The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MAK Group Buy (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279141)

ebijack 02-28-2020 11:02 AM

Your making me rethink about getting one. :tsk:

rwalters 02-28-2020 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebijack (Post 4277022)
Your making me rethink about getting one. :tsk:

I’d be really surprised if you regretted the purchase. Just sayin’... [emoji6]

ebijack 02-28-2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4277025)
I’d be really surprised if you regretted the purchase. Just sayin’... [emoji6]

That's what I heard about my last large purchase.
Extremely bad experience.
But after all the time, modifications, lots and lots of meat. It is now a great cooker. Except for some real bad design issues/flaws.
Lots of coin I probably shouldn't spend.

rwalters 02-28-2020 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebijack (Post 4277067)
That's what I heard about my last large purchase.
Extremely bad experience.
But after all the time, modifications, lots and lots of meat. It is now a great cooker. Except for some real bad design issues/flaws.
Lots of coin I probably shouldn't spend.

I hear ya! Scary indeed. Rarely do you see an unhappy MAK owner if that’s any comfort at all :)

Josh@MAK 02-28-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebijack (Post 4276952)
Like you I would not really use it for grilling. I wanted to be able to smoke. From sausage, jerky, fish and everything else. But I want another smoker that is able to smoke at 150*-170*. When required. I am able to do that on my smokers now. But sure would be easier with a pellet smoker.
Mak's site say's 200* is the lowest set temp. Reason I did not call this morning.
Not sure about their smoker box. The site needs updating. Some of the tabs do not link to actual info.
Again I have no actual experience with pellets. Only what I know from Ninja Steve and reading here.

Hi, Tom, we're working on the website. I've updated the cooking temperature range. 200-450 is the current setpoint temperature range. SMOKE mode swings temperatures from 170 - 190 to create the most smoke and GRILL mode will feed fuel continuously to keep the grill as hot as possible, generally topping out at around 600 degrees. The grill is governed at 600 degrees so once the thermocouple (assuming it's in its default position) reads an ambient temperature of 600 degrees, the Pellet Boss will start to back off long enough for it to not exceed 600 degrees. If the FlameZone covers are off, the temperature at the grate level will be higher than 600 degrees. If you move the roaming thermocouple to the grate level, the temperature at the grate level should remain very close to 600 degrees.

McGruber 02-28-2020 01:15 PM

Can anyone comment on the saving? Not looking for dollar amount based on posts above but is it fairly substantial? I’m not sure if I’m ready to make such a big leap. Thanks.

4ever3 02-28-2020 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McGruber (Post 4277087)
Can anyone comment on the saving? Not looking for dollar amount based on posts above but is it fairly substantial? I’m not sure if I’m ready to make such a big leap. Thanks.

Just call, doesn’t cost anything to talk:thumb:

Baychilla 02-28-2020 01:40 PM

So the 2 Star is the same as the 1 Star EXCEPT:
1. It has the cold smoke box
2. It has something different with the upper rack mounting points?
3. It's got stainless steel in places the 1 Star doesnt? (all over?)

What is aluminized steel? What's its corrosion resistance like?

4ever3 02-28-2020 02:26 PM

Here ya go

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminized_steel

All ya ever want to know

BKING! 02-28-2020 03:29 PM

I already own a Mak 1 star. Just wanted to say that my Mak has been my favorite smoker I’ve owned and I’ve owned 10+. I’ve owned electric, propane, charcoal, a pellet smoker from another company, and a stick burner. The Mak has the best smoke flavor of all of them except for the stick burner in my opinion. The flavor is the same as the stick burner but maybe just slightly lighter. A lot of the time I would say no difference. I doubt you will regret your purchase even if you’ve tried pellet smoker food in the past and weren’t impressed. This is night and day different from my last pellet grill.

For reference my last pellet grill was a GMG big pig trailer rig. I loved it but no comparison to the Mak daddy of pellet grills lol.

jstrand 02-28-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4277100)

2 Star also comes with the funnel flame zone. You could also add the Super Smoker Box on the 2 Star. Which if I had the coin would be part of my 2 Star purchase which I can't buy either! :mad2:

So anyone who gets in on this deal I'm very jealous. One day.

gben 02-28-2020 04:24 PM

twist my arm

I've been reading the brethren forums longer than I've been signed up and everything I've read about Mak has been positive. They check a lot of boxes in what I'm looking for. The size seems to work for me, small enough for family and large enough to entertain when it comes to it. Customer service is supposedly great. Smoke profile second to none. Arm has been twisted with this news. Called Caleb, he was out of office so left message. Got to see if I can make this work. I have to admit that an insulated cabinet (lone star) intrigues me too.

rwalters 02-28-2020 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4277100)

Sounds like you’ve had your questions answered. Didn’t click on the link posted above, so maybe this was already stated. But biggest thing for me is that aluminized steel will not rust. Down the road, and with some possible chips/dings in the powder coating... you should never see rust. My first 1 Star is now going on 10 years old. I don’t own it anymore as I sold it to a buddy to buy a 2 Star. But after years of heavy use, there wasn’t a speck of rust on it.

Baychilla 02-28-2020 04:48 PM

Think I'll have to figure out a way to rehome an ancient WSM and an old LBGE and then call on Monday about the deal.

Johnny in L.A. 02-28-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BKING! (Post 4277128)
I already own a Mak 1 star. Just wanted to say that my Mak has been my favorite smoker I’ve owned and I’ve owned 10+. I’ve owned electric, propane, charcoal, a pellet smoker from another company, and a stick burner. The Mak has the best smoke flavor of all of them except for the stick burner in my opinion. The flavor is the same as the stick burner but maybe just slightly lighter. A lot of the time I would say no difference.

Hey Mr. King! Do you use a smoke tube or other extra smoke in your Mak? What are your favorite pellets?