with a cap.

After all that I never had an issue running at any temp I needed.

LifeLongWNYer 04-30-2015 10:12 AM

Vent Size Clarification Request

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspipe1 (Post 3227952)
I Have 4 holes on the bottom. 3 of them the normal/smaller size 2 with caps and 1 with a valve.

The new guy from WNY here again..... so what is the "normal" size? I'm not sure the guy in my plumbing supply store would know what I'm talking about when I ask for the "UDS normal size vent".

Also help me with the math. It says "4 holes" Then "3 normal.... 2 with caps and 1 with a valve." I am guessing that 3 holes, with 2 of them with caps ans 1 of them with a valve is what was intended.

Thanks,

JBP

gaspipe1 04-30-2015 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeLongWNYer (Post 3228329)
The new guy from WNY here again..... so what is the "normal" size? I'm not sure the guy in my plumbing supply store would know what I'm talking about when I ask for the "UDS normal size vent".

Also help me with the math. It says "4 holes" Then "3 normal.... 2 with caps and 1 with a valve." I am guessing that 3 holes, with 2 of them with caps ans 1 of them with a valve is what was intended.

Thanks,

JBP

Read this..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

that should give you all the info you need. Like I said the only thing I did was do a larger hole in the back. I forget the size, perhaps 2". But when you goto HD see what pipe and caps they have, if it's 2.5" then do that, if it's 1 3/4 do that.

funugy 04-30-2015 11:31 AM

^^^ I used the same thread as a guide to build my UDS. For those of you that don't weld check out post #40 in the same thread, it shows that you can use conduit locknuts. I've been using them on mine since I built it a couple years ago and have no air leaks. I have had to re-tighten them a couple time is all.

LifeLongWNYer 04-30-2015 12:28 PM

Okay, thanks Gas Pipe. I'm still a little overwhelmed with the amount of posts/threads. Once I find something useful, and move on, it is hard to get back to the one that I thought was good. I now am bookmarking them and putting the bookmarks into named folders. Even search didn't work, it brought make TOO many posts.

Take care,

JBP

hb2474 05-11-2015 01:38 PM

PVC Valve

Has anybody tried using a PVC valve with a high pipe. Seems to me that it wouldn't be hot enough up there to melt it. Lot cheaper than metal ball valve.