The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Drifter 10-25-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Hippie (Post 1066589)
It did? Who's economy?

"MADE IN CHINA"

Yes, it is made in China, just like a lot of stuff we all use every day. But in in order for us to purchase it in America, an American truck hauls it from and American port and delivers it to American stores for Americans to buy! And yes, I drive one of those American trucks (made in Mexico!!!!)

crundle 10-25-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h20loo (Post 1066374)
Crundle- that looks like the perfect simple barrel. I bet it will turn out lots of Q with very little babysitting.
I'm curious about the bolt head on the side of the barrel?
Could you edit your last post and throw an "enter" between the last two pictures- some peoples work computers won't allow them to see the third picture.

I am having some trouble finding the edit button for that post, but will keep looking for it!

The bolt head on the side is simply a 2" bolt with a washer on each side of the drum body and a nut on the inside to hold it nice and tight. There are 3 of them on the drum and they seem to hold the grill quite stably.

I figure that after a few attempts at using the grill I will get to know the temps fairly well, so I settled on throwing the thermometer on the lid, also partly because it had a 3" probe only, so it wouldn't really be reading the temperature correctly even at the grill height.

I am trying to source some oven thermometers with a longer probe to mount just below the grill, but unlike you guys over in the US, all of our BBQ suppliers seem to ignore the smoking aspect of BBQing.

I posted up pics of my UDS on an Aussie beer forum and someone responded with a PDF of cooking times and internal temps for smokers. The internal temp for chicken seemed low to me, but the cooking times were spot on, so I am hoping to give it a crack on some spare ribs for my next effort. With that in mind, does anyone have a link to a fairly concise thread anywhere that would explain how to prepare and cook up ribs for a BBQ newbie? I only ask because the search function is a bit restricted still until I get a few posts up, and I prefer to post about meaningful stuff rather than just to increase my post counts!

The site looks like it has a ton of information, and I obviously have a lot to learn about BBQing like you do over the pond - thanks for helping out.

cheers and beers,

Crundle

Old Hippie 10-26-2009 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crundle (Post 1067172)
I am having some trouble finding the edit button for that post, but will keep looking for it!

Click the FAQ button at the top of the page and type in "edit".
Quote:

I figure that after a few attempts at using the grill I will get to know the temps fairly well, so I settled on throwing the thermometer on the lid, also partly because it had a 3" probe only, so it wouldn't really be reading the temperature correctly even at the grill height. I am trying to source some oven thermometers with a longer probe to mount just below the grill, but unlike you guys over in the US, all of our BBQ suppliers seem to ignore the smoking aspect of BBQing.

Mount your short probe thermometer on the side of the drum just under the grill grate as described by many. Add 25 degrees F to this temperature and you will be in the ball park as to the temperature in the center of the drum. Center temperatures are GENERALLY 25-40 degrees F hotter than side wall temperatures.
Quote:

With that in mind, does anyone have a link to a fairly concise thread anywhere that would explain how to prepare and cook up ribs for a BBQ newbie? I only ask because the search function is a bit restricted still until I get a few posts up, and I prefer to post about meaningful stuff rather than just to increase my post counts!

The site looks like it has a ton of information.................

You answered your own question, there are a ton of recipe's and "how to's" here on THE BBQ BRETHREN web site as well as elsewhere. Are you using the SEARCH box at the bottom of the page? Have you tried a Google search off site?

h20loo 10-26-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highchief (Post 1066478)
you can see from the other pics that he has the cooking deck mounted down by the first rib in the barrel. That's the deck mounting bolt.

Can't get them!

Crundle- I find that if I respect the "24 inch rule" I don't need to foil or flip my ribs. I don't do much mopping but I do sauce some and they all stay nice and moist. You can get some good videos off youtube. If you search 3-2-1 ribs on here I'm sure you will get lots of hits.

MushCreek 10-26-2009 08:32 AM

You could look for a turkey fryer thermometer- they're usually 12" long. I just drilled a hole lengthwise through a bolt so I can slide the thermo in and out.

dgassaway 10-26-2009 04:26 PM

Walmart and Home Depot usually have 12" thermometers.

crundle 10-26-2009 05:27 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

It seems my posts are time limited to edit, so I missed the boat on that one!

I intend to be able to mount 3 grills in the drum if required, but being fairly keen on beer can chicken I wanted the bottom one to be mounted low enough that I could fit chickens in with a flat lid as my drum is too large in diameter to fit my Weber lid. My plan is to have the other grill positions 6" above each other to make it possible to easily remove a grill if needed and to provide flexibility in what I can cook at the one time.

I was directed by a PM to an index thread of sorts, and that has enough info to keep me reading for a long time while I learn the art of using this drum smoker.

Thanks for the hint re the 24" rule - my middle grill position will satisfy that rule, but for chickens I needed a touch more room. I reckon I could fit 8 chickens in the drum if needed when they are standing upright!

Thanks once again for making a new guy feel right at home. I am still getting used to the way this forum works ( a bit different in the subscription area to the forums I am in over here) so forgive me if I seem to be a bit slow on the uptake as to how powerful the search function seems to be. I will give the google site search a try to see how it fares.

cheers and beers,

Crundle

crundle 10-26-2009 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, here is the pdf that I got from a guy on the aussiehomebrewer.com forum about cooking temps and times. I think the times are fairly right (at least for beer can chicken so I am extrapolating that the rest are roughly in the zone), but the temps seem a bit low for chicken so I am guessing they are a bit low overall.

This probably came from this forum originally anyway, but a google search of the forum came up with nothing like it.

cheers,

Crundle

schellter 10-26-2009 06:15 PM

delete

schellter 10-26-2009 06:17 PM

delete

stevemiller 10-26-2009 06:49 PM

249 pages

DO I GET A" DEGREE IN DRUM" I JUST BECAME A PAID SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER AND HAVE NO QUESTIONS TO GET ME ABOVE MATCHLIGHT. LOVE THIS PLACE STEVE:icon_bugeyed

Meat Burner 10-26-2009 06:53 PM

Glade you made it through Steve. First bit of advise...loose the cap lock key brother. Now just start smoking everything in sight. Glad you are here.

dgassaway 10-26-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevemiller (Post 1068082)
DO I GET A" DEGREE IN DRUM" I JUST BECAME A PAID SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER AND HAVE NO QUESTIONS TO GET ME ABOVE MATCHLIGHT. LOVE THIS PLACE STEVE:icon_bugeyed

Sorry Steve, no degree yet, your education is just beginning.

Once you start cooking on the drum you'll find all kinds of mods and improvements to try out so have plenty of extra drums in stock.

I learn something new with each cook. Smoke often, learn as you go, enjoy the ride!

QuietOne 10-26-2009 07:41 PM

Wow a temperature chart I can actually fully relate to!!!! It's not in them F(unny) degrees.

motley que 10-26-2009 08:17 PM

If you are Steve Miller, I'd'take the money and run