The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Chicken question. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25239)

Bentley 03-19-2007 11:52 AM

Chicken question.

Frist let me say I have try to look at the rules and I think this is allowed, if not deleate it.

We are a competition team, my sister and mom came onboard about 4 years ago and my sister now cooks the chicken at contests. Having said that she and I ask for the Brethren's help. She ask me to post this. Bless her heart she is trying her best, and I just don't know what to tell her cuz chicken was right up there with brisket for me to overcome!

This is a ? mainly for the CBJ's, hope I am in the right area.

I quote "If you were judging this piece of chicken, would you think it was burned? Would you mark down on appearance because you thought it looked burned? Or maybe you don't think it is burned, just nicely done?

Thanks!"

I am sure this does not need to be said but I will anyway, be brutaly honest. I will say she is at least getting the skin crispy!

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1174254319

MoKanMeathead 03-19-2007 12:57 PM

I think the skin looks burnt and would mark it down accordingly.

WineMaster 03-19-2007 01:02 PM

Burnt Id eat it though!

Sawdustguy 03-19-2007 01:06 PM

I agree with Wayne. It is burned and would be marked down accordingly. I would also mark down for the skin not covering the piece completely.:wink: :biggrin:

FYI: For Yankee BBQ's edification, I was joking on the second sentance above.

Kirk 03-19-2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawdustguy
I would also mark down for the skin not covering the piece completely.

Never really thought about that. Must be tough to keep the skin from shrinking up much more than that if you're trying to get it crisp by finishing direct. I could see if you're not worried about that and just doing low and slow or doing them in a sauce bath at the end but what could you do otherwise, pin it down with toothpicks maybe?

YankeeBBQ 03-19-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

I would also mark down for the skin not covering the piece completely.

You would WHAT !!!!!!! I never heard that one before.

Mooner 03-19-2007 01:41 PM

I have had similar problems with chicken. There are a couple of things you can do. First, chicken is hard to smoke because the low temps make the skin rubbery. Second (and if your like me) you cant take your smoker up to 350 because I always have things like ribs and brisket on their also and that high of a temp would ruin both those. However, 350 is really where you have to cook chicken thighs with skin on to get the skin crispy. What I have done to eliminate this problem is to cook chicken thighs boneless and skinless. I have had some success in doing this and I really dont think it matters that much to have skin on or off. I trim the thighs to eveness then place a peice of rolled up bacon on the side where the bone was.kind of tuck the underside around the bacon and close with a toothpick. turn the thigh over now "skin side up" and lay a peice of fatty ham over the thigh. This will take the place of the actual skin and keep the top moist plus it adds a lot of flavor. Now you can cook the thighs at 230-250 withoiut risking the rest of your meat. Plus when they are done remove the ham and bacon and the peice will have a nice shape (kind of like a mini hot pocket) The last 45 minutes you can also remove the ham peice and start glazing.

Sawdustguy 03-19-2007 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ
You would WHAT !!!!!!! I never heard that one before.

I was kidding......I forgot to put the little winkie thing on the post.

cmcadams 03-19-2007 01:50 PM

When I took the class a year ago, we were told that smoked chicken has rubbery skin, so don't count down for that. I don't, as the skin isn't that big of a deal, though I do taste it.

On appearance only, that chicken could score much higher if it weren't black. It may taste great, but the appearance score would likely suffer.

Sawdustguy 03-19-2007 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk
Never really thought about that. Must be tough to keep the skin from shrinking up much more than that if you're trying to get it crisp by finishing direct. I could see if you're not worried about that and just doing low and slow or doing them in a sauce bath at the end but what could you do otherwise, pin it down with toothpicks maybe?

We usually pin the skin underneath the thigh to prevent it form shrinking. We keep count of every toothpick we used and make sure we have removed every single one before turn-in. The last thing we want is someone getting hurt.

Bigmista 03-19-2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcadams
When I took the class a year ago, we were told that smoked chicken has rubbery skin, so don't count down for that. I don't, as the skin isn't that big of a deal, though I do taste it.

On appearance only, that chicken could score much higher if it weren't black. It may taste great, but the appearance score would likely suffer.

Some judges say thet score skinless lower because the cook must've messed up the skin or was "chicken" to try it.

YankeeBBQ 03-19-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

I was kidding......I forgot to put the little winkie thing on the post.

Phew !! You scared me !:shock:

Bentley 03-19-2007 02:57 PM

Many Thanks!

I tried boneless and skinless when I frist started. It just seems that you get a perception started with the judges that, like Bigmista said, you are not able to cook chicken "right" if it does not have skin on and bone in. I was taught to score the meat as presented, period. If that is with skin on I judge it that way. I will say if a team presents a peice of chicken to me with skin on I am going to take a bite with the skin and if it is rubbery ( and it usually is) I score it down. That is the way it is presented. I think most judges just avoid the skin and judge the peice that way and I think that is wrong. I just can't convince my sis to try it skinless, she says not only will it bias the judges on apperance, the apperance will bias their opinion of the taste. We do appeciate the input, please keep them coming, I am going to get her on the site tonight and have her read your responces, they are very insightfull and helpfull! :-D

G$ 03-19-2007 03:00 PM

I am not a CBJ.

That chicken does not look burnt, to ME. I cook my chicken dark. So, based on others' feedback, I need to stop cooking chicken dark, as does your sister.

Most succesful chicken i get to see is quite 'glazed and shiney'. I will say this specimen looks a little 'uneven', in that the skin has pulled back, and there are portions right around the dark spot that appear merely 'barbecue sauced'.

For what it's worth, it looks good to me, I am pretty sure I would enjoy eating it.

/I am not a CBJ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentley
Frist let me say I have try to look at the rules and I think this is allowed, if not deleate it.

We are a competition team, my sister and mom came onboard about 4 years ago and my sister now cooks the chicken at contests. Having said that she and I ask for the Brethren's help. She ask me to post this. Bless her heart she is trying her best, and I just don't know what to tell her cuz chicken was right up there with brisket for me to overcome!

This is a ? mainly for the CBJ's, hope I am in the right area.

I quote "If you were judging this piece of chicken, would you think it was burned? Would you mark down on appearance because you thought it looked burned? Or maybe you don't think it is burned, just nicely done?

Thanks!"

I am sure this does not need to be said but I will anyway, be brutaly honest. I will say she is at least getting the skin crispy!

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1174254319

Bigmista 03-19-2007 03:05 PM

Here is a thread on chicken skin

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...y+chicken+skin

I'll see if I can find more...