The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MAK Group Buy (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279141)

Crispy Bacon 02-26-2020 05:34 PM

MAK Group Buy

I talked to MAK grills & they said they don’t normally discount their grills but they said if it was a big enough group they might be able to work something out. So I guess we need to see how many would be interested to see what they can do. So please respond if you’re interested. Or, if RWalters wants to step in & take this over since he seems to be the most knowledgeable on all things MAK, He can. Up to him. wink wink!

Thanks

Stlsportster 02-26-2020 05:42 PM

Paging Jason TQ. Come in Jason.

:mrgreen:

4ever3 02-26-2020 06:13 PM

I’m interested

rwalters 02-26-2020 06:43 PM

I’m in, and totally wiling to facilitate! Spoke w/ the guys at MAK and they’re excited to give this a whirl. Should know the “specifics” soon (hopefully tomorrow), but I do know that the more sold the better the discount/deal. Under 10 will be one deal and over 10 will be another deal.

With that said, anyone that is interested in buying a MAK 1 or 2 Star at a discounted price better chime in now as I have never seen MAK do anything like this. They almost never discount, nor do they give things away... so any discount/freebie they toss our way is gonna be a rare opportunity to see any savings at all on this lifetime cooker :)

tom b 02-26-2020 06:51 PM

A year a go I would have been in, we love our 2*. If your on the fence it would be a great time to jump in.

rwalters 02-26-2020 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom b (Post 4276358)
A year a go I would have been in, we love our 2*. If your on the fence it would be a great time to jump in.

The deal will be nowhere near what you got... lol. You’ll never beat “gently used.”

SirPorkaLot 02-26-2020 07:03 PM

Dammit.

Y’all gonna really make me go down the slippery pellet road aren’t ya?

rwalters 02-26-2020 07:11 PM

Lots of peeps about to get tax refunds... just sayin’ :)

Jrogers84 02-26-2020 07:12 PM

I’m interested but it depends on price if I could do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sudsandswine 02-26-2020 07:16 PM

Depending on the discount, I might be able to be coaxed into upgrading to a newer model with some of the features I’ve been longing for.

shares 02-26-2020 07:18 PM

With all the Smokefire returns going on - I bet you could get a good number to jump in. If I were a pellet guy, it would be a MAK over everything else.

Shadowdog500 02-26-2020 07:19 PM

Count me as very interested in a 2 star.

Jrogers84 02-26-2020 07:20 PM

I will obviously look into it more when I have more than a phone, but what are the big differences between the 1 Star and the 2 star?

Shadowdog500 02-26-2020 07:25 PM

These photos from Rwalters should sell more than a few MAK 2 star Generals!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4275855)
Have had 20+ cookers go through my backyard over the years... gas, charcoal, sticks and pellets. My only grill/smoker today is a MAK 2 Star. Best all around cooker I have ever had. Yes, it will hold what you have mentioned. 4 butts on top, no problem. 2 average sized or 1 gigantic brisket below.

Here’s a pic of mine loaded down with 15 racks of St. Louis style ribs:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...77dd7c317b.jpg

This was a mess of smaller butts with room for more:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7dc660d219.jpg

Here’s another MAK owner with 4 15ish lb. briskets (older MAK).
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...532bcad106.jpg

rwalters 02-26-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrogers84 (Post 4276380)
I will obviously look into it more when I have more than a phone, but what are the big differences between the 1 Star and the 2 star?

2 Star provides:
-304 marine grade SS cooking chamber
-Side shelve with cold smoke box
-Funnel Flame Zone for grilling
-Lower shelf
-Extra slide in rails for up to 3 additional grates vs 1 on the 1 Star

All of that can be added to the 1 Star w/ the exception of the cold smoke box and extra slide in rails... but by the time you do that, you’re approaching 2 Star pricing.

I have owned and cooked on both... and both are top notch! Really depends on budget and what you’re wanting out of the cooker?

rwalters 02-26-2020 07:30 PM

MAK Group Buy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 (Post 4276383)
These photos from Rwalters should sell more than a few MAC 2 star Generals!!!!

Hopefully they sell MAK’s and not MAC’s... lol [emoji12]

Shadowdog500 02-26-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4276386)
Hopefully they sell MAK’s and not MAC’s... lol.

Fixed it! Thanks!

rwalters 02-26-2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 (Post 4276396)
Fixed it! Thanks!

