The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

stglide 12-25-2010 07:19 AM

Great looking Drum HighQ!!! I'm sure there are many days of good Q that will be a result...

Dr_KY 12-25-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigwacker (Post 1482147)
Used disc blades, co-worker gave me two 18" disc blades for bases in my soon to be UDS. They come in a multitude of sizes, just check with any farmer friends.

I think that was over a year ago.lol

mranum 12-25-2010 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffsee (Post 1493353)
Any Wisconsin Brethren know of a place where I might get a 16 gallon steel drum (27" x 14")? NOw that I have had success at home, I'm thinking of making a mini UDS for my campsite in Green Lake. No barrels of this size on craigslist.

Thanks!

Check with your local repair shop. Grease usually comes in kegs that size and the shops use them for their air greasers.

coewar 12-25-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffsee (Post 1493353)
Any Wisconsin Brethren know of a place where I might get a 16 gallon steel drum (27" x 14")? NOw that I have had success at home, I'm thinking of making a mini UDS for my campsite in Green Lake. No barrels of this size on craigslist.

Thanks!

On page 486 I posted and added this link for a guy that did a mini smoker by basically cutting up a 55 gallon one. So I think technically you could create 2 of them from one big size drum. And the benefit is that you get the same cooking area (per grate) because you'd still get the ~22 inch diameter grate on there rather than something like a 16 or whatever gallon drum which likely will have a smaller radius/diameter.
http://www.shortypen.com/projects/bb.../uds/index.htm

InspectorQ 01-01-2011 03:33 PM

Thread read

I read it. I built it.

Pics to follow...........

I read this whole thread and let's just say it took a while. Thanks for all the info. Will contribute my experience when I have some food shots to share.

Thank you contributors.

BuckHunter83 01-05-2011 02:55 PM

I have been reading this thread for a few days and have decided that I need to build a UDS! I have been looking around and finally found a barrel today. Problem is that it had hydraulic oil in it previously. Will this be ok to use after I burn it out a time or two and clean it up?

Y'all have built some great looking smokers!

N8man 01-05-2011 04:35 PM

Personally, I feel if you do
a few really good hot burn outs,
it will be okay...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckHunter83 (Post 1503150)
I have been reading this thread for a few days and have decided that I need to build a UDS! I have been looking around and finally found a barrel today. Problem is that it had hydraulic oil in it previously. Will this be ok to use after I burn it out a time or two and clean it up?

Sterling 01-05-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Buck, do you know what brand of hydraulic oil was in the drum. I've looked a few MSDS forms for Hydraulic Fluid and they indicate that the stuff is practically non-toxic.

Sounds like a good, thorough, repeated scrubbing and a burn out or two should do the job.

Good luck.

Sterling

BlueHowler 01-05-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

My UDS had hydraulic oil in it and I did two burns with oak pallets that I got from my work and then cleaned it out at a car wash.

I then sprayed it with Pam cooking spray and did a six hour burn with lump charcoal.

It turned out great and the food tastes great.

BuckHunter83 01-06-2011 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sterling (Post 1503285)
Buck, do you know what brand of hydraulic oil was in the drum. I've looked a few MSDS forms for Hydraulic Fluid and they indicate that the stuff is practically non-toxic.

Sounds like a good, thorough, repeated scrubbing and a burn out or two should do the job.

Good luck.

Sterling

The label on the drum says High Endurance Hydraulic Oil 68. I picked up a few pallets yesterday, going to cut the lid out either today or tomorrow and get a good burn going. Any reccomendations as to how long to burn it each time? I am excited and ready to start smoking!

blackdog043 01-06-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckHunter83 (Post 1503747)
The label on the drum says High Endurance Hydraulic Oil 68. I picked up a few pallets yesterday, going to cut the lid out either today or tomorrow and get a good burn going. Any reccomendations as to how long to burn it each time? I am excited and ready to start smoking!

If you didn't start your burn yet, I would wash it out first with hot soapy water, to get the worst of the oil out. Drill your intake holes before you burn it out, so the fire will burn good. Burn it out with a good hot fire, the paint should peel on the outside if it's hot enough. I don't go buy time just heat.
When you season it, get the temp up to 350-400 for a couple hrs. The UDS is a great cooker, have fun with it.

DawgDrvr 01-06-2011 01:09 PM

50 gallon metal barrels - $10 (Hoodsport WA)

Hey Guy'z, I just ran across this on Seattle CL . I think i might look into this . So if your in the Tacoma,Olympia or Bremerton give this guy a call .

50 gallon metal barrels - $10 (Hoodsport WA)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mat/2138275239.html

Date: 2010-12-31, 10:23PM PST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Approximately 50 clean, 50 gallon metal barrels with rims and lids @ $10 each or
Quantity discounts?
Discount for taking all 50?

Cash only u pick up no exceptions 10-6pm daily

23501 hwy 101 Hoodsport Washington 98548

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2138275239

Downtown Smokeout 01-06-2011 01:30 PM

If anyone is looking for a barrel in the Evansville, IN area, O'Bryan Barrel has them cheap. I just picked up an unlined-reconditioned barrel w/lid for $9 because it had two holes drilled at the bottom, which are set perfectly for vents once I enlarge them. Normal reconditioned barrels are $15 or $20.

http://www.obryanbarrel.com/

zwylde1 01-06-2011 01:57 PM

For the holes in the bottom for the pipe nipples is there any reason why a 1" hole saw can not be used versus the "step bit" alot seem to use?

AJP 01-06-2011 01:59 PM

Nope I use a hole saw for mine.