The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

armor 06-06-2010 11:37 PM

mr wilson ...you crack me up

Sammy_Shuford 06-07-2010 03:35 AM

Coverage of spray cans (Paint)

How many cans of spray paint did it take to cover your drum?

I have 4 cans of high temp spray paint from Home depot. Should that be enough?

( slow, but I will get it finished!)

Boshizzle 06-07-2010 09:09 AM

Four should be enough. But, I have used as much paint in the last three months touching mine up as I did when I originally painted it.

2Bulldogs 06-07-2010 09:11 AM

Newbie here and I have a few questions.

I have bought most of the parts I need to make my UDS. I have a question about my barrel though. I was told it was food grade and vegetable oil was the original product. But I'm not sure. The barrel is black and the inside is a rusty red color. I am going to go ahead and do a good long burn. Will this be enough? Is there a need to sand if you do a burn?

Also there are two grates. Is the lower grate used for a water pan? A friend asked me if it had a place for a water pan, and I told him I didn't think it did, but that got me thinking, Is that what the lower grate is for?

NASCARican 06-07-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingnut (Post 1302426)
http://www.threadyourself.com/uds/photo.jpg
Just thought I'd post a pic of two new drums in the family that we're seasoning tonight - an 85 gal. and a 30 gal. I have been making drums for buddies and selling a few, but decided to keep these for me and my son. These are a little nicer than the old one on the right in the photo - they are high-temp powder coated, have nicer temp gauges, stainless steel hardware, chrome stacks, and of course, bottle openers. :thumb:

I really like the 26 inch racks on the 85. Lots of room there. These look like they'll be a couple winners. Anyway, that's it...smoke on.

Those look SWEET!!! You can give the big names a run with those models...I'd buy one if I were closer!! Beautiful view in the background by the way!

Boshizzle 06-07-2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Bulldogs (Post 1303747)
Newbie here and I have a few questions.

I have bought most of the parts I need to make my UDS. I have a question about my barrel though. I was told it was food grade and vegetable oil was the original product. But I'm not sure. The barrel is black and the inside is a rusty red color. I am going to go ahead and do a good long burn. Will this be enough? Is there a need to sand if you do a burn?

Also there are two grates. Is the lower grate used for a water pan? A friend asked me if it had a place for a water pan, and I told him I didn't think it did, but that got me thinking, Is that what the lower grate is for?

You will have to remove all of the red liner. A good hot burn along with some elbow grease (sanding) is usually needed to get it all out.

The lower grate can be used for whatever you want to use it for. If you raise it up a little higher you can use it to cook on or as a holder for a diffuser (I use a 15" clay pot tray) or to cook on. If you put it down near the fire it can be used to hold a water pan or a diffuser. I don't think there is any need for a water pan on a UDS. However, if you don't like the flavor imparted to the food from the vapors of burning fat, you will need a diffuser.

2Bulldogs 06-07-2010 09:30 AM

Sounds like I need to get to cookin, once with a diffuser...once without...DARN!!!! Honey, I need more ribs.

2Bulldogs 06-07-2010 09:32 AM

So a food grade barrel wont have a liner...or will it be a different color. They said they had food grade, maybe they loaded the wrong type. If I have an idea what to look for I could tell the guy loading it which ones.

Boshizzle 06-07-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Bulldogs (Post 1303775)
So a food grade barrel wont have a liner...or will it be a different color. They said they had food grade, maybe they loaded the wrong type. If I have an idea what to look for I could tell the guy loading it which ones.

Yes, food grade will have a liner.

2Bulldogs 06-07-2010 10:29 AM

Last question I believe. I seen a comment about starting the fire in the basket.....from the top. Since heat rises how it that possible? Why not start the fire in the basket from the bottom like in a chimney?

Skidder 06-07-2010 10:44 AM

2Bulldogs you do it that way for a low and slow burn. Some do it the other way though.

2Bulldogs 06-07-2010 10:49 AM

How would you light it on top? No lighter fluid I assume.

Boshizzle 06-07-2010 10:55 AM

Start the fire like this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHXcibEJ1lc

No lighter fluid, please. If you must use something as an accelerant, use vegetable oil sprayed (PAM) on the newspaper. You can put a little on the charcoal too but it really isn't needed on the paper or the charcoal.

Get some good, heat resistent gloves, start the fire in the chimney (it has to be a weber, don't waste your time with the knock offs), then dump it in your fire box with some unlit fuel.

Of course, you could do this too -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V53P...eature=related

I use whatever method I feel like at the time. If my weedburner is handy, I prefer it.

wingnut 06-07-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NASCARican (Post 1303754)
Those look SWEET!!! You can give the big names a run with those models...I'd buy one if I were closer!! Beautiful view in the background by the way!

Thanks! I am trying to make this a side-hobby/maybe side-biz, and I appreciate the feedback. I've sold a bunch of these to friends, neighbors, and local BBQ association members.

And, you should see the view out the front porch. It's one of the reasons I put up with a 45 minute commute each way daily to work. :-)

2Bulldogs 06-07-2010 11:38 AM

Great!!!! Thanks for all the feedback. I found some expanded metal today just have to go pick it up, If I have to Ill go buy a Unibit...but they are pricey. Ill post pic when done.