Just messing w/ you :)

Baychilla 02-26-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4276405)
Just messing w/ you :)

Tim Cook is displeased.:icon_shy

rwalters 02-26-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4276412)
Tim Cook is displeased.:icon_shy

Oh well... I have one of his $$$$$$$$ iPhones... he’ll be fine... lol.

McGruber 02-26-2020 08:09 PM

Well, seeing that I’m holding onto the Weber until I find something else to buy,I am interested. The 2 star is a dream but so $$$.

Crispy Bacon 02-26-2020 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4276355)
I’m in, and totally wiling to facilitate! Spoke w/ the guys at MAK and they’re excited to give this a whirl. Should know the “specifics” soon (hopefully tomorrow), but I do know that the more sold the better the discount/deal. Under 10 will be one deal and over 10 will be another deal.

With that said, anyone that is interested in buying a MAK 1 or 2 Star at a discounted price better chime in now as I have never seen MAK do anything like this. They almost never discount, nor do they give things away... so any discount/freebie they toss our way is gonna be a rare opportunity to see any savings at all on this lifetime cooker :)

Thanks for jumping in & helping Out! I figured I would try to recruit you with all of your experience with MAK
Thanks

pjtexas1 02-26-2020 08:49 PM

I'm interested in a 1 Star as I don't like the gas grill look of the others. IF the price is right! I could sell the other 2 pellet grills if the Mak is really all it's supposed to be.
[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rwalters 02-26-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crispy Bacon (Post 4276428)
Thanks for jumping in & helping Out! I figured I would try to recruit you with all of your experience with MAK

Thanks

My pleasure buddy... I kinda like the MAK product :)

Bacchus2b 02-26-2020 09:43 PM

It would be very cool if they made a BBQ Brethren edition with a "Fear the Pig" logo or cover. Maybe if they offered a run of twenty smokers with some free extras like a full size upper rack, searing grate, cover, etc. Even if they offered discounted freight for Brethren members they would see some additional sales and they get lots of great press here.

Just a thought...

pjtexas1 02-26-2020 09:48 PM

Isn't free shipping standard?

tom b 02-26-2020 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4276454)

I had to drive to Sacramento or so to pick up mine....

pjtexas1 02-26-2020 10:02 PM

From the Mak site. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...a75435674f.jpg

rwalters 02-26-2020 10:15 PM

MAK Group Buy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus2b (Post 4276450)
It would be very cool if they made a BBQ Brethren edition with a "Fear the Pig" logo or cover. Maybe if they offered a run of twenty smokers with some free extras like a full size upper rack, searing grate, cover, etc. Even if they offered discounted freight for Brethren members they would see some additional sales and they get lots of great press here.

Just a thought...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4276454)

Yep, free shipping and no tax. That’s a big deal.

Love the “special edition” idea!! I’ll mention it tomorrow and see what they think. Can’t hurt to ask :)

A couple of years ago a fellow MAK owner was asking if anyone knew of a high temp vinyl that could be purchased, and from that made into a USMC logo, and then placed on the lid of his 2 Star. The owner of MAK happened to see the question and simply commented, “how would you like that laser cut out of steel and bent exactly like the standard hood?” Ummm, yes please!

A week or so later a laser cut logo, bent to perfectly fit on the hood was received from MAK Grills. It was even precise enough to outline the feathers with super thin cuts.

How cool is this?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3660142e36.jpg

rwalters 02-26-2020 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom b (Post 4276456)
I had to drive to Sacramento or so to pick up mine....

Ain’t no free shipping from my BBQ store buddy. But I do recall there being a free hopper full of pellets! Oh yeah, and I think the cooker even came pre-seasoned. So suck it up butter cup :)

Cabin Fever 02-26-2020 11:23 PM

Anyone know the story behind their controller? I've heard their claim to fame is they put out more smoke than any other pellet grill on the market. Is it one of those half PID controllers that allow for more temp swings? Also, why is WiFi $300 extra?

Baychilla 02-26-2020 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cabin Fever (Post 4276489)
Anyone know the story behind their controller? I've heard their claim to fame is they put out more smoke than any other pellet grill on the market. Is it one of those half PID controllers that allow for more temp swings? Also, why is WiFi $300 extra?

Extra and even though the grill ships from the factory you need to install the unit yourself.

RemoGaggi 02-26-2020 11:40 PM

Rwalters, can you nudge them for a mini-mak for me?

rwalters 02-26-2020 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemoGaggi (Post 4276491)
Rwalters, can you nudge them for a mini-mak for me?

