The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MAK Group Buy (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279141)

pharp 03-02-2020 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebijack (Post 4277357)
Not really. The company I had such a bad experience with doesn't get much bad press either. Not anywhere near like it should. Folks just put them up for sale and say they are going in another direction. Since if they told the truth. It would not be an easy sale. If that makes sense.

Mine works great. In fact I bought three more. Maybe you just could not use it.

pjtexas1 03-02-2020 06:51 PM

I think I'm more excited for everyone getting their new Maks than I am for my own. I'm almost afraid that I might turn into one of those pellet heads.

Rwalters what issues did you have Lumberjack pellets?

And I already knitted my pair of Mak undies. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rwalters 03-02-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm41400 (Post 4278853)
+1 here

2 star
+Mobile Mak/Wifi
+Full & 3/4 upper rack

Thanks Crispy Bacon and rwalters for getting this going and everyone else! Appreciate the info along the way. I won’t lie it stung a little pulling the trigger on an expensive pellet grill since I’ve had little experience with them to date.

Customer service was great and Caleb was super cool! Counting the days now...

And another... YES... lovin’ this!!! Welcome to the MAK family :)

4ever3 03-02-2020 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom b (Post 4278856)
it is sounding like we are going to need a new appreciation thread...

That’s a good idea!

4ever3 03-02-2020 07:27 PM

Is that 5 grills sold?

rwalters 03-02-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4278878)
I think I'm more excited for everyone getting their new Maks than I am for my own. I'm almost afraid that I might turn into one of those pellet heads.

Rwalters what issues did you have Lumberjack pellets?

And I already knitted my pair of Mak undies. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a theory regarding LJ pellets and my MAK. I actually had a few flameouts using their oak pellets. As you know, oak burns with a fairly high BTU. I was experiencing the issue during the hot summer months only. My theory is that the Funnel Flame Zone is almost to effective at moving the heat into the cooking chamber on a super hot day AND with using straight oak pellets. Because the fire to maintain temp is so tiny on a hot day, I think I created my own problem by using a super high BTU pellet. I lost a few fires. I took the LJ oak pellets out of the equation and the problem was immediately gone. Since then, I have switched to Bear Mountain which is what MAK will send... and it just so happens they are readily available on the west coast. If I were to return to LJ I’d select one of their blends as it would contain some lower BTU wood types. Perhaps straight oak would kick butt in the winter, but I haven’t tried.

All that said, you have a 1 Star coming which does not have the Funnel Flame Zone. It’s not as efficient at moving heat up into the cook chamber. Straight oak may work just fine for you.

gtsum 03-02-2020 07:31 PM

Congrats to all the new MAK owners! Undoubtedly getting one of the best pellet coolers on the market!

FWIW, I tried many kinds of pellets in my yoder and Memphis elite and lumberjack pellets, by far, were my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tom b 03-02-2020 07:42 PM

Another Lumberjack use, I use the supreme blend without trouble

Baychilla 03-02-2020 08:01 PM

Anyone use Lumberjack hickory?

tom b 03-02-2020 08:23 PM

I have run LJ Hickory but I prefer the supreme blend. I have found at times I prefer to dial back the smoke some

KevinJ 03-02-2020 08:29 PM

I used to use LJ 100% Hickory then switched to LJ Comp Blend, less ash and still get a good smoke profile.

rwalters 03-02-2020 08:36 PM

Not sure how many of you live in climates that have 100° plus days on a regular basis during the summer. I really think that was my issue with the oak pellets. Perhaps we should move... lol.

BKING! 03-02-2020 08:36 PM

My favorite after some experimentation is LJ pecan

4ever3 03-02-2020 08:49 PM

We’ve decided the LJ competition is our all around favorite in the GMG.

Time will tell on the MAK.

noeldavid 03-02-2020 09:01 PM

I have been using CookinPellets Hickory and CookinPellets Perfect Blend on my Mak 2 Star for many years and recently got some Lumberjacks Hickory and Pecan to try. I prefer CookinPellets because it gives out a more pronounced wood flavor to the meats compared to Lumberjacks. Even when turning on the grill you can smell they are not CookinPellets. Also, CookinPellets leave behind 50% less ash than Lumberjacks. I have also tried BBQers Delight and I prefer them than Lumberjacks. IMHO
CookinPellets > BBQers Delight > Lumberjacks > Bear Mountain > Camp Chef