The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MAK Group Buy (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279141)

rwalters 02-28-2020 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Spot (Post 4277312)
So you can only speak to Caleb?

Caleb is MAK Grills General Manager... he’s the man that can make things happen :)

Baychilla 02-28-2020 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4277315)
Caleb is MAK Grills General Manager... he’s the man that can make things happen :)

I thought people were speaking with Josh:confused:

rwalters 02-28-2020 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm41400 (Post 4277307)
Oh man... I’m sooo tempted. Thx for the info. Spoke to Caleb and this is a great deal.

What accessories are “can’t live without” for the Mak 2*? I think I NEED WiFi but I have a FireBoard so I can monitor remotely and program the pellet boss..

Whatcha think?

Other than the front shelf and griddle, I think have just about every option. My thoughts...

-The upper grate(s) get used all the time. Love the upper grates.

-I use the WiFi for 100% of my cooks. Necessary? No. Super nice to have? Yes.

-I have and use 2 MAK sear grates for most of my grilling. Necessary? No. Do I love them? Yes.

-Front cabinet door. I love the finished look it give the 2 Star and the fact that I can hide things behind it. Just an FYI... the storage under the 2 Star is not a water proof enclosure when you add a front door. No biggie as long as you know that.

Other than that, the MAK comes pretty well decked out as is :)

rwalters 02-28-2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4277317)
I thought people were speaking with Josh:confused:

I’m sure Josh can help, but I think it has been Caleb handling these orders. Either way, both great dudes!

rm41400 02-28-2020 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4277318)
Other than the front shelf and griddle, I think have just about every option. My thoughts...

-I use the WiFi for 100% of my cooks. Necessary? No. Super nice to have? Yes.

Other than that, the MAK comes pretty well decked out as is :)

What WIFI features do you use on most of your cooks?

Temp monitoring remotely? Or adjusting temps on the fly.

I think that’s what I keep mulling over...

Thx again for the help

Johnny in L.A. 02-28-2020 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4277172)
Ditto! MAK’s were designed to smoke. You’ll see that the first time you fire it up... and I am not just taking about the “start-up” smoke that everyone shows off. This is what you’ll see a TON of... :)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0a844052ed.jpg

That does look great! :D

tom b 02-28-2020 10:44 PM

I love that pic, is that mine Robb?

Crispy Bacon 02-28-2020 11:00 PM

Do any 2* owners have the front shelf? Is it worth having? Any opinions on it would be appreciated! Thanks

rwalters 02-28-2020 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom b (Post 4277327)
I love that pic, is that mine Robb?

Nope, it’s mine :)

Here’s yours...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...752142caf6.jpg

rwalters 02-28-2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm41400 (Post 4277322)
What WIFI features do you use on most of your cooks?

Temp monitoring remotely? Or adjusting temps on the fly.

I think that’s what I keep mulling over...

Thx again for the help

I am not big into cook programs.... but if that’s your thing, it’s NICE for that. I just prefer simple. I use it to monitor temps, adjust remotely, shut down remotely. It’s just become part of my cooking routine. Could I live without it? Yes... I did for the first 3 years of my MAK ownership. Finally decided to give WiFi a shot and found that I enjoy it much more than I thought I would. Just so darn convenient, especially with a super busy family and often times not being able to man the MAK in person when out and about with the family.

ebijack 02-29-2020 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh@MAK (Post 4277076)
Hi, Tom, we're working on the website. I've updated the cooking temperature range. 200-450 is the current setpoint temperature range. SMOKE mode swings temperatures from 170 - 190 to create the most smoke and GRILL mode will feed fuel continuously to keep the grill as hot as possible, generally topping out at around 600 degrees. The grill is governed at 600 degrees so once the thermocouple (assuming it's in its default position) reads an ambient temperature of 600 degrees, the Pellet Boss will start to back off long enough for it to not exceed 600 degrees. If the FlameZone covers are off, the temperature at the grate level will be higher than 600 degrees. If you move the roaming thermocouple to the grate level, the temperature at the grate level should remain very close to 600 degrees.

Thanks for the info Josh!
But I just don't see these units being able to meet my smoking requirements. Not sure I'd grill on it at all. I have other cookers that grill exceptionally well. At any temp I want. Up to 750*+.
Maybe someday.
Thanks to Mak for the buying offers for Brethren!

ebijack 02-29-2020 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4277069)
I hear ya! Scary indeed. Rarely do you see an unhappy MAK owner if that’s any comfort at all :)

Not really. The company I had such a bad experience with doesn't get much bad press either. Not anywhere near like it should. Folks just put them up for sale and say they are going in another direction. Since if they told the truth. It would not be an easy sale. If that makes sense.

WBDubya 02-29-2020 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crispy Bacon (Post 4277331)
Do any 2* owners have the front shelf? Is it worth having? Any opinions on it would be appreciated! Thanks

I'm wondering this too. While the paper towel holder would be nice you really don't need additional shelf space IMO. I utilize the pellet box cover and the warmer box cover if I need to place things near the grill (although the warmer box cover can get hot if you are cooking at high temps). The only accessories I do not have are the front shelf, griddle and cold smoker box. Wifi control is a must IMO, it's awesome, the cover is super durable too.

Sooner21 02-29-2020 07:15 AM

Question for you MAK owners with WiFi - are you able to start the grill from your phone? Thinking along the lines of being able to get the grill going while on my way home from work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rwalters 02-29-2020 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner21 (Post 4277394)
Question for you MAK owners with WiFi - are you able to start the grill from your phone? Thinking along the lines of being able to get the grill going while on my way home from work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is about the only thing you cannot do with the WiFi module. Not sure if any grill manufacturer allows for that. I have asked MAK about that, and the reason given has to do with liability.