Trying buddy :)

TravelingJ 02-27-2020 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudsandswine (Post 4276374)
Depending on the discount, I might be able to be coaxed into upgrading to a newer model with some of the features I’ve been longing for.

If you are selling YOUR MAK, please let me know!
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4276386)
Hopefully they sell MAK’s and not MAC’s... lol [emoji12]

No kidding. This Coronavirus is really screwing with Apple. The office bought me a new macbook pro, and it's been delayed with no ETA in sight ) =

rwalters 02-27-2020 12:26 AM

Quote:

Good question. What I do know is that their controller is proprietary to them. It keeps a fairly tight temp range, but does allow for a bit of swing. On the Smoke setting, it swings between 170-190°... and as you go up from there, the swing tightens up. I have cooked on other pellet cookers, and I have yet to see one that smokes like the MAK. I do know that maximum smoke production was a top priority at the inception of MAK Grills, and 10 years later nothing seems to have changed. As far as charging extra for the WiFi module, I don’t have the reasoning behind that. I suppose they could include it, but my guess is that base price would change. No denying that MAK Grills are not cheap... and are definitely not for everyone. Heck, I sold a backyard full of cookers to fund my first 2 Star. That said, I look at grills/smokers like this as more of an investment than a purchase. Cookers manufactured at this level will probably outlive you and me.

rwalters 02-27-2020 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TravelingJ (Post 4276493)
If you are selling YOUR MAK, please let me know!

No kidding. This Coronavirus is really screwing with Apple. The office bought me a new macbook pro, and it's been delayed with no ETA in sight ) =

Wowsers... yeah, this virus sure has half the world scared to death. The first case was just reported in my area... and of course the evening news is blowing the story through the roof. Better wipe that MacBook down with bleach wipes when it eventually arrives.

mbrass 02-27-2020 05:42 AM

Very interested in a 1 Star, depending on discount, could be interested in a 2 Star. Please add me to the list

mbrass 02-27-2020 07:02 AM

Had an idea that might make them sweeten the deal...if everyone in the purchasing group committed to one social media post per month for a year (cross-posted on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook), we would essentially create an influencer marketing program for them. We would all become MAK brand ambassadors during a time when companies like Weber and Treager are spending a ton on advertising. They need help with their advertising and something like this could go a long way in doing that for them.

To do this. The purchasing group would need to provide their numbers of followers across all networks to show what the impact would be.

Depending on our numbers, could easily justify an additional 20% discount.

If you a guys all agree, I could help put this story together (I lead Advertising for a large Fortune 500 company).

ModelMaker 02-27-2020 07:25 AM

Hi all, Debbie Downer here, So you get a group of BBQ'ers getting a "special deal" then you advertise how special you are across social media then you get all the other "special groups" wanting their "special deals" and MAK having to add a "special deals" dept. with "special deal" options and Mak going "crap why did we start this"?

If you do end up getting a "special deal" I would suggest just grabbing it and silently disappear to your cooking area.
Ed

KevinJ 02-27-2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Besides what Robb mentioned and just a theory of mine is another reason the MAK puts out more smoke is it changes fan speeds depending on what temp you are cooking at, smoke - 245 the fan runs at 60% max, 250 - 295 runs at 80% max, 300 and above 100%. Going from 245 to 250 and 295 to 300 or vise versa you will hear the fan change speeds, I usually start all my cooks now at 245 still taking advantage of the lower fan speed because I really haven't noticed much of a difference in smoke profiles from going lower.

Wifi has been $300 as long as I can recall, don't have it, don't need it, you can program the controller up to 6 different steps, be it time and temp or IT or a combo of both. I can see an advantage for someone that wants todo a long cook while away from home say at work to monitor the grill incase of a flame out or power outage.

rwalters 02-27-2020 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinJ (Post 4276531)
Besides what Robb mentioned and just a theory of mine is another reason the MAK puts out more smoke is it changes fan speeds depending on what temp you are cooking at, smoke - 245 the fan runs at 60% max, 250 - 295 runs at 80% max, 300 and above 100%. Going from 245 to 250 and 295 to 300 or vise versa you will hear the fan change speeds, I usually start all my cooks now at 245 still taking advantage of the lower fan speed because I really haven't noticed much of a difference in smoke profiles from going lower.

Wifi has been $300 as long as I can recall, don't have it, don't need it, you can program the controller up to 6 different steps, be it time and temp or IT or a combo of both. I can see an advantage for someone that wants todo a long cook while away from home say at work to monitor the grill incase of a flame out or power outage.

