The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

h20loo 03-10-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjl (Post 1211263)
OK. I have made it through much of this thread, and am ready to build a UDS. Just a few questions. I am looking to build it with a Kettle lid, 2 cooking grates, and a waterpan...sort of a poor mans 22.5 WSM. Does this sound reasonable? To expect WSM like performance out of a UDS? My plan is to use it at home when I don't want to fire up my larger GF cooker. If i performs as advertised, I'd like to make it a dedicated brisket contest cooker.

Any insight would be appreciated, especially as related to a UDS with a water pan or contest cooking.

Thank you.

Matt

I don't think you have any understanding of what a UDS is.

sdb25 03-10-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h20loo (Post 1211350)

On the contrary, the UDS can be all things to all people. Just because someone wants to run a water pan in it (why, I don't know), doesn't mean anything. The UDS is about making something on the cheap, experimenting in a way that makes it your own, and creating the best Q ever.

sdb25 03-10-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelterrapin (Post 1211349)
As of yesterday I have obtained a weed burner. Do you think just using the weed burner will work or should I do a burn and then use the weed burner to clean up what is left. I don't mind the buring but dread crawling inside of a drum and trying to wire brush and sand the sides. I might be the end of this old man.

Hit it with the weed burner until the metal glows red. Your drum will never run at temps near that, and anything that is going to off-gas will be gone.

mjl 03-10-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h20loo (Post 1211350)

Wow. UDS cookers are many things to many people. I like the idea of it being a pit style cooker, unlike my previous Backwoods, FEC, Stumps, and Superior Smokers. I ALSO like the idea of cooking with a water pan, and wanted some input on that type of flexibility.

Thank you so much for you insightful comments, I am sure they will be treasured by forum members for years and years.

ML

UVaJester 03-10-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjl (Post 1211363)
Wow. UDS cookers are many things to many people. I like the idea of it being a pit style cooker, unlike my previous Backwoods, FEC, Stumps, and Superior Smokers. I ALSO like the idea of cooking with a water pan, and wanted some input on that type of flexibility.

Thank you so much for you insightful comments, I am sure they will be treasured by forum members for years and years.

ML

I know some people do use water pans in there UDS. I put u-bolts in lower than may cooking rack in case I ever wanted to experiment with using a drip pan or water pan. It's all to to personal preference... I haven't done enough cooking on my UDS to say much about the "open pit" flavor, but it was a good change from my indirect weber kettle cooking...

h20loo 03-10-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdb25 (Post 1211355)
On the contrary, the UDS can be all things to all people. Just because someone wants to run a water pan in it (why, I don't know), doesn't mean anything. The UDS is about making something on the cheap, experimenting in a way that makes it your own, and creating the best Q ever.

Yup- you are absolutely correct. Very well said in fact. But I don't think I'm wrong!:biggrin:

h20loo 03-10-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjl (Post 1211363)

ML

My comment wasn't in keeping with my normal reserve nor the usual forum decorum. With your background I am sure you will make the UDS perform and if you are half as happy with your drums as most of us are, you will see where I was coming from. Good luck with your build.

Stef 03-10-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h20loo (Post 1211370)
Yup- you are absolutely correct. Very well said in fact. But I don't think I'm wrong!:biggrin:

Those who are wrong seldom do :wink:

chikenskin 03-11-2010 09:12 AM

mushcreek...
Thanks for the link on the stainless lid for my stainless UDS.
My stainless drum rim is just slightly larger than the steel one I had.
I really had to work the rim of the steel lid with a hammer and dolly to get it to seal. It's only temporary though until I get a dome lid.
I just couldn't wait to smoke some meat...

Smoothsmoke 03-11-2010 09:57 AM

Would you guys use drums that had chemicals previously stored in them?

bigtex52 03-11-2010 10:04 AM

Depends on what the chemicals were. Definitely not if highly toxic, pesticides, PCB's, etc.

Smoothsmoke 03-11-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtex52 (Post 1211765)
Depends on what the chemicals were. Definitely not if highly toxic, pesticides, PCB's, etc.

Sanitation chemicals. I better not, sounds too risky.

One more question. If I get a food grade drum sand blasted inside and out, is there a need to have it burned out as well?

KGB 03-11-2010 10:28 AM

85 Gallon UDS Build w pics

Got a few 85ers! -
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=80110

MR1980 03-11-2010 01:21 PM

Just picked up a 55 gal drum from a local sporting goods store for 8 bucks, the drums are filled with bear bait to sell to bear hunters. They are filled with bakery stuff that can't be made into food for human consumption, so alot of it is cookie dough that went bad etc. My question is about the inside of the barrel because it is burnt orange in color. As far as I know there weren't any hazardous chems inside so will a good burn do the job and do I need to make sure all the orange coating is removed. The lid is in good shape and it came with a metal compression like strap with a locking handle to secure the lid to the drum. I plan on using the lid for now because I don't have a dome lid yet. One question on the lid is that it has a gasket that seals it to the drum that feels like it is make of rubber so do I need to replace it or just remove it. Last question is that I have the bottom of a L'll Smokey Joe grill and it is 13" in diameter and stands 13" high, will it work as the charcoal basket?

Paul B 03-11-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chikenskin (Post 1211710)
mushcreek...
Thanks for the link on the stainless lid for my stainless UDS.
My stainless drum rim is just slightly larger than the steel one I had.
I really had to work the rim of the steel lid with a hammer and dolly to get it to seal. It's only temporary though until I get a dome lid.
I just couldn't wait to smoke some meat...

Don't put away your hammer and dolly!!! :biggrin::biggrin: I had to hammer away on my Arctic lid to fit my ss drum. Then I had to add some nuts and bolts and furnace gasket to keep it on and sealed, but, it works like a champ. Nuts and bolts were to keep it aligned on the drum rim. I have pics if you need to see.

Just sayin..........

Paul B
SS UDS