Great point, Kevin. The way that the Pellet Boss controller manages the variable speed fan clearly plays an important role in smoke production. A lower volume of airflow across the fire at those lower temps definitely gets the smoke rolling...

SweetHeatBBQnSC 02-27-2020 08:04 AM

Interested to see discount amount...

Shadowdog500 02-27-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbrass (Post 4276523)
Had an idea that might make them sweeten the deal...if everyone in the purchasing group committed to one social media post per month for a year (cross-posted on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook), we would essentially create an influencer marketing program for them. We would all become MAK brand ambassadors during a time when companies like Weber and Treager are spending a ton on advertising. They need help with their advertising and something like this could go a long way in doing that for them.

To do this. The purchasing group would need to provide their numbers of followers across all networks to show what the impact would be.

If you a guys all agree, I could help put this story together (I lead Advertising for a large Fortune 500 company).

I don’t do a lot of social media and am not interested in becoming an influencer. All I’m interested in getting a great pellet cooker at a price that I can afford.

Just because someone owns something and can post on social media does not necessarily make them a good representative for the product.

ebijack 02-27-2020 08:10 AM

I might be interested. As I canceled the weber fire before they shipped.
If it is only single digit savings I don't believe I could be swayed.

Sid Post 02-27-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TravelingJ (Post 4276493)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4276497)
Wowsers... yeah, this virus sure has half the world scared to death. The first case was just reported in my area... and of course the evening news is blowing the story through the roof. Better wipe that MacBook down with bleach wipes when it eventually arrives.

Cornovirus is a real problem in crowded areas, especially with high travel rates but, unreasonable panic is a real concern as well.

Try buying a lead vapor face mask ... :mad2:

Lets see, I live in rural <insert remote rural area here> and I put my TINFOIL HAT on to fight it. I know! Lets buy all the 3M filter cartridges we can find. Oil resistant, GREAT! Aresenic and asbestos resistant, GREAT! Only have XL size paper masks available, BETTER THAN NOTHING!

When you see people wearing paper masks in public in rural TEXAS, things are skewed out of reason. I get relative risk but, I'm more concerned by being hit by a car from a distracted driver than catching Cornovirus from a neighbor that hasn't traveled outside of East Texas for 6 months and the state for a year or two. :mad2:

I would like to think they are protecting me/us from the FLU :sick: but, sadly that wasn't the case, at least with the people I ran into. Masks for the FLU while in public, NO WAY but, for a fear of a pandemic that isn't here, SURE!

rwalters 02-27-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbrass (Post 4276523)

MAK seems to be one of those quiet, focused companies that does not do much advertising. It seems their primary marketing strategy is their existing customer base (the MAK family). Whether they want to invite the MAK family into the role of “social media influencer” would obviously be up to them. They kind of already have a social media influencer group in the fact that there are MAK family members (MAK owners) in groups/forums that are regularly interacting with the BBQ community and showing the “goods” visually and through written word.

No harm in asking though :)

Sid Post 02-27-2020 08:46 AM

M Grills is another one! Pretty quietly making a really good product that serves a niche of the BBQ/Smoker world.

Whether MAK or M Grills really want to go big-time SOCIAL MEDIA and all the hype and overhead is an unknown to me. A huge spike in demand that dies off has killed many a successful small "Mom and Pop" business.

mbrass 02-27-2020 08:49 AM

Again, it was just an idea. We don’t have to do that. But, companies pay good money for social media influencers, and it wouldn’t be much work on our end, so...led me to that idea.

To Ed’s comment, as an influencer you wouldn’t talk about the deal you got. You would talk about how great the cookers are and further spread the gospel making people think twice before getting a Smokefire or anything else.

Social media is a powerful tool, which is why companies spend hundreds of millions of dollars advertising on the different networks.

rwalters 02-27-2020 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbrass (Post 4276562)
Again, it was just an idea. We don’t have to do that. But, companies pay good money for social media influencers, and it wouldn’t be much work on our end, so...led me to that idea.

To Ed’s comment, as an influencer you wouldn’t talk about the deal you got. You would talk about how great the cookers are and further spread the gospel making people think twice before getting a Smokefire or anything else.

Social media is a powerful tool, which is why companies spend hundreds of millions of dollars advertising on the different networks.

Absolutely! I have a few buddies that are brand ambassadors for Traeger. Traeger pours a lot of resources into their social media influencer program... no arguing with that.